unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* Guix system on AQEMU HD fills
@ 2024-03-18 20:56 Brian O'Keefe
From: Brian O'Keefe @ 2024-03-18 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello

This is very probably simple but not for me. I've been installing and
reinstalling the latest GUIX OS in AQEMU. Aside from tweaks needed to
conform to the install instructions everything is mostly good. But
that's after 8 install attempts! However, yesterday I got a warning from
my Ubuntu host that my HD was dangerously low. So I jettisoned as much
data as I could in a few minutes, including my several VMs. I saw that
my ~/.aqemu folder was packed and the culprit was the virtual GUIX
machine which had far exceeded its 25GB capacity. I managed to regain
48GB by deleting it and other data. I am wanting to run GUIX as a VM but
this seems to be an issue as I just reinstalled it and just running a
"reconfigure" to set my PATH I see that the VM has already swelled to
over 20GB. It also seems that with each "guix pull" or "guix refresh" or
"guix upgrade" more and more data is being stored. When packages are
refreshed or repositories updated and then the system upgraded, aren't
the old packages overwritten or dumped, or something? It looks like my
new VM HD of 30GB will soon be filled. Why that affects my host OS, I
don't know. I'd think that the host would just stay at whatever storage
it has left if the VM HD fills up.

Many thanks!!

* Re: Guix system on AQEMU HD fills
@ 2024-03-18 22:48 ` Owen T. Heisler
From: Owen T. Heisler @ 2024-03-18 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian O'Keefe, help-guix

On 3/18/24 15:56, Brian O'Keefe wrote:
> I've been installing and
> reinstalling the latest GUIX OS in AQEMU.

> yesterday I got a warning from
> my Ubuntu host that my HD was dangerously low.

> I saw that
> my ~/.aqemu folder was packed and the culprit was the virtual GUIX
> machine which had far exceeded its 25GB capacity.

If you created a 25 GB hard drive with AQEMU (that's a QEMU front-end,
right?), then the `guix.qcow2` hard drive image shouldn't get much
bigger than 25 GB. However if AQEMU is using qcow2 snapshots, then the
image will grow as much as necessary to keep all the snapshot data.

> It also seems that with each "guix pull" or "guix refresh" or
> "guix upgrade" more and more data is being stored.
Run `guix gc -d` to delete all old generations. You will not be able to
roll-back the Guix system to a previous generation once you have deleted it.

> Why that affects my host OS, I don't know
Yeah, that seems odd. The only thing that comes to my mind is qcow2
snapshots as I mentioned above.

* Re: Guix system on AQEMU HD fills
@ 2024-03-19  0:35   ` Brian O'Keefe
From: Brian O'Keefe @ 2024-03-19  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Thanks Owen. I used the .iso image in the QEMU install. I will Run `guix
gc -d` to delete all old generations. I have no need to rollback (yet!)
I'm not using VBox as I have in the past, wanting to using FOSS apps.
I'll keep track of disk usage. Luckily this is experimental and not a
production set-up.