unofficial mirror of help-guix@gnu.org
* ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-19 22:19 Mason Hock
From: Mason Hock @ 2019-04-19 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I see that ungoogled-chromium is included in the guix repo. I was
wondering if you were aware of these licensing issues[1] in Chromium and
have determined that they are either not a FSDG issue or not present in
ungoogled-chromium.

Thanks,

Mason

[1] https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail_ezt?id=28291

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-20  0:54 ` beoram
From: beoram @ 2019-04-20  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

I can't say I've been successful in installing ungoogled-chromium on
Guix in any case.

--
Dr Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-20  7:27 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-04-20  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mason Hock; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Mason,

> I see that ungoogled-chromium is included in the guix repo. I was
> wondering if you were aware of these licensing issues[1] in Chromium and
> have determined that they are either not a FSDG issue or not present in
> ungoogled-chromium.

This topic has been discussed multiple times on this list and the GNU
list for libre systems, so yes, we are aware of licensing issues in
Chromium itself, and remaining issues in ungoogled chromium were
investigated as well.

--
Ricardo

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-20 18:12   ` Mason Hock
From: Mason Hock @ 2019-04-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Thanks Ricardo,

> This topic has been discussed multiple times on this list and the GNU
> list for libre systems, so yes, we are aware of licensing issues in
> Chromium itself, and remaining issues in ungoogled chromium were
> investigated as well.

Sorry for not fully doing my homework. I did not find anything on this
list except for this message,[1] but after searching gnu-linux-libre I
do see and have now read several threads including this one.[2] I have
also taken a look at Guix's package source for ungoogled-chromium, and I
think everything seems clear now, but if you don't mind I'd appreciate
clarification on one point:

Guix's package source contains what appears to me to be a whitelist of
"preserved-third-party-files", each labeled with a known free license,
implying that all other upstream third-party files, including any
problematic ones, are excluded. If I'm understanding this correctly,
does this mean that ungoogled-chromium *as packaged by Guix* is
completely free, but that this should not be taken to mean that upstream
is necessarily completely free?

Thanks. I understand if you are weary of this topic, and I hope you
don't mind providing this one clarification.

Mason

[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-09/msg00122.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2019-02/msg00000.html
[3] https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/chromium.scm

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-20 19:59     ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2019-04-20 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, Mason Hock, Ricardo Wurmus

Le 20 avril 2019 20:12:33 GMT+02:00, Mason Hock <mason@masonhock.com> a écrit :
>Thanks Ricardo,
>
>> This topic has been discussed multiple times on this list and the GNU
>> list for libre systems, so yes, we are aware of licensing issues in
>> Chromium itself, and remaining issues in ungoogled chromium were
>> investigated as well.
>
>Sorry for not fully doing my homework. I did not find anything on this
>list except for this message,[1] but after searching gnu-linux-libre I
>do see and have now read several threads including this one.[2] I have
>also taken a look at Guix's package source for ungoogled-chromium, and
>think everything seems clear now, but if you don't mind I'd appreciate
>clarification on one point:
>
>Guix's package source contains what appears to me to be a whitelist of
>"preserved-third-party-files", each labeled with a known free license,
>implying that all other upstream third-party files, including any
>problematic ones, are excluded. If I'm understanding this correctly,
>does this mean that ungoogled-chromium *as packaged by Guix* is
>completely free, but that this should not be taken to mean that
>upstream
>is necessarily completely free?
>
>Thanks. I understand if you are weary of this topic, and I hope you
>don't mind providing this one clarification.
>
>Mason
>
>[1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2018-09/msg00122.html
>[2]
>https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2019-02/msg00000.html
>[3]
>https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/packages/chromium.scm

You're absolutely right. To the best of our knowledge, ungoogled-chromium as packaged in guix is completely free, while we know upstream has freedom issues. Of course if you find that we were mistaken, we will take any step necessary to correct that mistake :)

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2019-04-20 20:10       ` Mason Hock
From: Mason Hock @ 2019-04-20 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julien Lepiller; +Cc: help-guix

On 04/20, Julien Lepiller wrote:
> You're absolutely right. To the best of our knowledge, ungoogled-chromium as packaged in guix is completely free, while we know upstream has freedom issues. Of course if you find that we were mistaken, we will take any step necessary to correct that mistake :)

Cool. Thanks for the clarification, and thanks to all the Guix devs for
your hard work.

Best,

Mason

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 12:02 Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2020-03-22 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Hello—

I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.

I think this suggestion should not happen.

