unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-01-09 16:18 John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-09 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello everyone,

I started packaging FreeCAD in a personal channel (https://www.github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel). Has anyone already started or want to collaborate?  I’m currently working on the python Shiboken library dependency which I could use some help on. There are a few other things that need shoring up like licensing research, making other dependencies work and generally getting the thing to compile.

All the best,

John

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-01-11  9:35 Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-01-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsoo1, guix-devel

Hi John,

This is good news indeed for Guix-using engineers and architects.  I
shall follow developments with interest.

I can look after the OpenCASCADE dependency too.  This package is due
an update but upstream development has been slow of late.  Debian have
switched to the OCCT version for FreeCAD and I am thinking that it
would be best for Guix to follow suit.  This would entail the
introduction of a new opencascade-occt package, which I plan to do
soon, if no-one beats me to it!

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-01-11 19:42 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-11 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DA41336D-0210-44D7-8238-42D427260622; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Paul,

I did not know Debian changed their version of opencascade. I will have to double check that they are using OCCT for FreeCAD still.

- John

> On Jan 11, 2019, at 1:35 AM, Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> This is good news indeed for Guix-using engineers and architects.  I
> shall follow developments with interest.
>
> I can look after the OpenCASCADE dependency too.  This package is due
> an update but upstream development has been slow of late.  Debian have
> switched to the OCCT version for FreeCAD and I am thinking that it
> would be best for Guix to follow suit.  This would entail the
> introduction of a new opencascade-occt package, which I plan to do
> soon, if no-one beats me to it!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-01-14 12:42 Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-01-14 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jsoo1, guix-devel

Hi John,

> I did not know Debian changed their version of opencascade

There are two versions of OpenCASCADE in Debian, named 'liboce' and
'libocct'.  'occt' is the upstream variant, 'oce' is the community
maintained variant.  Historically, Debian has switched between the two
as licence requirements dictated.

Currently, both are packaged and FreeCAD version 0.17 depends on
liboce.  However, libocct is being more actively maintained and I
believe the intention for Debian FreeCAD version 0.18 is for the
dependency to switch to libocct.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-01-15 23:38 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-01-15 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Paul,

Thank you for saving me the headache!  I’ll keep this posted with progress.

- John

> On Jan 14, 2019, at 4:42 AM, Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
>> I did not know Debian changed their version of opencascade
>
> There are two versions of OpenCASCADE in Debian, named 'liboce' and
> 'libocct'.  'occt' is the upstream variant, 'oce' is the community
> maintained variant.  Historically, Debian has switched between the two
> as licence requirements dictated.
>
> Currently, both are packaged and FreeCAD version 0.17 depends on
> liboce.  However, libocct is being more actively maintained and I
> believe the intention for Debian FreeCAD version 0.18 is for the
> dependency to switch to libocct.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-02-14 15:18 ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-02-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

I have some small updates and asking for help on freecad (I’m working from my channel github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel). I have been getting a little stuck building the pyside2 dependencies. It seems like freecad is moving from the pyside1 tools (Shiboken and pyside) to pyside2 for the 0.18 release (see https://wiki.qt.io/Qt_for_Python). These packages have a custom setup.py that I could use a hand porting to a guix package. As far as I understand, building upside would complete all the required third party packages listed on the freecad wiki: https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Third_Party_Libraries.

- John

> On Jan 14, 2019, at 4:42 AM, Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
>> I did not know Debian changed their version of opencascade
>
> There are two versions of OpenCASCADE in Debian, named 'liboce' and
> 'libocct'.  'occt' is the upstream variant, 'oce' is the community
> maintained variant.  Historically, Debian has switched between the two
> as licence requirements dictated.
>
> Currently, both are packaged and FreeCAD version 0.17 depends on
> liboce.  However, libocct is being more actively maintained and I
> believe the intention for Debian FreeCAD version 0.18 is for the
> dependency to switch to libocct.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-02-15 17:20   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-02-15 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi John,

> I have been getting a little stuck building the pyside2 dependencies

There has been an effort to package pyside2 for Debian.  This has been
completed in the last six months.

