unofficial mirror of guix-science@gnu.org
* Installing python-tensorflow using Substitute
@ 2024-04-16 19:40 Zain Jabbar
From: Zain Jabbar @ 2024-04-16 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-science

Aloha Guix Science,

Request: I would like to install `python-tensorflow`.

Possible Solution: I would like to use the substitute available on the
`guix.bordeaux.inria.fr` server. According to `guix weather
python-tensorflow` and this link:

https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr/build/678221/details

I believe that after authenticating the key to the server and adding
the server url to the list of substitutes I should be ready to use the
substitutes.

Weird Issues with Manual Compilation: I have not been successful in
building the program on my machine. While compiling, Guix / Bazel will
crash at random points during the compilation process. I know it is
not consistent by scanning the logs and seeing different numbers
`[X/Y]` when it crashes. I do not think this is an issue with the
package definition as the servers are building the program just fine.
I have lost track of the error logs, but I also do not think they are
very relevant because of this randomness.

Extra Information: Forgive me if this counts as an advertisement on
the mailing list, but here is my guix channel which I pull from to
update my configuration.

https://github.com/Zaijab/guix-channel

The main part that is relevant is this directory:

https://github.com/Zaijab/guix-channel/blob/main/zaijab/systems/based-system.scm

Which defines the system I use (variable is `tao-operating-system`). I
believe by doing a system reconfigure and restarting would properly
use the substitutes from the server. I notice guix checking the
substitutes at `https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr` when running `guix
pull` and the like.

Please let me know how I can give further information and better
format my inquiry.

--
Mahalo,
Zain Jabbar

* Re: Installing python-tensorflow using Substitute
@ 2024-04-17 21:30 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-04-17 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zain Jabbar; +Cc: guix-science

Hi,

> Request: I would like to install `python-tensorflow`.
>
> Possible Solution: I would like to use the substitute available on the
> `guix.bordeaux.inria.fr` server. According to `guix weather
> python-tensorflow` and this link:
>
> https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr/build/678221/details
>
> I believe that after authenticating the key to the server and adding
> the server url to the list of substitutes I should be ready to use the
> substitutes.

Correct.  There appear to be some strange issues with the packages that
use the bazel-build-system.  When you use "guix build --no-grafts
python-tensorflow" do you get a binary from the substitute server?

> Weird Issues with Manual Compilation: I have not been successful in
> building the program on my machine. While compiling, Guix / Bazel will
> crash at random points during the compilation process. I know it is
> not consistent by scanning the logs and seeing different numbers
> `[X/Y]` when it crashes.

You are probably running out of memory.  The build is very costly.
Whenever I do this on my laptop I run *only* the build and nothing else
(not my browser, not even Emacs).

--
Ricardo

* Re: Installing python-tensorflow using Substitute
@ 2024-04-17 21:57   ` Zain Jabbar
From: Zain Jabbar @ 2024-04-17 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-science

Aloha,

Thank you for your reply. It seems as though there were updates and
`python-tensorflow` needs to be rebuilt by the substitute server. That
is, `guix weather python-tensorflow` returns no usable substitutes at
the moment, and build 680683 on the server has failed

https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr/build/680683/details

I will let you know how your commands work when these other issues are
resolved.
But they seem promising, I had to build `jaxlib` manually before and
now it downloaded the substitute!

I also appreciate the probable explanation for my errors. If the
substitute does not work later I will try to run the build without any
other applications (not even Emacs! How terrifying!!).

Slightly unrelated, but thank you for adding `python-tensorflow` to
begin with. I saw some of your messages on IRC about getting 2.0+ to
work on Guix and your commit to the repo. Adding this package to my
local system is awesome! Not to mention you can add it to Guix Jupyter
notebooks too.

--

@ 2024-04-18  8:43     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2024-04-18  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zain Jabbar; +Cc: guix-science

Zain Jabbar <zaijab2000@gmail.com> writes:

> Thank you for your reply. It seems as though there were updates and
> `python-tensorflow` needs to be rebuilt by the substitute server. That
> is, `guix weather python-tensorflow` returns no usable substitutes at
> the moment, and build 680683 on the server has failed
>
> https://guix.bordeaux.inria.fr/build/680683/details

The logs for the tensorflow build say:

  ERROR: I/O error while writing action log: write (No space left on device)

These builds are a challenge for the nodes in the Inria build farm.  :-/

--
Ricardo