unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* poetry not building
@ 2023-06-22  7:06 ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-06-22  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: 63139

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 398 bytes --]

Hi

Poetry is not building on ci.guix.gnu.org [1]. There is a pending patch
[2] on the issue tracker. What is missing to apply this patch and how
can I help?

Cheers,
Reza

[1] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=poetry
[2] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139

--
Reza Housseini

This message is signed with my GnuPG key:

     C0F3 0812 9AF2 80F4 0830 C2C1 C375 C6AF 0512 5C52

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* [bug#63139] poetry not building
@ 2023-06-22  7:06   ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-06-22  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: 63139

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 398 bytes --]

Hi

Poetry is not building on ci.guix.gnu.org [1]. There is a pending patch
[2] on the issue tracker. What is missing to apply this patch and how
can I help?

Cheers,
Reza

[1] https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=poetry
[2] https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139

--
Reza Housseini

This message is signed with my GnuPG key:

     C0F3 0812 9AF2 80F4 0830 C2C1 C375 C6AF 0512 5C52

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: poetry not building
@ 2023-06-22 20:28   ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2023-06-22 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: guix-devel

[dropped the bug from cc]

Hi Reza,

On Thu, Jun 22, 2023 at 12:07 AM Reza Housseini
<reza.housseini@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is missing to apply this patch and how
> can I help?

I really hope someone responds to you, but in the meantime you could
set up your own copy of Guix. It's an elegant way to stop begging,
which I stopped doing because I find it demeaning.

More importantly, setting up your own Guix would allow you to test the
proposed patch set, which is quite large. After some time, you can
report your experience to the bug. That might provide a measure of
comfort to anyone who would like to help you but is deterred by the
fear of making a mistake. Reviewers have lives.

As a result, the adoption of the patch set becomes more likely.

An additional benefit is that you could pin your own branch to a
commit on master that works for you. For example, you could branch off
of my "prebuilt" branch. [1] It follows "master," but with a delay in
hope of maximizing substitute availability. I also try to sidestep
temporary or unresolved quirks like this one [2] which can make it
impossible to reconfigure your system or your home.

It may be a rational choice depending on your set of personal constraints.

All you have to do is fork my Guix mirror on Codeberg and checkout the
"prebuilt" branch. Please create a copy called "reza-experimental" and
apply the patch series above. Then push the branch to Codeberg.

Next, you would add your custom channel to your personal setup. Here
is how I do that with Guix Home. [3] Then do a 'guix pull
--disable-authentication --allow-downgrades' (potentially followed by
a 'rehash guix') and voilà, you are running your own copy of Guix!

Happy hacking & power to the people!
Felix

[1] https://codeberg.org/lechner/guix/src/branch/prebuilt
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-06/msg00082.html
[3] https://codeberg.org/lechner/home-config/src/commit/058743431a5cd02156fd567afdf1d2fdb54f194d/service/channels.scm

* Re: poetry not building
@ 2023-06-22 20:52     ` Reza Housseini
From: Reza Housseini @ 2023-06-22 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Felix Lechner; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1684 bytes --]

Hi Felix

Thanks for your reply.
> I really hope someone responds to you, but in the meantime you could
> set up your own copy of Guix. It's an elegant way to stop begging,
> which I stopped doing because I find it demeaning.

I was not begging only posing a simple question. This is a
misunderstanding on your side.

> More importantly, setting up your own Guix would allow you to test the
> proposed patch set, which is quite large. After some time, you can
> report your experience to the bug. That might provide a measure of
> comfort to anyone who would like to help you but is deterred by the
> fear of making a mistake. Reviewers have lives.

I already tested parts of the patch set, I was never at any point
demanding the reviewers to work on this patch asap.

> As a result, the adoption of the patch set becomes more likely.
>
> An additional benefit is that you could pin your own branch to a
> commit on master that works for you. For example, you could branch off
> of my "prebuilt" branch. [1] It follows "master," but with a delay in
> hope of maximizing substitute availability. I also try to sidestep
> temporary or unresolved quirks like this one [2] which can make it
> impossible to reconfigure your system or your home.
>
> It may be a rational choice depending on your set of personal constraints.

I'm playing with the idea of doing that for a while now, but I fear this
adds another layer of complexity I'm not prepared to handle right now.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Cheers,
Reza

--

@ 2023-06-23  6:49   ` Lars-Dominik Braun
From: Lars-Dominik Braun @ 2023-06-23  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini; +Cc: guix-devel, John Kehayias

Hi Reza,

> Poetry is not building on ci.guix.gnu.org [1]. There is a pending patch
> [2] on the issue tracker. What is missing to apply this patch and how
> can I help?

both contributors to that issue – John and me – are busy with other
things right now. That’s all.

My proposal in the python-team branch is rather intrusive and requires
a world rebuild. I wrote down what needs to be done here:
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139#23
Some of that work has been merged into the python-team branch already,
but I think the 3rd point is missing entirely and the 2nd one is not
properly tested yet.

Cheers,
Lars

* Re: poetry not building
@ 2023-07-31 16:02     ` John Kehayias
From: John Kehayias @ 2023-07-31 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Reza Housseini, guix-devel; +Cc: Lars-Dominik Braun

Hi all,

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 08:49 AM, Lars-Dominik Braun wrote:

> Hi Reza,
>
>> Poetry is not building on ci.guix.gnu.org [1]. There is a pending patch
>> [2] on the issue tracker. What is missing to apply this patch and how
>> can I help?
>
> both contributors to that issue – John and me – are busy with other
> things right now. That’s all.
>
> My proposal in the python-team branch is rather intrusive and requires
> a world rebuild. I wrote down what needs to be done here:
> <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/63139#23>
> Some of that work has been merged into the python-team branch already,
> but I think the 3rd point is missing entirely and the 2nd one is not
> properly tested yet.
>
> Cheers,
> Lars

Yes, it is a rather intrusive change of our python world, requiring
rebuilding of everything that uses python. As noted above, you can use
something like time-machine for older guix with working poetry or use
a local copy with those patches for a newer one. Either will likely
require some local rebuilding.

Anyway, yes, I was distracted with other matters but have just
finished merging mesa-updates which took a bit longer than expected.
I'm not expert on these more internal python and python packaging
matters, so help is welcome. I will work on reviving this next though.

John