unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-13 13:44 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

Since yesterday evening (CET), hydra.gnu.org is down.  The FSF sysadmins
are working on it and will keep us updated.

Note that mirror.hydra.gnu.org is available and has substitutes for the
vast majority of the packages in ‘master’.  Use
“--substitute-urls=https://mirror.hydra.gnu.org” to ignore hydra.gnu.org
altogether.

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-13 22:10 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> Since yesterday evening (CET), hydra.gnu.org is down.  The FSF sysadmins
> are working on it and will keep us updated.

The bad news is that there was a hard disk failure so the FSF staff will
need to restore a backup of the machine, which will take some time.  :-/

In the meantime, if you have a machine with recent binaries and would
like to share them, run ‘guix publish’ and post in a signed message the
machine’s public key (usually /etc/guix/signing-key.pub).
Decentralization is the key!

Ludo’.

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-14  4:58   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2016-07-14  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Hi!
>
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Since yesterday evening (CET), hydra.gnu.org is down.  The FSF sysadmins
>> are working on it and will keep us updated.
>
> The bad news is that there was a hard disk failure so the FSF staff will
> need to restore a backup of the machine, which will take some time.  :-/
>
> In the meantime, if you have a machine with recent binaries and would
> like to share them, run ‘guix publish’ and post in a signed message the
> machine’s public key (usually /etc/guix/signing-key.pub).
> Decentralization is the key!

FWIW, my mirror might have some binaries cached, but it certainly won't
have all of them:

https://hydra-mirror.marusich.info

Hope it helps,
--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-14 15:27     ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-07-14 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:58:35PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
> > In the meantime, if you have a machine with recent binaries and would
> > like to share them, run ‘guix publish’ and post in a signed message the
> > machine’s public key (usually /etc/guix/signing-key.pub).
> > Decentralization is the key!
>
> FWIW, my mirror might have some binaries cached, but it certainly won't
> have all of them:
>
> https://hydra-mirror.marusich.info

Thanks!

Where can we get a copy of your PGP public key?

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-15  1:45       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2016-07-15  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 09:58:35PM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
>> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>> > In the meantime, if you have a machine with recent binaries and would
>> > like to share them, run ‘guix publish’ and post in a signed message the
>> > machine’s public key (usually /etc/guix/signing-key.pub).
>> > Decentralization is the key!
>>
>> FWIW, my mirror might have some binaries cached, but it certainly won't
>> have all of them:
>>
>> https://hydra-mirror.marusich.info
>
> Thanks!
>
> Where can we get a copy of your PGP public key?

The key is the usual Hydra's key, since my mirror is a caching proxy
which uses the usual Hydra as its origin.

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-16 13:08   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-16 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:
>
>> Since yesterday evening (CET), hydra.gnu.org is down.  The FSF sysadmins
>> are working on it and will keep us updated.
>
> The bad news is that there was a hard disk failure so the FSF staff will
> need to restore a backup of the machine, which will take some time.  :-/

The FSF folks restored a backup of the machine but the store is empty
(it was purposefully not backed up.)  We’ve started to populate it, and
we should be able restart Hydra, hopefully later today.  I’ve restarted
nginx already, and its cache is not empty, so that might help a little
already.

We’ll have to rebuild a large subset of master and core-updates (a
“large subset” because the build machines still have some of the
binaries, which will just need to be transferred back to hydra.gnu.org
via the offload mechanism.)

The SourceForge issue may make things more difficult because downloads
are normally not offloaded so hydra.gnu.org will just stop if it fails
to download the source of some package.

Ludo’.

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-17 13:18     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2016-07-17 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello!

An update: hydra.gnu.org has started building again current master and
core-updates branches.

However, its web server (the ‘hydra-server’ program of Hydra) is
currently very unstable.  We are investigating, but in the meantime,
binaries cannot be reliably downloaded from hydra.gnu.org.

Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: hydra.gnu.org down
@ 2016-07-18 12:13       ` Ludovic Courtès