unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* A Suggestion about guix-devel-mode
@ 2017-04-11 23:10 Feng Shu
From: Feng Shu @ 2017-04-11 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Feng Shu

Maybe we should add three addition keybinding:

1. Force rebuild the package defined by the current variable definition.
2. Install/upgrade the package defined by the current variable definition.
3  Remove package defined by the current variable definition.

#+BEGIN_COMMENT
4.9 Development

By default, when you open a Scheme file, guix-devel-mode will be activated (if you don’t want it, set guix-devel-activate-mode to nil). This minor mode provides the following key bindings:

C-c . k

    Copy the name of the current Guile module into kill ring (guix-devel-copy-module-as-kill).
C-c . u

    Use the current Guile module. Often after opening a Scheme file, you want to use a module it defines, so you switch to the Geiser REPL and write ,use (some module) there. You may just use this command instead (guix-devel-use-module).
C-c . b

    Build a package defined by the current variable definition. The building process is run in the current Geiser REPL. If you modified the current package definition, don’t forget to reevaluate it before calling this command—for example, with C-M-x (see To eval or not to eval in Geiser User Manual) (guix-devel-build-package-definition).
C-c . s

    Build a source derivation of the package defined by the current variable definition. This command has the same meaning as guix build -S shell command (see Invoking guix build) (guix-devel-build-package-source).
C-c . l

    Lint (check) a package defined by the current variable definition (see Invoking guix lint) (guix-devel-lint-package).

#+END_COMMENT

* Re: A Suggestion about guix-devel-mode
@ 2017-04-12  8:09 ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-04-12  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Feng Shu; +Cc: guix-devel

To make it clear, this is a question about Emacs-Guix.

Feng Shu (2017-04-12 07:10 +0800) wrote:

> Maybe we should add three addition keybinding:
>
> 1. Force rebuild the package defined by the current variable definition.

What do you mean?  What is the analogous guix shell command?

> 2. Install/upgrade the package defined by the current variable definition.
> 3  Remove package defined by the current variable definition.

Hm, interesting idea, I need to think about it, thanks!

--
Alex

* Re: A Suggestion about guix-devel-mode
@ 2017-04-13  2:19   ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-04-13  2:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: guix-devel, Feng Shu

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

> To make it clear, this is a question about Emacs-Guix.
>
> Feng Shu (2017-04-12 07:10 +0800) wrote:
>
>> Maybe we should add three addition keybinding:
>>
>> 1. Force rebuild the package defined by the current variable definition.
>
> What do you mean?  What is the analogous guix shell command?

I could be wrong, but I don't think you can in general force a rebuild.
The only way to force a rebuild that I know of is to GC the store path
and then rebuild the package or derivation.  If I'm wrong, someone
please correct me!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: A Suggestion about guix-devel-mode
@ 2017-04-13 14:55     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-04-13 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: guix-devel, Feng Shu, Alex Kost

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> To make it clear, this is a question about Emacs-Guix.
>>
>> Feng Shu (2017-04-12 07:10 +0800) wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe we should add three addition keybinding:
>>>
>>> 1. Force rebuild the package defined by the current variable definition.
>>
>> What do you mean?  What is the analogous guix shell command?
>
> I could be wrong, but I don't think you can in general force a rebuild.
> The only way to force a rebuild that I know of is to GC the store path
> and then rebuild the package or derivation.  If I'm wrong, someone
> please correct me!

You can also force a rebuild with “guix build foo --check”, whose main
purpose is to check for bit-reproducibility.

Ludo’.

* Re: A Suggestion about guix-devel-mode
@ 2017-04-13 15:04       ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2017-04-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel, Feng Shu, Alex Kost