unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* The plan for 0.7
@ 2014-05-16 17:11 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-05-16 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello, Guix!

Did you know that April marked the 2nd anniversary of the first Guix
commit?  Time flies!

I’d like to release 0.7 by the end of June.  The main focus for me has
been to prepare a usable bootable system, and 0.7 will provide a
bootable USB disk image.

We’re close to having a usable system, for those of us who have small
requirements and can cope with eating their own dog food.  ;-)
There are several ways you can help:

  • Run ‘guix system vm build-aux/hydra/demo-os.scm’, try it, fiddle
    with the ‘operating-system’ declaration, report any issues, see
    what’s missing for you, ask questions, discuss the implementation, etc.

  • Add definitions for services you’d like to see and are currently
    missing (info "(guix) Defining Services").

  • Add packages that are important to you.

  • Improve the ‘linux-libre’ package so it builds more modules and such.

  • Provide nice gnu pictures that can be used as the GRUB background,
    the X login screen, and things like that.  :-)

For 0.7 there will also be a bunch of updates (the ‘core-updates’
branch.)  If time permits, I’d like to prepare (guix packages) so we can
starting using g-expressions in the ‘arguments’ field of packages and
remove the labels in the ‘inputs’ fields.

Thoughts, comments?

Happy hacking!

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: The plan for 0.7
@ 2014-07-03 21:04 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I’d like to release 0.7 by the end of June.  The main focus for me has
> been to prepare a usable bootable system, and 0.7 will provide a
> bootable USB disk image.

We’re getting there, slowly but surely.  The main blockers now are:
coming up with a kernel config with more modules (painful), writing some
more doc, switching to the yet unreleased dmd 0.2, and merging the
bug-17853 branch.

Of course we need more testing of the installation image too, and this
is where you come in (yes, you!).

Ludo’.

* Re: The plan for 0.7
@ 2014-07-13 22:58   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-13 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

The main blocker left is a section on how to install the system from the
USB stick image.

I’ll do that and some more testing.  If everything goes well, we could
release on Thursday.  Otherwise that’ll be after the Cauldron.

Ludo’.

* Re: The plan for 0.7
@ 2014-07-17 15:18     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-17 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I’ll do that and some more testing.  If everything goes well, we could
> release on Thursday.  Otherwise that’ll be after the Cauldron.

So we’re now targeting Wednesday 23rd.  There are bugs to fix by then...

Ludo’.

* Re: The plan for 0.7
@ 2014-07-23 20:41       ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-23 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

We’ve had a lot of bugs to work on, thanks to all the testers.  :-)
Now that <http://bugs.gnu.org/18061> is behind us, I’d like to release
by the end of the week, provided testing doesn’t reveal any showstopper.

(The reason I insist is that it’s been a long time since 0.6, that I’ll
be mostly away from keyboard from Monday till the GHM.)

Ludo’.