unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Manual in epub format
@ 2018-06-13  3:38 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-06-13  3:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi
I use an ebook reader for reading long detailed documents and books.
I would like a copy of the guix Manual on my reader.
I searched a little and there seem to be no ready tool to convert info2epub.

I found this:

latexml --dest=$1.xml $1.tex
latexmlpost -dest=$1.html $1.xml
ebook-convert $1.html $1.epub --language en --no-default-epub-cover

It makes use of latexml and ebook-converter (the command line tool that comes with calibre)
Source: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1551/use-latex-to-produce-epub

Any thoughts?
--
Cheers Swedebugia

* Re: Guix Manual in epub format
@ 2018-06-13  4:22 ` Nils Gillmann
From: Nils Gillmann @ 2018-06-13  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

swedebugia transcribed 1.6K bytes:
> Hi
> I use an ebook reader for reading long detailed documents and books.
> I would like a copy of the guix Manual on my reader.
> I searched a little and there seem to be no ready tool to convert info2epub.
>
> I found this:
>
> latexml --dest=$1.xml $1.tex
> latexmlpost -dest=$1.html $1.xml
> ebook-convert $1.html $1.epub --language en --no-default-epub-cover
>
> It makes use of latexml and ebook-converter (the command line tool that comes with calibre)
> Source: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1551/use-latex-to-produce-epub
>
> Any thoughts?
> --
> Cheers Swedebugia

Yes,

Texinfo is not LaTeX. Unless there's a Texinfo to LaTeX tool which doesn't
suck, this will be impossible. This was one of the results I found:
https://github.com/jlhg/texinfo2epub first result page on search engine.
Does not look like nothing to me?

* Re: Guix Manual in epub format
@ 2018-06-13  7:21 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2018-06-13  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia, Guix-devel

Am 13.06.2018 um 05:38 schrieb swedebugia:
> Hi
> I use an ebook reader for reading long detailed documents and books.
> I would like a copy of the guix Manual on my reader.
> I searched a little and there seem to be no ready tool to convert
> info2epub.
>
> I found this:
>
> latexml --dest=$1.xml $1.tex
> latexmlpost -dest=$1.html $1.xml
> ebook-convert $1.html $1.epub --language en --no-default-epub-cover

This looks quite complicated. With a short internet search i found:

https://github.com/jlhg/texinfo2epub which basically does this:

    makeinfo --docbook $INPUT_FILE_PATH -o out.xml
    xsltproc $EPUB_XSL out.xml

The stylesheet seams to be part of docbook-xsl already.
https://github.com/ikrukov/epub does not provide a script, but describes
the same approach.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Guix Manual in epub format
@ 2018-06-13  8:06 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2018-06-13  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi swedebugia,

> I use an ebook reader for reading long detailed documents and books.
> I would like a copy of the guix Manual on my reader.
> I searched a little and there seem to be no ready tool to convert info2epub.
>
> I found this:
>
> latexml --dest=$1.xml $1.tex
> latexmlpost -dest=$1.html $1.xml
> ebook-convert $1.html $1.epub --language en --no-default-epub-cover
>
> It makes use of latexml and ebook-converter (the command line tool that comes with calibre)
> Source: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/1551/use-latex-to-produce-epub
>
> Any thoughts?

We can generate HTML directly as we do for the online copy of the
manual.  From there it’s just a small step to epub.

--
Ricardo