unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Segfault when building GTK+ application with Meson
@ 2021-03-12 20:21 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2021-03-12 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello everyone,

I have a weird problem: when I create a Guix environment for GTK+ development
and when I use Meson to build the project I get a segmentation fault when I
run the compiled application. I have tried with a basic C example from Meson's
website[1]. Here is the environment manifest:

    (specifications->manifest
      '("gcc-toolchain" "meson" "ninja" "pkg-config" "gtk+@3"))

I enable it as usual: `guix environment -m guix.scm`. Then I compile it with
Meson as usual and run it:

    $ meson build
    $ cd build
    $ meson compile
    $ ./demo
    Segmentation fault

The C code, stripped down to the base basic of what it takes to trigger as
segfault:

    #include <gtk/gtk.h>
    #include <stdio.h>

    static void activate(GtkApplication *app, gpointer user_data) {
        GtkWidget *window;
        GtkWidget *label;

        window = gtk_application_window_new(app);  /* <--- Note this */
    }

    int main(int argc, char **argv) {
        GtkApplication *app;

        app = gtk_application_new(NULL, G_APPLICATION_FLAGS_NONE);
        puts("Hello");

        return 0;
    }

If I remove the marked line above the application terminates normally.
However, if I compile the above code with GCC it works fine:

    $ gcc $(pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-3.0) main.c
    hello

    $ gdb ./demo core.32123
    GNU gdb (GDB) 10.1
    Reading symbols from ./demo...
    [New LWP 32123]
    Using host libthread_db library "/gnu/store/
fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-glibc-2.31/lib/libthread_db.so.1".
    Core was generated by `./demo'.
    Program terminated with signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
    #0  0x00007fe962f75f2c in call_init (l=<optimized out>, argc=argc@entry=1,
argv=argv@entry=0x7ffdd0e22cf8,
        env=env@entry=0x7ffdd0e22d08) at dl-init.c:74
    74      dl-init.c: No such file or directory.

It would be really nice if you could help me track down the issue because it
affects more than just GTK+, but I have not been able to narrow its source down
any further. I have attached the source code (I hope that's OK with the
rules).

To provide some background: I want to get into GTK+ development and Vala, so I
tried running the Vala language server. It has a bug which has been fixed in
the current master branch, so I tried compiling from source, but I get a
segmentation fault there as well. The only dependencies GTK+ 3 and the Vala
language server have in common are glib and json-glib, so my guess is that's
it's something inside glib. The language server does not segfault if I let
Guix build it, only if I use Guix to set up an environment and then compile it
from source myself.

[1]: https://mesonbuild.com/Tutorial.html

[-- Attachment #2: main.c --]
[-- Type: text/x-csrc, Size: 745 bytes --]

#include <gtk/gtk.h>
#include <stdio.h>

static void activate(GtkApplication *app, gpointer user_data) {
	GtkWidget *window;
	GtkWidget *label;

	window = gtk_application_window_new(app);
	/* label = gtk_label_new("Hello GNOME!"); */
	/* gtk_container_add(GTK_CONTAINER(window), label); */
	/* gtk_window_set_title(GTK_WINDOW(window), "Welcome to GNOME"); */
	/* gtk_widget_show_all(window); */
}

int main(int argc, char **argv) {
	GtkApplication *app;
	int status;

	app = gtk_application_new(NULL, G_APPLICATION_FLAGS_NONE);
	puts("Hello");
	/* g_signal_connect(app, "activate", G_CALLBACK(activate), NULL); */
	/* status = g_application_run(G_APPLICATION(app), argc, argv); */
	/* g_object_unref(app); */

	/* return status; */
	return 0;
}

[-- Attachment #3: meson.build --]
[-- Type: text/x-meson, Size: 170 bytes --]

project('tutorial', 'c')
gtkdep = dependency('gtk+-3.0')
glibdep = [dependency('glib-2.0'), dependency('gobject-2.0')]
executable('demo', 'main.c', dependencies: gtkdep)

[-- Attachment #4: guix.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 129 bytes --]

;;; Manifest file for GNU Guix environment
(specifications->manifest
  '("gcc-toolchain" "meson" "ninja" "pkg-config" "gtk+@3"))

* Re: Segfault when building GTK+ application with Meson
@ 2021-03-14 15:41 HiPhish
From: HiPhish @ 2021-03-14 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I have tried running the application through GDB to print a backtrace, and
here is what it prints:

$ gdb ./build/src/vala-language-server
GNU gdb (GDB) 10.1

(gdb) run
Starting program: /home/hiphish/Applications/lsp/vala-language-server/build/
src/vala-language-server
Using host libthread_db library "/gnu/store/fa6wj5bxkj5ll1d7292a70knmyl7a0cr-
glibc-2.31/lib/libthread_db.so.1".

0x00007ffff7fe1f2c in call_init (l=<optimized out>, argc=argc@entry=1,
argv=argv@entry=0x7fffffffdd28,
    env=env@entry=0x7fffffffdd38) at dl-init.c:74
74	dl-init.c: No such file or directory.

(gdb) bt
#0  0x00007ffff7fe1f2c in call_init (l=<optimized out>, argc=argc@entry=1,
#1  0x00007ffff7fe20a1 in call_init (env=0x7fffffffdd38, argv=0x7fffffffdd28, argc=1,
l=<optimized out>) at dl-init.c:37
#2  _dl_init (main_map=0x7ffff7ffe1a0, argc=1, argv=0x7fffffffdd28, env=0x7fffffffdd38)
at dl-init.c:88
#3  0x00007ffff7fd308a in _dl_start_user () from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
#4  0x0000000000000001 in ?? ()
#5  0x00007fffffffe10e in ?? ()
#6  0x0000000000000000 in ?? ()

To me it looks like even before the segmentation fault happens even before the
main function has been called, and it happens in a system library. Is there a
dependency I am missing? I still don't understand why the program only crashes
if I compile it myself with dependencies from Guix, but not if I install the
application itself through Guix.