unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Jami: Updating opendht needed
@ 2020-07-08 14:43 Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-08 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I need someone to push this commit:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-07/msg00226.html

From this version, my toaster can't build opendht anymore and I'm stuck
on Fedora on my newer now, where I have no Guix available.
Can someone check if it compiles and push, so I can get
back to working on Jami? The latest Jami version requires opendht 2.1.4.

Jan Wielkiewicz

* Re: Jami: Updating opendht needed
@ 2020-07-08 18:44 ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2020-07-08 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Wielkiewicz; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done

Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> I need someone to push this commit:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-07/msg00226.html
>
> From this version, my toaster can't build opendht anymore and I'm stuck
> on Fedora on my newer now, where I have no Guix available.
> Can someone check if it compiles and push, so I can get
> back to working on Jami? The latest Jami version requires opendht
> 2.1.4.

Looks fine to me, I've made some minor tweaks to the commit message, and
pushed as 143188423a727426efdc6289fc87a5e492bcf09d.

Thanks,

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Updating opendht needed
@ 2020-07-09  0:21   ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-09  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done

Hello,

Seems opendht is fine, but Jami just fails during compilation.
Reported the issue here:
https://git.jami.net/savoirfairelinux/ring-daemon/issues/261
It seems they build their package with meson now, but libring requires
meson 0.54 or higher. Tried upgrading it quickly and dirty but glib or
glibc failed to compile.

I can't do anything until developers fix this or someone bumps
meson, sorry.

@ 2020-07-09 22:13     ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-09 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done

Hello,

Jami devs helped me - it turns out opendht 2.1.4 contains a bug, which
was fixed on master. I can either wait for the next version where it
works or add the commit fixing the bug as a patch. Opendht in Jami was
bumped though, I can't downgrade in my wip.

What do you think?

@ 2020-07-11 12:49       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-07-11 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Wielkiewicz, Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done

Jan Wielkiewicz <tona_kosmicznego_smiecia@interia.pl> writes:

> Jami devs helped me - it turns out opendht 2.1.4 contains a bug, which
> was fixed on master. I can either wait for the next version where it
> works or add the commit fixing the bug as a patch. Opendht in Jami was
> bumped though, I can't downgrade in my wip.

In this case the common procedure is to add a (non-public) opendht-jami
package at the right commit.

This package can then safely be deleted when the next version of opendht
comes out.

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Jami: Updating opendht needed
@ 2020-07-11 13:20         ` Jan Wielkiewicz
From: Jan Wielkiewicz @ 2020-07-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done

Hello,

Dnia 2020-07-11, o godz. 14:49:58
Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> napisał(a):

> In this case the common procedure is to add a (non-public)
> opendht-jami package at the right commit.
>
> This package can then safely be deleted when the next version of
> opendht comes out.
>
> Cheers!

I made a patch already.
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-patches/2020-07/msg00283.html
It seems opendht is just buggy there, as using one of its features
causes compilation error, so I think it is okay to patch the bug.
What's the point of keeping unusable software in the repo anyway?
Devs from Savoir-faire linux use opendht features in Jami right from
master, because they develop both. But I can't do that.

@ 2020-07-11 13:24           ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-07-11 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Wielkiewicz; +Cc: guix-devel, 42266-done