unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool
@ 2023-12-26  0:27 Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2023-12-26  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi Guix!

It might be addressed to rust/python teams.
https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic-core

During update of some packages from (gnu packages astronomy) I've faced
with requirement for the fresh version of pydantic which depends on
pydantic-core built with rust and maturin.

This thread is just conversation opener for the potential strategy to deal
with similar cases where python projects start using rust with rare but new
build tool.

Thanks,
Oleg

* Re: Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool
@ 2023-12-28 11:56 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2023-12-28 11:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 12:27:38AM +0000, Sharlatan Hellseher wrote:
> Hi Guix!
>

> It might be addressed to rust/python teams.
> https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic-core
>
> During update of some packages from (gnu packages astronomy) I've faced
> with requirement for the fresh version of pydantic which depends on
> pydantic-core built with rust and maturin.
>
> This thread is just conversation opener for the potential strategy to deal
> with similar cases where python projects start using rust with rare but new
> build tool.

We have maturin packaged at 1.1.0 and I believe it is even used to build
a couple of packages.  python-rpds-py, which just landed in the repo
today, is probably the best short example of how to use a combination of
cargo and any other build system to build a project that doesn't really
need any phases overridden, just added/replaced.

Is there a specific version of pydantic that you need? I might be able
to put together something either using the crates in the master branch
or a newer version on the rust-team branch.

--
Efraim Flashner   <efraim@flashner.co.il>   רנשלפ םירפא

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool
@ 2023-12-28 19:20   ` Sharlatan Hellseher
From: Sharlatan Hellseher @ 2023-12-28 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Efraim Flashner

Hi Efraim,

I was about to update python-hvpy to v1.1.0 which requires

    pydantic>=2.0.0

https://github.com/Helioviewer-Project/python-api/blob/v1.1.0/setup.cfg#L37

Pydantic 2+ (the latest is v2.5.3 2023-12-22) depends on pydantic-core (the
latest is v2.14.6 2023-12-21) which is built with Rust flavor.

    pydantic-core==2.0.1

https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic/blob/v2.0/pyproject.toml#L64

Pydantic core is built with maturin 1, <2:

https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic-core/blob/v2.0.1/pyproject.toml

Currently I've prepared updates for anything which requires minimum overhead and
does not break built of dependent packages.

https://issues.guix.gnu.org/67915

Thanks,
Oleg

--

… наш разум - превосходная объяснительная машина которая способна
найти смысл почти в чем угодно, истолковать любой феномен, но

* Re: Question on python-pydantic update, rust and maturin build tool
@ 2023-12-28 20:46 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-12-28 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharlatan Hellseher; +Cc: guix-devel

Sharlatan Hellseher <sharlatanus@gmail.com> writes:

> It might be addressed to rust/python teams.
> https://github.com/pydantic/pydantic-core
>
> During update of some packages from (gnu packages astronomy) I've faced with requirement for the fresh version of pydantic which
> depends on pydantic-core built with rust and maturin.

In python-blake3 I avoided the use of maturin with a little bit of
manual work.

--
Ricardo