unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
From: Brian O'Keefe <okeefe@cybermesa.com>
To: help-guix@gnu.org
Subject: Guix system on AQEMU HD fills
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 14:56:25 -0600	[thread overview]

Hello

This is very probably simple but not for me. I've been installing and
reinstalling the latest GUIX OS in AQEMU. Aside from tweaks needed to
conform to the install instructions everything is mostly good. But
that's after 8 install attempts! However, yesterday I got a warning from
my Ubuntu host that my HD was dangerously low. So I jettisoned as much
data as I could in a few minutes, including my several VMs. I saw that
my ~/.aqemu folder was packed and the culprit was the virtual GUIX
machine which had far exceeded its 25GB capacity. I managed to regain
48GB by deleting it and other data. I am wanting to run GUIX as a VM but
this seems to be an issue as I just reinstalled it and just running a
"reconfigure" to set my PATH I see that the VM has already swelled to
over 20GB. It also seems that with each "guix pull" or "guix refresh" or
"guix upgrade" more and more data is being stored. When packages are
refreshed or repositories updated and then the system upgraded, aren't
the old packages overwritten or dumped, or something? It looks like my
new VM HD of 30GB will soon be filled. Why that affects my host OS, I
don't know. I'd think that the host would just stay at whatever storage
it has left if the VM HD fills up.

Many thanks!!