unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Guix and The OS name?
@ 2014-06-30 20:02 Adam Pribyl
From: Adam Pribyl @ 2014-06-30 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I have a bit hard time to explain to other people whereas the Guix is only
a package manager or the name for complete OS and I have to confess myself
it is not really clear to me too.

This logo
http://www.gnu.org/software/guix/graphics/guix-logo.small.png
says Guix The GNU System, however the text states mostly this is a GNU
system with Guix, on the other side, the News also points to the GNU dmd
release on Guix front page too, so it is not only about guix.

What is then the official naming strategy. Is this all going to be named
"GNU system" and guix is going to be only a part of it? Or is it that Guix
itself is the GNU system...?

"Marketing" only a "GNU system" name is going to be bit hard, if I would
be asked I would vote for some more unique name like GuixOS.. whatever. Or
do I miss the point completely?

Adam Pribyl