unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Helping with abandoned patches
@ 2024-01-17 17:17 Greg Hogan
From: Greg Hogan @ 2024-01-17 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

What is the preferred process for when a patch review is provided
(often by a committer) but no response is received from the submitter
(for many weeks or months)?

Is it appropriate to make the recommended changes and submit an updated patch?

Examples include #62262 and #67294, but there surely are many more.

Greg

* Re: Helping with abandoned patches
@ 2024-01-17 18:08 ` Saku Laesvuori
From: Saku Laesvuori @ 2024-01-17 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Hogan; +Cc: guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 12:17:26PM -0500, Greg Hogan wrote:
> What is the preferred process for when a patch review is provided
> (often by a committer) but no response is received from the submitter
> (for many weeks or months)?
>
> Is it appropriate to make the recommended changes and submit an updated patch?

I see no reason why it wouldn't be and at least I have done so[1] and
the patch got eventually applied.

[1]: https://issues.guix.gnu.org/61740

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Helping with abandoned patches
@ 2024-01-17 18:10 ` Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Felix Lechner via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-01-17 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Hogan, guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 17 2024, Greg Hogan wrote:

> Is it appropriate to make the recommended changes and submit an
> updated patch?

Yes, absolutely!

Kind regards
Felix

* Re: Helping with abandoned patches
@ 2024-03-08 17:51 ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2024-03-08 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Hogan, guix-devel

Hi Greg,

On mer., 17 janv. 2024 at 12:17, Greg Hogan <code@greghogan.com> wrote:
> What is the preferred process for when a patch review is provided
> (often by a committer) but no response is received from the submitter
> (for many weeks or months)?
>
> Is it appropriate to make the recommended changes and submit an updated patch?

Yes because the aim is to improve the code so the review is not lost.

Moreover, in that case of no response after a delay, if the reviewer
does not have commit access, the best (more helpful) seems sending by
the reviewer or anyone else a new version including the recommended
changes.

Cheers,
simon