unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Anyone interested in getting involved with the Guix Data Service?
@ 2019-09-30  6:54 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2019-09-30  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

In summary, if you're interested in getting involved in the development
of the Guix Data Service, or interested in using the data, please let me
know!

This is a small update following on from [1].

1: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-09/msg00104.html

The Guix Data Service stores data about GNU Guix, and provides this
through a web interface. It's written in Guile, and uses a PostgreSQL
database.

I've been looking at documenting the local development process to allow
for an Outreachy project to improve internationalisation support [2]. If
anyone is interested in testing the documentation here [3] that would be
great, please just email me with any issues you come across!

2: https://www.outreachy.org/apply/project-selection/#gnu-guix-improve-internationalization-support-for-the-guix-
3: http://data.guix.gnu.org/README

Since my last email to the list:

 - The patches for the Guix package and service definition have been
   merged in to master

 - I've improved the deployment to milano-guix-1 so the service is now
   running at http://data.guix.gnu.org/

 - There are dumps of the database available at
   http://data.guix.gnu.org/dumps/ to aid with local development

 - The repository now sits on Savannah at
   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git/

 - There's a list of ideas I have for the Guix Data Service in the
   README: http://data.guix.gnu.org/README

I've also begun working on showing the history of packages [4], and this
should be available once I do the next deployment.

4: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git/commit/?id=59c342ffde542a62f3911ee9122cde648eee2133

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Anyone interested in getting involved with the Guix Data Service?
@ 2019-10-06  9:18 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-10-06  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Chris!

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> skribis:

> In summary, if you're interested in getting involved in the development
> of the Guix Data Service, or interested in using the data, please let me
> know!

[...]

>  - There's a list of ideas I have for the Guix Data Service in the
>    README: http://data.guix.gnu.org/README

I suspect that applications of the Guix Data Service are what will
motivate people to dive in.  That includes all the examples you give
under “Roadmap” in the ‘README’ file, things like traversing the package
version history, etc.

We should also link to useful info coming from the Data Service from
/packages and other places on the web site, so we call all get used to
the coolness of the thing!

> I've also begun working on showing the history of packages [4], and this
> should be available once I do the next deployment.
>
> 4: http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix/data-service.git/commit/?id=59c342ffde542a62f3911ee9122cde648eee2133

Oooh, really cool.  :-)

Thank you,
Ludo’.

* Re: Anyone interested in getting involved with the Guix Data Service?
@ 2019-10-06  9:54 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-10-06  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Also, I think the Guix Data Service deserves a blog post explaining what
it does, how, and what it can be used for!  :-)

Ludo’.