unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-01 12:20 Cecilia Ortmann
       [not found] ` <CAE4v=ph6hQ09EbKP+MUtgp7VvCTc6G5WQ7jVMCRjfVa0immPTg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Cecilia Ortmann @ 2018-10-01 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi everyone!

My name is Cecilia, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I'm applying for
an Outreachy Internship, for the period December 2018 to March 2019.

I'm interesting in making contributions to GNU Guix. I'll be glad to
receive any instructions or suggestions about where to start.

Thanks!

Cecilia

* Re: Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-01 18:12 ` Brett Gilio
       [not found] ` <CAE4v=ph6hQ09EbKP+MUtgp7VvCTc6G5WQ7jVMCRjfVa0immPTg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-01 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilia Ortmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Cecilia Ortmann writes:

> Hi everyone!
>
> My name is Cecilia, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I'm
> applying for
> an Outreachy Internship, for the period December 2018 to March
> 2019.
>
> I'm interesting in making contributions to GNU Guix. I'll be
> glad to
> receive any instructions or suggestions about where to start.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Cecilia

Hi, Cecilia. Nice to meet you. I, too, am new to the Guix project.
will pass along any useful information that I receive. I just
wanted you
to know that we received your mail!

--
Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member

* Re: Outreachy applicant
       [not found] ` <CAE4v=ph6hQ09EbKP+MUtgp7VvCTc6G5WQ7jVMCRjfVa0immPTg@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-10-01 19:47   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-01 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ce.ortmann; +Cc: Guix-devel

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1., H,
15:05):

> Cecilia Ortmann <ce.ortmann@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1.,
> H 14:32):
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> My name is Cecilia, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I'm applying
>> for an Outreachy Internship, for the period December 2018 to March 2019.
>>
>> I'm interesting in making contributions to GNU Guix. I'll be glad to
>> receive any instructions or suggestions about where to start.
>>

> Hello Cecilia,
> welcome in the GNU Guix community.
>
> We consider packaging something simple for Guix a good first contribution.
> You are welcome to look around the package list at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
> <https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/>, and package something you
> are missing.
> Also R packages seem to be easy.
>
> For instructions on defining a package see:
> https://guix.info/manual/en/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
>
> You should give a try to installing guix on a foreign distro, or
> installing GuixSD, on bare metal, or in a VM. It would be useful if you
> noted any hiccups in the process, as installation is not very streamlined
> yet.
>
> You can find further information here:
> https://guix.info/manual/en/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
> https://guix.info/manual/en/System-Installation.html#System-Installation
>
> Note that there is an install script in the etc directory of the tarball,
> that can help with a binary installation.
>
> Please keep in touch, on the mailing list, and also on IRC. Should you
> have any problems feel free to contact me, the other mentors, coordinators,
> or the list, or anyone on IRC.
>
> Thanks!
>
> g_bor

Oops, my bad, forgot to CC the list.

> Thanks!
>>
>> Cecilia

* Re: Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-10  8:31     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-10  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ce.ortmann; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Cecilia,

Could you give us a status update?
Do you need any help?

Best regards,
g_bor

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
1., H, 21:47):

> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1., H, 15:05):
>>
>> Cecilia Ortmann <ce.ortmann@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1., H 14:32):
>>>
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> My name is Cecilia, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina, and I'm applying for an Outreachy Internship, for the period December 2018 to March 2019.
>>>
>>> I'm interesting in making contributions to GNU Guix. I'll be glad to receive any instructions or suggestions about where to start.
>>>

>> Hello Cecilia,
>> welcome in the GNU Guix community.
>>
>> We consider packaging something simple for Guix a good first contribution.
>> You are welcome to look around the package list at https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ , and package something you are missing.
>> Also R packages seem to be easy.
>>
>> For instructions on defining a package see: https://guix.info/manual/en/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
>>
>> You should give a try to installing guix on a foreign distro, or installing GuixSD, on bare metal, or in a VM. It would be useful if you noted any hiccups in the process, as installation is not very streamlined yet.
>>
>> You can find further information here:
>> https://guix.info/manual/en/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
>> https://guix.info/manual/en/System-Installation.html#System-Installation
>>
>> Note that there is an install script in the etc directory of the tarball, that can help with a binary installation.
>>
>> Please keep in touch, on the mailing list, and also on IRC. Should you have any problems feel free to contact me, the other mentors, coordinators, or the list, or anyone on IRC.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> g_bor
>>