—Marco

[1]: https://meet.jit.si/

* Re: ungoogled-chromium suggests extension
@ 2020-03-22 12:17 ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2020-03-22 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix

Je 22 Mar 13:02 skribis Marco:
> Hello—
>
> I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
> main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
> Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
> non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.
>
> I think this suggestion should not happen.

I am using Chromium 80.0 on Guix System:

$ file $(which chromium)
/home/marco/.guix-profile/bin/chromium: symbolic link to /gnu/store/z3r5sf0q0jmb2yhxqpag3snlhvnbsanf-ungoogled-chromium-80.0.3987.132-0.7e68f18/bin/chromium

I think this should not be considered a bug when meet.jit.si is
suggesting to install this extension.  It happens when I go there, not
when I go to slashdot.org, for instance.  It would be weird if
meet.jit.si is suggesting this extension.

Any ideas?

—Marco

[1]: https://meet.jit.si/

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 12:31 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-03-22 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten, help-guix

Marco van Hulten <marco@hulten.org> writes:

> I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
> main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
> Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
> non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.

Are you suggesting that ungoogled-chromium inserts the ad[0] into the
meet.jit.si web page?  I have never seen that banner before, and can not
find any references to meet.jit.si in the ungoogled-chromium source code.

[0] Search for <div class="chrome-extension-banner"> in the HTML.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 12:37 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2020-03-22 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix

Hi Marco,

> I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
> main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
> Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
> non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.

It seems to me that these suggestions are triggered by the website.
We don’t attempt to filter website contents.

--
Ricardo

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 12:58   ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2020-03-22 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: help-guix

Ricardo—

Je 22 Mar 13:37 skribis Ricardo:
> > I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
> > main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
> > Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
> > non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.
>
> It seems to me that these suggestions are triggered by the website.
> We don’t attempt to filter website contents.

Thanks for this info, also Marius.  Then there is no issue with the
ungoogled-chromium package.

I might look into what meet.jit.si is doing.

—Marco

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 13:14     ` Vagrant Cascadian
From: Vagrant Cascadian @ 2020-03-22 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix

On 2020-03-22, Marco van Hulten wrote:
> Je 22 Mar 13:37 skribis Ricardo:
>> > I installed ungoogled-chromium.  When it starts and I browse to the
>> > main Jitsi instance [1], it wants to install the extension for Google
>> > Calendar and Office 365 integration.  I don't know if those are
>> > non-free softwares, but they at least provide non-free web services.

FWIW, I found that popup surprising too...

> I might look into what meet.jit.si is doing.

I'm curious if you can get audio or microphone access using
ungoogled-chromium on meet.jit.si... video worked fine for me, but
neither audio output nor microphone input worked.  Are there optional
plugins needed to make audio work with ungoogled-chromium?

On the same system, audio output worked fine with icecat, though
meet.jit.si wasn't supported at all on icecat.

live well,
  vagrant

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 14:16       ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-03-22 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian, Marco van Hulten; +Cc: help-guix

Vagrant Cascadian <vagrant@debian.org> writes:

> I'm curious if you can get audio or microphone access using
> ungoogled-chromium on meet.jit.si... video worked fine for me, but
> neither audio output nor microphone input worked.  Are there optional
> plugins needed to make audio work with ungoogled-chromium?

Early revisions of ungoogled-chromium had a bug where websites were
prevented from accessing your microphone.

Check if ~/.config/chromium/Default/Preferences has an entry like

  "audio_capture_enabled": false

Removing or inverting that setting should fix the problem in that case.

HTH,
Marius

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ungoogled-chromium
@ 2020-03-22 16:18       ` Marco van Hulten
From: Marco van Hulten @ 2020-03-22 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vagrant Cascadian; +Cc: help-guix

Vagrant—

Je 22 Mar 06:14 skribis Vagrant:
> I'm curious if you can get audio or microphone access using
> ungoogled-chromium on meet.jit.si... video worked fine for me, but
> neither audio output nor microphone input worked.  Are there optional
> plugins needed to make audio work with ungoogled-chromium?

No, it worked out-of-the-box for me.  I am using a USB-connected
microphone (C-Media Blue Snowball).

I don't have an audio_capture_enabled line in Chromium's Preferences.

> On the same system, audio output worked fine with icecat, though
> meet.jit.si wasn't supported at all on icecat.

Same experience for me.  I vaguely remember a message on this list (or
guix-devel) about media input issues with Icecat, possibly related to
WebRTC.

—Marco