unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix pull --commit and custom channel ?
@ 2019-05-14 16:44 zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-05-14 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

Dear,

When speaking about "Scientific Reproducibilty", one would roll-back
to a previous state of Guix. And it is possible with `guix pull
--commit=<hash>'.

(noting it is only possible for not too old states, say v0.15 or post-inferior?)

However, it is not possible to roll-back the state of a custom
channel. Or I have missed something.

The UI should be: guix pull --commit=channel1:hash1  --commit=channel2:hash2
or guix pull --commit=channel1:hash1,channel2:hash2

Moreover, is it possible to roll-back with a manifest containing
several custom channels ?

I imagine something such that:
 guix describe > commits.txt
then months (or years?) later:
 guix pull --manifest=commits.txt

In other words, continue ideas proposed here [1].
[1] https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/multi-dimensional-transactions-and-rollbacks-oh-my/

What do you think ?

All the best,
simon

* Re: guix pull --commit and custom channel ?
@ 2019-05-14 16:55 ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-05-14 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zimoun, Guix Devel

> Dear,
>
> When speaking about "Scientific Reproducibilty", one would roll-back
> to a previous state of Guix. And it is possible with `guix pull
> --commit=<hash>'.
>
> (noting it is only possible for not too old states, say v0.15 or post-inferior?)
>

> However, it is not possible to roll-back the state of a custom
> channel. Or I have missed something.
>
> The UI should be: guix pull --commit=channel1:hash1  --commit=channel2:hash2
> or guix pull --commit=channel1:hash1,channel2:hash2

I don't think `guix pull` exposes these options through the CLI yet, but
you can specify exact commit(s) in channels.scm.

> Moreover, is it possible to roll-back with a manifest containing
> several custom channels ?
>
> I imagine something such that:
>  guix describe > commits.txt
> then months (or years?) later:
>  guix pull --manifest=commits.txt

This is already possible:

 $ guix describe -f channels > my-channels.scm
 $ guix pull -C my-channels.scm

HTH!
Marius

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: guix pull --commit and custom channel ?
@ 2019-05-14 17:05   ` zimoun
From: zimoun @ 2019-05-14 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: Guix Devel

Hi,

Thank you.
Sorry for the noise, I missed the option in the manual.

> This is already possible:
>
>  $ guix describe -f channels > my-channels.scm
>  $ guix pull -C my-channels.scm

Well, it fits perfectly my needs. :-)

All the best,
simon