unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-01-16 15:35 Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-01-16 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi all,

We're planning to put up a blog post about Guix (and Guix-related) talks
at FOSDEM [0]. I've collected all the talks that that are about Guix (or
connected areas). If I've missed any Guix related talks please tell me
so I can add them to the blog post:

- Declarative and Minimalist Computing track

This track [1] has:

- RISC‐V Bootstrapping in Guix and Live‐Bootstrap
     - Ekiatz Zárraga
     - Sunday: 11:20 - 11:40
     -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-1755-risc-v-bootstrapping-in-guix-and-live-bootstrap/

- Self-hosting and autonomy using guix-forge
     - Arun IsaaC
     - Sunday: 11:40 - 12:00
     -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2560-self-hosting-and-autonomy-using-guix-forge/

- Spritely, Guile, Guix: a unified vision for user security
     - Christine Lemmer-Webber
     - Sunday: 12:00 - 12:25
     -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2331-spritely-guile-guix-a-unified-vision-for-user-security/

Other tracks
-------------

- Making reproducible and publishable large-scale HPC experiments
     - Philippe SWARTVAGHER
     - Saturday: 10:30 - 11:00
     -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2651-making-reproducible-and-publishable-large-scale-hpc-experiments
    /

- Supporting architecture psABIs with GNU Guix.
     - Efraim Flashner
     - Sunday: 14:30 - 14:55
      -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2927-supporting-architecture-psabis-with-gnu-guix/

Connected 'Guile/Scheme' interest
----------------------------------

- Scheme in the Browser with Guile Hoot and WebAssembly
     - Robin Templeton
     - Sunday: 11:00-11:20
     -
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/event/fosdem-2024-2339-scheme-in-the-browser-with-guile-hoot-and-webassembly/

Thanks,

Steve

[0] Ludo's post from last year:
https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2023/meet-guix-at-fosdem-2023/
[1]
https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/declarative-and-minimalistic-computing/

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-01-17 15:47 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-01-17 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Hi,

On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 15:35, Steve George <steve@futurile.net> wrote:

> We're planning to put up a blog post about Guix (and Guix-related) talks
> at FOSDEM [0]. I've collected all the talks that that are about Guix (or
> connected areas). If I've missed any Guix related talks please tell me
> so I can add them to the blog post:

Thanks for taking care about that.

It could be nice to publish this bog soon.  Is it doable?

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-01-17 21:16   ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-01-17 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Simon Tournier, help-guix, guix-devel

On 17/01/2024 15:47, Simon Tournier wrote:
(..)
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 15:35, Steve George <steve@futurile.net> wrote:
>
>> We're planning to put up a blog post about Guix (and Guix-related) talks
>> at FOSDEM [0]. I've collected all the talks that that are about Guix (or
>> connected areas). If I've missed any Guix related talks please tell me
>> so I can add them to the blog post:
>
> Thanks for taking care about that.
>
> It could be nice to publish this bog soon.  Is it doable?
(...)

Hi - initial draft of the post went to Ludo today for review (and commit
as I don't have the rights). We'll see what his reaction is to my
British English and random punctuation! ;-)

Thanks,

Steve

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-01-18 10:51     ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-01-18 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George, help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Steve,

On mer., 17 janv. 2024 at 21:16, Steve George <steve@futurile.net> wrote:

> Hi - initial draft of the post went to Ludo today for review (and commit
> as I don't have the rights). We'll see what his reaction is to my
> British English and random punctuation! ;-)

Cool!  Thank you.

For the next time, in order to avoid to put too much on Ludo’s plate, we
have a dedicated email guix-blog@gnu.org.  The emails there are private
and 2-3 people are behind the list.

For example, the recent post [1] had been sent there then a round of
“review“ (mainly typo and links), and published. :-)

1: https://guix.gnu.org/en/blog/2024/building-packages-targeting-psabis/

Cheers,
simon

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-06  7:39 ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-02-06  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Steve,

It would also be nice to write a BLOG about what was discussed at Guix
days and FOSDEM. That way we get a historical record. If you take the
lead we can collect the notes that were made and write a concise
overview of each discussion. I am sure people are happy to help. That
an idea?

Pj.

@ 2024-02-06  8:19   ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2024-02-06  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel, Steve George

Hi Pjotr,

Quoting Pjotr Prins (2024-02-06 08:39:25)
> It would also be nice to write a BLOG about what was discussed at Guix
> days

I have notes about what sessions took place during the Guix days.
I was planning to send (tomorrow?) a patch for the Guix Foundation website
to make it available, like "GNU Guix Days FOSDEM 2023" [1].

