unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-06-30 20:02 Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-06-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I have a bit hard time to explain to other people whereas the Guix is only
a package manager or the name for complete OS and I have to confess myself
it is not really clear to me too.

This logo
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/guix-logo.small.png
says Guix The GNU System, however the text states mostly this is a GNU
system with Guix, on the other side, the News also points to the GNU dmd
release on Guix front page too, so it is not only about guix.

What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be named
"GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it that Guix
itself is the GNU system...?

"Marketing" only a "GNU system" name is going to be bit hard, if I would
be asked I would vote for some more unique name like GuixOS.. whatever. Or
do I miss the point completely?

Adam Pribyl

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-06-30 20:29 ` Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer @ 2014-06-30 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> writes:

> I have a bit hard time to explain to other people whereas the Guix is
> only a package manager or the name for complete OS and I have to
> confess myself it is not really clear to me too.
>
> This logo
> http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/guix-logo.small.png
> says Guix The GNU System, however the text states mostly this is a GNU
> system with Guix, on the other side, the News also points to the GNU
> dmd release on Guix front page too, so it is not only about guix.
>
> What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be
> named "GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it
> that Guix itself is the GNU system...?
>
> "Marketing" only a "GNU system" name is going to be bit hard, if I
> would be asked I would vote for some more unique name like
> GuixOS.. whatever. Or do I miss the point completely?
>

> Adam Pribyl

Guix is simply both the name of the package manager and the OS.  They
are unlikely to ever get separated so it should be fine, though I also
think it's sub-optimal and it would be neat being able to distinguish
the two; the OS also includes stuff like dmd as you say.

Taylan

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-07-01  8:30 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-01  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Pribyl; +Cc: guix-devel

Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:

> What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be
> named "GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it
> that Guix itself is the GNU system...?

GNU Guix is the package manager of the GNU system.  The GNU system is
the GNU/{Linux,Hurd} distribution that uses Guix as its package manager,
dmd as its init system, the GNU libc, etc.

So the distribution is called “the GNU system”, or “GNU”.

Easy, no?  :-)

If you think that should be clarified or something, please do share your
thoughts on that.

> "Marketing" only a "GNU system" name is going to be bit hard,

What makes you think so?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-07-01  8:51   ` Quiliro Ordóñez Baca
From: Quiliro Ordóñez Baca @ 2014-07-01  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

El mar 01 jul 2014 03:30:07 ECT, Ludovic Courtès escribió:
> Adam Pribyl <pribyl@lowlevel.cz> skribis:
>
>> What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be
>> named "GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it
>> that Guix itself is the GNU system...?
>
> GNU Guix is the package manager of the GNU system.  The GNU system is
> the GNU/{Linux,Hurd} distribution that uses Guix as its package manager,
> dmd as its init system, the GNU libc, etc.
>
> So the distribution is called “the GNU system”, or “GNU”.
>
> Easy, no?  :-)

Not so much.

I thought Blag, Dragora, Dynebolic, gNewSense, Musix, Parabola,
Trisquel and Ututo were distros of the GNU operating system. But you
say that the GNU operating system has Guix. Those distros do not have
Guix. What would they be in relation to GNU then? ¿Not GNU (NG)?

Thank you for the clarification.
--
Saludos libres,
Quiliro Ordóñez

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-07-01  9:45     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-01  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Quiliro Ordóñez Baca; +Cc: guix-devel

Quiliro Ordóñez Baca <quiliro@congresolibre.org> skribis:

> I thought Blag, Dragora, Dynebolic, gNewSense, Musix, Parabola,
> Trisquel and Ututo were distros of the GNU operating system. But you
> say that the GNU operating system has Guix. Those distros do not have
> Guix. What would they be in relation to GNU then? ¿Not GNU (NG)?

Right, these distros are pretty much distros of the GNU system, although
they may use non-GNU packages in cases where they could use the GNU
package instead, for instance.

However, they’re not part of the GNU project, and thus they are not
“the GNU system.”

Ah, naming...

Ludo’.

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-07-01 12:13   ` Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer
From: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer @ 2014-07-01 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> So the distribution is called “the GNU system”, or “GNU”.

Hrm, isn't Guix also the name of the distro?

https://gnu.org/s/guix/ says that "GNU Guix is a purely functional
package manager for the GNU system, and a distribution thereof."  And
then the Guix logo has the "The GNU System" subtitle, and the page is
about both the package manager and the distro, etc.

I suppose it makes sense to use the more specific name Guix when
differentiating between GNU/Linux distros, talking about this specific
project, etc., although the resulting distro is also *the* GNU distro.

Taylan

* Re: Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-07-01 15:29     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-07-01 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer; +Cc: guix-devel

Taylan Ulrich Bayirli/Kammer <taylanbayirli@gmail.com> skribis:

> ludo@gnu.org (Ludovic Courtès) writes:
>
>> So the distribution is called “the GNU system”, or “GNU”.
>
> Hrm, isn't Guix also the name of the distro?
>
> https://gnu.org/s/guix/ says that "GNU Guix is a purely functional
> package manager for the GNU system, and a distribution thereof."  And
> then the Guix logo has the "The GNU System" subtitle, and the page is
> about both the package manager and the distro, etc.

Yeah, there’s some ambiguity here.

> I suppose it makes sense to use the more specific name Guix when
> differentiating between GNU/Linux distros, talking about this specific
> project, etc., although the resulting distro is also *the* GNU distro.

I see what you mean.

OTOH I find it important to insist on the fact that GNU is a concrete
operating system.  The fact that the “Download GNU” button on gnu.org
points to a mere list of GNU/Linux distribution isn’t helping the image
and strength of the GNU project, and cohesion within the project.

This is why I think we must build the actual GNU system, as initially
envisioned.

This is a conclusion I and others reached a few years ago at the GHM and
on gnu-system-discuss [0].  Similar motivations led to GSRC earlier.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] See the thread that starts at
    <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-system-discuss/2012-03/msg00000.html>