unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix Data Service can now poll for new revisions/branches
@ 2023-10-10  9:29 Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-10-10  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hey,

As has happened before in the past, at the moment we're not getting
emails to guix-commits for the main guix.git repository. This impacts
the data service instances as they use these emails to know when there
are new revisions to process.

I've now added the ability to configure the data service to poll the
repository for changes and I've enabled this on both data.guix.gnu.org
and data.qa.guix.gnu.org, which should mean they'll be shortly back up
to date.

This sounds easy, but it was a little tricky to implement, as I didn't
want to remove the email feature in favour of polling, at least not
yet. It's also had a large impact on data.qa.guix.gnu.org, as now it's
learned about lots of older branches that it didn't know about before.

Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Guix Data Service can now poll for new revisions/branches
@ 2023-10-10 12:59 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-10-10 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Baines; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Christopher,

Christopher Baines <mail@cbaines.net> writes:

> Hey,
>
> As has happened before in the past, at the moment we're not getting
> emails to guix-commits for the main guix.git repository. This impacts
> the data service instances as they use these emails to know when there
> are new revisions to process.
>
> I've now added the ability to configure the data service to poll the
> repository for changes and I've enabled this on both data.guix.gnu.org
> and data.qa.guix.gnu.org, which should mean they'll be shortly back up
> to date.
>
> This sounds easy, but it was a little tricky to implement, as I didn't
> want to remove the email feature in favour of polling, at least not
> yet. It's also had a large impact on data.qa.guix.gnu.org, as now it's
> learned about lots of older branches that it didn't know about before.

Ludovic recently implemented a mechanism to notify Cuirass of new
commits via the Savannah server-side git hook; perhaps you could use
that as well?  It should be cheaper than polling on the git repo.

Maxim

* Re: Guix Data Service can now poll for new revisions/branches
@ 2023-10-12 11:52   ` Christopher Baines
From: Christopher Baines @ 2023-10-12 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: guix-devel