unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
From: Hugo Buddelmeijer <hugo@buddelmeijer.nl>
To: Sharlatan Hellseher <sharlatanus@gmail.com>
Cc: guix-science@gnu.org, olebole@debian.org, tikhonenko@mpe.mpg.de
Subject: Re: Astronomy related software in Guix
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2023 10:52:48 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Oleg, Ole,

I love Guix, and astronomy, so I'm willing to do some of the work to
get astronomy software working.

I concur with Ole in the priority list; to summarize and to add some:
- Python stuff, which is mostly already in Guix, or can otherwise (for
now) be installed through pip
- ds9, wcslib, wcstools, cfitsio, ftools-fv
- Source-Extractor and other astrometic [1] software (SWarp, SCAMP for me)
- Java tools, Topcat [3] / Aladin [4], those are also just a jar-file
away in the meantime
- ESO (European Southern Observatory) software [2]: cpl, esorex
- Older stuff, IRAF, x11iraf, pyRAF, ESO-MIDAS

My plan was/is to contribute some of these packages, but so far have
not yet gotten to it. Most of my 'Guix-time' is spent trying to get
everything that already exists to work the way I want. For example,
getting power management to work on my laptop is next on my list.
However, what I would certainly do is send patches to keep these
packages updated if they would be in guix, because I would use most of
them.

I did manage to compile some of the software on a clean Guix system
(like cfitsio IIRC). I noticed that some of the old libraries rely on
/bin/cp and similar paths. I recall finding some release notes from
the 90s explicitly stating these paths are hardcoded to prevent
problems that probably don't exist anymore. I didn't know how to fix
those path-dependencies properly in a Guix package since at that point
I never made a Guix package, so I just added symlinks in my
config.scm. I realized that starting with converting those old
libraries would be biting off more than I could chew, so I'm planning
to first create some simpler Guix packages, like some more Python
libraries; I did my first 'guix import' experiments last week.

I do co-maintain some astronomy related conda-forge packages (some
with Ole), and those recipes (=build scripts) occasionally contain
some comments about problematic behaviour of these software, e.g. for
cpl [5]. I suppose the debian packages might also include some
workarounds that we could consult when creating Guix packages.

FWIW, I didn't mind becoming a conda-forge maintainer, because almost
everything is automated. E.g. a bot automatically creates a merge
request when a new version of a package is out and it is usually only
a single click ('merge') to get the conda package updated. I realized
I need at least some automation to commit to being a package
maintainer (even though that doesn't seem to be an official role in
Guix). So my goal is to first set up my own Cuirass server, and then
see what I can automate from there; but I haven't gotten to that yet,
because I'm still in the get-my-work-machine-comfortable-phase.

Hugo

[1] https://www.astromatic.net/software/
[2] https://www.eso.org/sci/software.html
[3] https://www.star.bris.ac.uk/~mbt/topcat/