unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
@ 2022-10-25  2:10 Declan Tsien
From: Declan Tsien @ 2022-10-25  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I believe LanguageTool[1] is a Java project using Maven as it's building
tool.

Lazy me. Instead of digging the mailing list and source code which would
cost too much time and may not work out. I packaged the binary
distribution (jar files) using =copy-build-system= which I am trying to
get it merged into Nonguix[2] in case someone else also wants it.

So my questions would be:

1: What is the current status of maven-build-system? Is it capable of
building a package like this[3]?

2: Also, I don't see =guix import= has support for maven. Does that mean
we have to manually write a package definition for every dependency if
it wasn't included in Guix yet?

3: If =maven-build-system= is capable of building a package like this,
would someone like to tackle packaging =LanguageTool= from source?

1: https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool
2:
https://gitlab.com/nonguix/nonguix/-/merge_requests/226#note_1147169576
3: https://github.com/languagetool-org/languagetool/blob/master/pom.xml

Thanks

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
@ 2022-10-25 11:30 ` Julien Lepiller
From: Julien Lepiller @ 2022-10-25 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Declan Tsien

Le 25 octobre 2022 04:10:51 GMT+02:00, Declan Tsien <declantsien@riseup.net> a écrit :

>I believe LanguageTool[1] is a Java project using Maven as it's building
>tool.
>
>Lazy me. Instead of digging the mailing list and source code which would
>cost too much time and may not work out. I packaged the binary
>distribution (jar files) using =copy-build-system= which I am trying to
>get it merged into Nonguix[2] in case someone else also wants it.
>
>So my questions would be:
>
>1: What is the current status of maven-build-system? Is it capable of
>building a package like this[3]?

It's working fine, but most packages are still lacking a lot of dependencies, including some maven plugins

>2: Also, I don't see =guix import= has support for maven. Does that mean
>we have to manually write a package definition for every dependency if
>it wasn't included in Guix yet?

There's no importer and an importer would be a bit limited as it won't be able to get proper sources most of tge tine, though importing the dependency graph would be useful already. Would you like to give it a try? :)

>3: If =maven-build-system= is capable of building a package like this,
>would someone like to tackle packaging =LanguageTool= from source?

Like I said, the biggest issue would be number of packages, and maybe bug fixes as we currently have only one package using the maven-build-system.

@ 2022-10-25 23:56   ` Declan Tsien
From: Declan Tsien @ 2022-10-25 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, Julien Lepiller

Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:

> There's no importer and an importer would be a bit limited as it won't be able to get proper sources most of tge tine, though importing the dependency graph would be useful already. Would you like to give it a try? :)

Can you elaborate on this? How can I import the dependency graph if there
is no importer? I very much like to try it out when I am bored at home.

@ 2022-10-26  5:06     ` Liliana Marie Prikler
From: Liliana Marie Prikler @ 2022-10-26  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Declan Tsien, guix-devel, Julien Lepiller

Am Mittwoch, dem 26.10.2022 um 07:56 +0800 schrieb Declan Tsien:
> Julien Lepiller <julien@lepiller.eu> writes:
>

> > There's no importer and an importer would be a bit limited as it
> > won't be able to get proper sources most of tge tine, though
> > importing the dependency graph would be useful already. Would you
> > like to give it a try? :)
> >

> Can you elaborate on this? How can I import the dependency graph if
> there is no importer? I very much like to try it out when I am bored
> at home.
What Julien means is that if you were trying to write an importer,
you'd end up writing one that produces something like this

  (define-public java-language-tool
     (package
       (name "java-language-tool")
       (version "6.0")
       (source this-thing-raises-an-error)
       (inputs (list java-commons-cli ...))
       (native-inputs (list java-junit ...))
       ...))

  (define-public java-commons-cli
     (package
        (name "java-commons-cli")
        (version some-version)
        (source this-thing-raises-an-error)
        ...))

In other words, you won't be able to actually build language-tool until
you insert proper sources in all the source fields – which Julien fears
maven, being a binary distribution system first and foremost, won't
deliver on its own.

Cheers

* Re: Build LanguageTool use maven-build-system?
@ 2022-10-26  5:20       ` Declan Tsien
From: Declan Tsien @ 2022-10-26  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liliana Marie Prikler, guix-devel