A good place to look for information is
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyside2

You can browse the source code and follow the links to the 'debian'
directory, which contains the files that govern the packaging process.
In general for Debian packages, the 'rules' file is worth reading and
the 'patches' directory has the changes to the upstream code.

One element that could be important in Guix is an update of patchelf to
a recent commit (see 'update-patchelf.patch' in the patches directory).

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-02-15 18:33     ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-02-15 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: guix-devel

Thanks so much Paul! This is really helpful!

> On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
>> I have been getting a little stuck building the pyside2 dependencies
>
> There has been an effort to package pyside2 for Debian.  This has been
> completed in the last six months.
>
> A good place to look for information is
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyside2
>
> You can browse the source code and follow the links to the 'debian'
> directory, which contains the files that govern the packaging process.
> In general for Debian packages, the 'rules' file is worth reading and
> the 'patches' directory has the changes to the upstream code.
>
> One element that could be important in Guix is an update of patchelf to
> a recent commit (see 'update-patchelf.patch' in the patches directory).
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-03-10  2:14       ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-03-10  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi guix,

Just a quick update. I have little to report on freecad. I am still stuck
packaging pyside2. I have looked over the debian packaging rules but I am
unfamiliar with their packaging process. I did some research and it looks
as though they are using the normal pybuild process with some alterations
to some paths afterward.  The package completely fails to compile for me
and I am no expert on python build tooling. Here's what I have tried so far
and the error: https://paste.debian.net/1072533. Any help would be very
appreciated.

Thanks,

John

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> wrote:

> Thanks so much Paul! This is really helpful!
>
> > On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Paul Garlick <
> pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi John,
> >
> >> I have been getting a little stuck building the pyside2 dependencies
> >
> > There has been an effort to package pyside2 for Debian.  This has been
> > completed in the last six months.
> >
> > A good place to look for information is
> > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyside2
> >
> > You can browse the source code and follow the links to the 'debian'
> > directory, which contains the files that govern the packaging process.
> > In general for Debian packages, the 'rules' file is worth reading and
> > the 'patches' directory has the changes to the upstream code.
> >
> > One element that could be important in Guix is an update of patchelf to
> > a recent commit (see 'update-patchelf.patch' in the patches directory).
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-03-10  7:25         ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-03-10  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019 at 02:14:15AM +0000, John Soo wrote:
> Hi guix,
>
> Just a quick update. I have little to report on freecad. I am still stuck
> packaging pyside2. I have looked over the debian packaging rules but I am
> unfamiliar with their packaging process. I did some research and it looks
> as though they are using the normal pybuild process with some alterations
> to some paths afterward.  The package completely fails to compile for me
> and I am no expert on python build tooling. Here's what I have tried so far
> and the error: https://paste.debian.net/1072533. Any help would be very
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John
>
> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 6:33 PM John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Thanks so much Paul! This is really helpful!
> >
> > > On Feb 15, 2019, at 9:20 AM, Paul Garlick <
> > pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi John,

> > > There has been an effort to package pyside2 for Debian.  This has been
> > > completed in the last six months.
> > >
> > > A good place to look for information is
> > > https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyside2
> > >
> > > You can browse the source code and follow the links to the 'debian'
> > > directory, which contains the files that govern the packaging process.
> > > In general for Debian packages, the 'rules' file is worth reading and
> > > the 'patches' directory has the changes to the upstream code.
> > >
> > > One element that could be important in Guix is an update of patchelf to
> > > a recent commit (see 'update-patchelf.patch' in the patches directory).
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Paul.

I haven't tried building it myself yet, but two things come to mind:
Try using qtbase instead of qt, it has a much smaller footprint and will
likely be requested when it's time to include the package in Guix.

You're using version 5.12.1, and in Guix we have qt 5.11.3. It's likely
the errors you're getting are because the version of Qt is different.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-03-12 15:15           ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-03-12 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Thanks Efraim!