> Oops, my bad, forgot to CC the list.
>

>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Cecilia

* Re: Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-11 15:19       ` Cecilia Ortmann
From: Cecilia Ortmann @ 2018-10-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boskovits; +Cc: guix-devel

El mié., 10 oct. 2018 a las 5:31, Gábor Boskovits (<boskovits@gmail.com>)
escribió:

> Hello Cecilia,
>
> Could you give us a status update?
> Do you need any help?
>
> Hello g_bor,

I've been trying to install GuixSD in a VM but neither my computer nor the
ones in the university meet the hardware requirements to run qemu. Today I
will make one last attempt, and if I don't succeed, I will go directly to
bare metal installation.

I'll let you know as soon as possible.

> Best regards,
> g_bor
>
> Best regards,
Cecilia

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> 1., H, 21:47):
> >

> > Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt. 1.,
> H, 15:05):
> >>
> >> Cecilia Ortmann <ce.ortmann@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. okt.
> 1., H 14:32):

> for an Outreachy Internship, for the period December 2018 to March 2019.

> receive any instructions or suggestions about where to start.
> >>>

> >> Hello Cecilia,
> >> welcome in the GNU Guix community.
> >>
> >> We consider packaging something simple for Guix a good first
> contribution.
> >> You are welcome to look around the package list at
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/ , and package something you
> are missing.
> >> Also R packages seem to be easy.
> >>
> >> For instructions on defining a package see:
> https://guix.info/manual/en/Defining-Packages.html#Defining-Packages
> >>
> >> You should give a try to installing guix on a foreign distro, or
> installing GuixSD, on bare metal, or in a VM. It would be useful if you
> noted any hiccups in the process, as installation is not very streamlined
> yet.
> >>
> >> You can find further information here:
> >>
> https://guix.info/manual/en/Binary-Installation.html#Binary-Installation
> >>
> https://guix.info/manual/en/System-Installation.html#System-Installation
> >>
> >> Note that there is an install script in the etc directory of the
> tarball, that can help with a binary installation.
> >>
> >> Please keep in touch, on the mailing list, and also on IRC. Should you
> have any problems feel free to contact me, the other mentors, coordinators,
> or the list, or anyone on IRC.
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >>
> >> g_bor
> >>

> > Oops, my bad, forgot to CC the list.

* Re: Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-11 18:37         ` Björn Höfling
From: Björn Höfling @ 2018-10-11 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cecilia Ortmann; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Cecilia,

On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 12:19:08 -0300
Cecilia Ortmann <ce.ortmann@gmail.com> wrote:

> El mié., 10 oct. 2018 a las 5:31, Gábor Boskovits
> (<boskovits@gmail.com>) escribió:
>
> > Hello Cecilia,
> >
> > Could you give us a status update?
> > Do you need any help?
> >
> > Hello g_bor,
>
> I've been trying to install GuixSD in a VM but neither my computer
> nor the ones in the university meet the hardware requirements to run
> qemu. Today I will make one last attempt, and if I don't succeed, I
> will go directly to bare metal installation.

If you have a machine with an already installed Linux, you can also
just install Guix (the package manager) and make a contribution from
there.

Björn

* Re: Outreachy applicant
@ 2018-10-12  6:18           ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-10-12  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Björn Höfling; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Cecilia,

Björn Höfling <bjoern.hoefling@bjoernhoefling.de> ezt írta (időpont:
2018. okt. 11., Cs, 20:38):

> Hi Cecilia,
>
> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 12:19:08 -0300
> Cecilia Ortmann <ce.ortmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > El mié., 10 oct. 2018 a las 5:31, Gábor Boskovits
> > (<boskovits@gmail.com>) escribió:
> >
> > > Hello Cecilia,
> > >
> > > Could you give us a status update?
> > > Do you need any help?
> > >
> > > Hello g_bor,
> >
> > I've been trying to install GuixSD in a VM but neither my computer
> > nor the ones in the university meet the hardware requirements to run
> > qemu. Today I will make one last attempt, and if I don't succeed, I
> > will go directly to bare metal installation.
>

> If you have a machine with an already installed Linux, you can also
> just install Guix (the package manager) and make a contribution from
> there.

Björn is right here, you can contibute form guix installed on a foreign distro.

> Björn

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Outreachy applicant