unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* Re: Astronomy related software in Guix
       [not found] ` <f9399758-c9c6-436a-b679-daf602518173@debian.org>
@ 2023-10-16 18:59   ` Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2023-10-16 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science; +Cc: olebole, tikhonenko

Thank you Ole for your reply.

I'd pin this thread in Guix Science mailing list to attract anyone
interested in this subject.

Some of the listed projects are already available (cfitsio, wcslib,
wcstools, astropy, sunpy, jwst, ...) some are still in review (GDL, plplot).

Working in collaboration with Iliya to bring Nemo to Guix.

Regards,
Oleg

@ 2023-10-18  8:52     ` Hugo Buddelmeijer
From: Hugo Buddelmeijer @ 2023-10-18  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-science, olebole, tikhonenko

Hi Oleg, Ole,

I love Guix, and astronomy, so I'm willing to do some of the work to
get astronomy software working.

I concur with Ole in the priority list; to summarize and to add some:
- Python stuff, which is mostly already in Guix, or can otherwise (for
now) be installed through pip
- ds9, wcslib, wcstools, cfitsio, ftools-fv
- Source-Extractor and other astrometic [1] software (SWarp, SCAMP for me)
- Java tools, Topcat [3] / Aladin [4], those are also just a jar-file
away in the meantime
- ESO (European Southern Observatory) software [2]: cpl, esorex
- Older stuff, IRAF, x11iraf, pyRAF, ESO-MIDAS

My plan was/is to contribute some of these packages, but so far have
not yet gotten to it. Most of my 'Guix-time' is spent trying to get
everything that already exists to work the way I want. For example,
getting power management to work on my laptop is next on my list.
However, what I would certainly do is send patches to keep these
packages updated if they would be in guix, because I would use most of
them.

I did manage to compile some of the software on a clean Guix system
(like cfitsio IIRC). I noticed that some of the old libraries rely on
/bin/cp and similar paths. I recall finding some release notes from
the 90s explicitly stating these paths are hardcoded to prevent
problems that probably don't exist anymore. I didn't know how to fix
those path-dependencies properly in a Guix package since at that point
I never made a Guix package, so I just added symlinks in my
config.scm. I realized that starting with converting those old
libraries would be biting off more than I could chew, so I'm planning
to first create some simpler Guix packages, like some more Python
libraries; I did my first 'guix import' experiments last week.

I do co-maintain some astronomy related conda-forge packages (some
with Ole), and those recipes (=build scripts) occasionally contain
some comments about problematic behaviour of these software, e.g. for
cpl [5]. I suppose the debian packages might also include some
workarounds that we could consult when creating Guix packages.

FWIW, I didn't mind becoming a conda-forge maintainer, because almost
everything is automated. E.g. a bot automatically creates a merge
request when a new version of a package is out and it is usually only
a single click ('merge') to get the conda package updated. I realized
I need at least some automation to commit to being a package
maintainer (even though that doesn't seem to be an official role in
Guix). So my goal is to first set up my own Cuirass server, and then
see what I can automate from there; but I haven't gotten to that yet,
because I'm still in the get-my-work-machine-comfortable-phase.

Hugo

[1] https://www.astromatic.net/software/
[2] https://www.eso.org/sci/software.html
[3] https://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/topcat/