That helped a lot. I Switched to version 5.11.3 and swapped qt for qtbase
and some extra qt libraries and that moved me past the one blocker. Now I
am faced with another challenge. I packaged Shiboken 1 previously when I
did not realize freecad moved to pyside2; in that process I followed the
nix packaging strategy of building all the bundled libraries separately.  I
am now running into the same issues I had prior to splitting up Shiboken 1
while building pyside2. The python build system in pyside2 shells out to
cmake for most of the build process.  That means it does not use
cmake-build-system. Does pyside2 need to be split into parts now? It is
more challenging for pyside2 that Shiboken 1 because the sources for all
the libraries are shipped together.  Here's the source, for reference:
https://code.qt.io/cgit/pyside/pyside-setup.git/

Thank you all,

John

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-05-09 13:50             ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-05-09 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello Guix,

I have a few updates on progress packaging FreeCAD.

  - Thanks to the PySide developers, I have a rough draft of PySide2,
PySide2-tools and Shiboken2 built.
  - FreeCAD gets through the build phase at version 0.18.1 (the current
release) thanks to the PySide2 dependency.
  - Pivy, an optional dependency, still does not build yet, though I have
been making some progress.
  - Coin has been undergoing a lot of development since I last defined the
package and the updates will require extra work to package.
  - I'm confused by some licenses and I will probably ask for help
clarifying them when I submit a patch,

Thanks for your help and guidance,

John

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-05-28 20:21           ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-05-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel; +Cc: Paul Garlick

Hi all,

I have some more news on FreeCAD.

 - I responded to two tickets in two coin repos that will be needed to update coin and Pivy:
  + ticket on soqt: https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/soqt/issues/6/wrong-path-for-soqt_library_dirs
  + ticket on coin: https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/coin/issues/175/coin-build-errors-with-linux-and-osx
 - FreeCAD is compiling, but there is an install-phase error involving the Salome library SMESH. FreeCAD bundles smesh and a couple other libraries in the source. I inquired on their forum and have a few steps I can try this week.
  + I would like to use FreeCAD’s versions if possible. What is our stance on using bundled libraries?
  + Advantages of using the SMESH bundled with FreeCAD include not needing to package the various Salome libraries needed to compile SMESH.  Some of those transitive dependencies include omniORB and opencascade itself. I spent a lot of this weekend trying to package SMESH and I came to realize that if we were to package it, we would need to also package opencascade-occt and we would not be able to use oce which we have already.

Thanks for your patience on this. As always, my work is available on master at https://github.com/jsoo1/guix-channel. Thanks for your patience on this one. It has been a long and instructive exercise. I will be on vacation the coming two weeks, so I won’t be able to work on it. I know it’s already been months, now and I hope it can be done in maybe two more. Hopefully before the next release of FreeCAD.

- John

@ 2019-05-30 16:23             ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-30 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo, Guix-devel

Hi John,

It is good to hear that you have made such good progress on packaging
FreeCAD.

> we would need to also package opencascade-occt

I can help with this part.  I am planning to introduce the opencascade-
occt package in order to upgrade gmsh, which also depends on
OpenCASCADE.

All being well, I should be able to start on this within the next two
weeks.  I will update this thread when the package is ready.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-05-30 17:23               ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-05-30 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Thanks Paul!

I’m looking forward to it. Another question: do we tend to try to use guix packages whenever a package ships bundled with some third party source?

- John

> On May 30, 2019, at 9:23 AM, Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> It is good to hear that you have made such good progress on packaging
> FreeCAD.
>
>> we would need to also package opencascade-occt
>
> I can help with this part.  I am planning to introduce the opencascade-
> occt package in order to upgrade gmsh, which also depends on
> OpenCASCADE.
>
> All being well, I should be able to start on this within the next two
> weeks.  I will update this thread when the package is ready.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-05-30 23:23                 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-30 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi John,

> Another question: do we tend to try to use guix packages whenever a
package
> ships bundled with some third party source?