[1]: https://foundation.guix.info/events/index.html

I don’t know if it’s the right place to put notes about the content,
though? 🤔

--
Tanguy

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-06  8:48     ` Pjotr Prins
From: Pjotr Prins @ 2024-02-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR; +Cc: Pjotr Prins, help-guix, guix-devel, Steve George

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:19:15AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> Hi Pjotr,
>

> Quoting Pjotr Prins (2024-02-06 08:39:25)
> > It would also be nice to write a BLOG about what was discussed at Guix
> > days
>
> I have notes about what sessions took place during the Guix days.
> I was planning to send (tomorrow?) a patch for the Guix Foundation website
> to make it available, like "GNU Guix Days FOSDEM 2023" [1].
>
> [1]: https://foundation.guix.info/events/index.html
>
> I don’t know if it’s the right place to put notes about the content,
> though?

That is great. We can link out to notes hosted elsewhere.

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-06  9:35       ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2024-02-06  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: Pjotr Prins, help-guix, guix-devel, Steve George

Quoting Pjotr Prins (2024-02-06 09:48:42)
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 09:19:15AM +0100, Tanguy LE CARROUR wrote:
> > I have notes about what sessions took place during the Guix days.
> […]
> That is great. We can link out to notes hosted elsewhere.

**SPOILER ALERT** … WIP!

```markdown
# Guix Days 2024

ICAB, february 1st and 2nd

## Day 1

33 persons present on the event’s opening, including newbies and Nix people.

Main track:

- [Introduction to Goblins by Christine from Spritely institute](day1/introduction_to_goblins.md)
- [Status of Guix by Efraim](day1/status_of_guix.md)
- Guix QA update by Chris

Sessions:

- Gobelin (Christine)
- Infrastructure (Alexis)
- Documentation (Julien)
- [Guix Home](day1/guix_home.md) (Gabor)
- Alt. Arch. (Efraim)
- [Bootstrapping](day1/bootstrapping.md) (Janneke)
- Release (Julien)

## Day 2

Sessions:

- Funding (Christine)
- Governance/Maintainers (Efraim + Chris)
- Patch flow (Steeve)
- CLI (Jonathan)
- Profiling (Adriel)
- Hurd (Janneke)
- L10N (Julien)
- Hoot (Christine)
- Newbie room (Gabor)
- Onboarding (Gabor)

## Ideas that didn’t make it to sessions

- Shepherd
- HPC
```

--
Tanguy

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-06 10:15   ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-02-06 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi,

Sounds good.

A blog post for the main Guix web site, with links to the detailed notes
that were collected.

Ludo told me the raw notes are being collected here:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/guix-days-2024

Thanks,

Steve

@ 2024-02-06 10:17     ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-02-06 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanguy LE CARROUR, Pjotr Prins; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Tanguy,

(...)

Ludo said they put them into this repo:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/guix-days-2024

Do you have access to this? (I do not).

We can ask people on the channel / this list to put their notes - or
integrate their notes into the existing ones there (as it's a shared
endeavour).

Does that work?

Steve

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-06 10:40       ` Tanguy LE CARROUR
From: Tanguy LE CARROUR @ 2024-02-06 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pjotr Prins, Steve George; +Cc: help-guix, guix-devel

Hi Steve,

Quoting Steve George (2024-02-06 11:17:42)
> Ludo said they put them into this repo:
>
> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/maintenance.git/tree/doc/guix-days-2024
>
> Do you have access to this? (I do not).

No. I mean, I can read it, but that’s it.

> We can ask people on the channel / this list to put their notes - or
> integrate their notes into the existing ones there (as it's a shared
> endeavour).
>
> Does that work?

+1!

Mine will require a lot of "integration", though! 😅

--
Tanguy

* Re: Collecting Guix talks at FOSDEM
@ 2024-02-07 12:56   ` Steve George
From: Steve George @ 2024-02-07 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-guix, guix-devel; +Cc: Pjotr Prins

Hi,

Did anyone take a photo of the discussion whiteboard?

And/or anyone get a photo of the room generally that could be used in
the blog post? Be nice to have a visual ...

Steve
ps I will check with each person in any photo that they don't object to
it being posted

@ 2024-02-07 13:44     ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2024-02-07 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve George; +Cc: guix-devel, Pjotr Prins, help-guix