unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client
@ 2015-04-29 18:59 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-04-29 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: guile-user

Hello!

I am pleased to announce that Rohan Prinja has been selected to work on
the DHCP client project described at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2015.html#guix_dhcp> and
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00284.html> as
part of Google’s Summer of Code, with me as the mentor.

The eventual goal is to have the DHCP client tightly integrated with
GNU dmd (used in the GuixSD distribution), but the project is certainly
relevant to Schemers in general.

So please welcome Rohan in Guix and Guile circles.  :-)

To begin with, I think we’ll host the code in its own repo on Savannah,
presumably guix/dhcp.git.

Rohan, anything to add?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client
@ 2015-04-29 19:42 ` Rohan Prinja
From: Rohan Prinja @ 2015-04-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Hi everyone!

On 30 April 2015 at 00:29, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am pleased to announce that Rohan Prinja has been selected to work on
> the DHCP client project described at
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2015.html#guix_dhcp> and
> <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-03/msg00284.html> as
> part of Google’s Summer of Code, with me as the mentor.

For completeness, I'm attaching the final draft of my proposal - the
one you see in the mailing list was really incomplete.

> The eventual goal is to have the DHCP client tightly integrated with
> GNU dmd (used in the GuixSD distribution), but the project is certainly
> relevant to Schemers in general.
>
> So please welcome Rohan in Guix and Guile circles.  :-)
>
> To begin with, I think we’ll host the code in its own repo on Savannah,
> presumably guix/dhcp.git.
>
> Rohan, anything to add?

Nothing for now. Thank you for the introduction :)

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Also, how do you suggest I get started with the pre-coding period? I
was thinking of rereading the ISC dhclient code, this time more
carefully, and in parallel, adding some packages to the Guix to get a
feel for how porting packages to the archive works. Once I'm done
reading dhclient, I could start on designing the CLI. Is this fine or
do you think an alternate plan of action would be better?

Thanks,
Rohan

[-- Attachment #2: proposal.pdf --]

* Re: GSoC: Rohan to work on DHCP client
@ 2015-04-30  8:23   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-04-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rohan Prinja; +Cc: guix-devel, guile-user

Hi Rohan,

Rohan Prinja <rohan.prinja@gmail.com> skribis:

> Also, how do you suggest I get started with the pre-coding period? I
> was thinking of rereading the ISC dhclient code, this time more
> carefully,

Sounds good.

> and in parallel, adding some packages to the Guix to get a feel for
> how porting packages to the archive works.

This is a nice thing to do ;-), but it’s obviously not really needed for
the DHCP work itself.

> Once I'm done reading dhclient, I could start on designing the CLI. Is
> this fine or do you think an alternate plan of action would be better?

I guess the CLI will be very similar to ‘dhclient’, so I would recommend
not spending too much time on it at the beginning.

I think the crux will instead be API design, basically refining what you
describe in the proposal under the “May 25 - May 31” heading.  A good
idea would be to write a hypothetical ‘main’ procedure of a DHCP client
program that would use the DHCP module.

HTH,
Ludo’.