Yes.  The preference is to use Guix packages where possible.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-18  8:27                   ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-06-18  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Guix!

I'm excited to announce that I opened FreeCAD for the first time this
evening thanks most recently to support on the FreeCAD forum! I am no
expert in the use of the application, however, so I am sure some issues
might be discovered with use. I already know of the following two issues:

 - Bundled third party packages. Among them: SMESH (from salome or a fork),
Pivy (from coin3D), libkdtree++ (seems like there is no live source or
maintainer), and a few others.

 - License help. FreeCAD itself is under the gpl 2.1+, however I think I
need some guidance providing the correct licenses (both for FreeCAD and the
bundled source)

Now where do I put the package definition in gnu/packages? I have several
module definitions in my channel:
 - salome.scm for libmedfile, smesh and the supporting infrastructure
 - coin3d.scm for coin3d, soqt, and pivy (WIP)
 - python-pyside.scm for Shiboken2, Pyside2, and Pyside2-tools
 - libarea.scm for libarea
 - libspnav.scm for libspnav and
 - freecad.scm for FreeCAD itself

I am happy to finally learn to use the app!

- John

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:23 PM Paul Garlick <
pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> > Another question: do we tend to try to use guix packages whenever a
> package
> > ships bundled with some third party source?
>
> Yes.  The preference is to use Guix packages where possible.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-18 18:11                     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-06-18 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello,p

John Soo <jsoo1@asu.edu> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jún. 18., Ke 10:27):

> Hi Guix!
>
> I'm excited to announce that I opened FreeCAD for the first time this
> evening thanks most recently to support on the FreeCAD forum! I am no
> expert in the use of the application, however, so I am sure some issues
> might be discovered with use. I already know of the following two issues:
>
>  - Bundled third party packages. Among them: SMESH (from salome or a
> fork), Pivy (from coin3D), libkdtree++ (seems like there is no live source
> or maintainer), and a few others.
>
>  - License help. FreeCAD itself is under the gpl 2.1+, however I think I
> need some guidance providing the correct licenses (both for FreeCAD and the
> bundled source)
>
> Now where do I put the package definition in gnu/packages? I have several
> module definitions in my channel:
>  - salome.scm for libmedfile, smesh and the supporting infrastructure
>  - coin3d.scm for coin3d, soqt, and pivy (WIP)
>  - python-pyside.scm for Shiboken2, Pyside2, and Pyside2-tools
>  - libarea.scm for libarea
>  - libspnav.scm for libspnav and
>  - freecad.scm for FreeCAD itself
>
> I am happy to finally learn to use the app!
>
> - John

This is great!

I am not an expert on the where to place things, but if you don't find some
module that is a clear fit for your package, then you can create a new one.
With that said, I believe you can put coin into somewhere graphics related,
and the python stuff to python-xyz.

I also have some freecad projects, so I can help with testing if needed.

> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 11:23 PM Paul Garlick <
> pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>
>> > Another question: do we tend to try to use guix packages whenever a
>> package
>> > ships bundled with some third party source?
>>
>> Yes.  The preference is to use Guix packages where possible.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Paul.
>>
> Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-18 20:33                       ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-06-18 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi Gabor!

Thanks!  I’ll let you know when I submit a patch.

- John

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-18 21:03                     ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-06-18 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Soo; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi John,

> I'm excited to announce that I opened FreeCAD for the first time this
> evening thanks most recently to support on the FreeCAD forum!

Great news!

> Now where do I put the package definition in gnu/packages?

How about engineering.scm for FreeCAD?  This module already contains
other CAD-related packages such as LibreCAD and KiCad.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-19 14:12                       ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-06-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul,

> How about engineering.scm for FreeCAD?  This module already contains
> other CAD-related packages such as LibreCAD and KiCad.

Thanks. I did this and am preparing a patch now.

- John

* Re: Packaging FreeCAD
@ 2019-06-30  2:45                         ` John Soo
From: John Soo @ 2019-06-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)