unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* etc/commiter.scm should not commit
@ 2023-01-24  2:50 Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-01-24  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel

There have been countless times when I was using etc/commiter.scm and it
commited more than it should have and then slapped an incorrect message
on it.
I think it would make a lot more sense if adding changes was left up to
the human at the keyboard (at least by default) and the script was
invoked only when editing the commit message.

* Re: etc/commiter.scm should not commit
@ 2023-01-24 13:55 ` Ekaitz Zarraga
From: Ekaitz Zarraga @ 2023-01-24 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csepp; +Cc: Guix Devel

> There have been countless times when I was using etc/commiter.scm and it
> commited more than it should have and then slapped an incorrect message
> on it.
> I think it would make a lot more sense if adding changes was left up to
> the human at the keyboard (at least by default) and the script was
> invoked only when editing the commit message.

That could be done on a git hook but developers would need to configure it.

* Re: etc/commiter.scm should not commit
@ 2023-01-24 15:42   ` Csepp
From: Csepp @ 2023-01-24 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ekaitz Zarraga; +Cc: Csepp, Guix Devel

Ekaitz Zarraga <ekaitz@elenq.tech> writes:

> [...]

It does not need to be a hook, it can be done by setting EDITOR or
VISUAL, or commiter.scm can even retain its current interface and just
internally git add everything and call the script that would decide the
message based on the staged diff.

* etc/commiter.scm should not commit
@ 2023-01-25  9:33 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2023-01-25  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix Devel; +Cc: Csepp

> There have been countless times when I was using etc/commiter.scm and it
> commited more than it should have and then slapped an incorrect message
> on it.

I wrote the initial version of etc/committer.scm to help me make 200+
commits for R updates.  It performs that task as intended.

If it does not work correctly with arbitrarily complex changes I suggest
clearly specifying the expected behavior in a bug report.

--
Ricardo