unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* GSoC: Rémi to work on package distribution over GNUnet
@ 2015-04-29 19:58 Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-04-29 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, gnunet-developers; +Cc: DocMalloc, Bart Polot

Hello!

I’m happy to announce that Rémi Birot-Delrue will be working on binary
package distribution for Guix using GNUnet as part of Google’s Summer of
Code, as described at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2015.html#guix>.
Rémi will be mentored by Bart Polot, Matthias Wachs, and myself.

The goal is to have a command akin to ‘guix publish’ allowing users to
publish build results using GNUnet file sharing, and to have a
“substituter” allowing users to retrieve build results over GNUnet (see
<https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Substitutes.html>
for some background.)

Rémi plans to start working on Guile bindings for GNUnet’s file sharing
(presumably using the FFI), and then to start working on the substituter
itself (based on ‘guix substitute’) and the publisher.

I think the Guile bindings could be hosted in GNUnet’s repo, and the
rest could go in a branch in Guix’s repo.

Anyway please welcome Rémi on #guix and #gnunet!  :-)

Bart, Matthias, and Rémi: please add anything I forgot to mention!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: GSoC: Rémi to work on package distribution over GNUnet
@ 2015-05-02 15:05 ` Rémi Birot-Delrue
From: Rémi Birot-Delrue @ 2015-05-02 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

first of all: thank you for trusting me on this project! Working on it
and for the GNU/FSF means a lot to me.

As Ludovic stated, I will start writing Guile bindings for the needed
parts of GnuNet. On these building will be written a library to
adequately share packages through GnuNet; it will be basement for the
substituer and the publisher.

My work at this point has mostly been reading (a lot; Guix, Guile &
GnuNet documentations and code parts), thinking, and experimenting (with
Guile dynamic FFI and GnuNet).

On the communications side, I intend to send on this list a small report
of my activities on a weekly basis; if you think this is too much or not
enough, feel free to point it out to me :)

You can contact me with this email (asgeir@free.fr), also you’ll also
often find me on Guix’s IRC channel as remi`bd.

Thank you for your kind welcome,
--
Rémi Birot-Delrue