unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* guix installation why internet connection required?
@ 2023-12-19 20:03 vvt
From: vvt @ 2023-12-19 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1: Plaintext Message --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 540 bytes --]

x86 x64 gnu guix system 1.4.0 iso requires internet connection in order to get
installed. Same goes for i686 iso.

Why is that so? Why is there no
iso option for installing off line? Thanks.

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to abuse@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

[-- Attachment #2: HTML Message --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 998 bytes --]

* Re: guix installation why internet connection required?
@ 2023-12-20 18:13 Adam Faiz
From: Adam Faiz @ 2023-12-20 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vvt; +Cc: guix-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 978 bytes --]

Hi vvt,
> x86 x64 gnu guix system 1.4.0 iso requires internet connection in order to get
> installed. Same goes for i686 iso.
>
> Why is that so? Why is there no
> iso option for installing off line? Thanks.

The reason why is because the GNU Guix System ISO is a netinstall ISO,
it has the bare minimum needed to customise the installation options and then downloads the packages when installing.

There's no option for installing offline because Guix currently doesn't offer ISO images that do that, even though it's possible.
There's previous discussion about this issue: https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-12/msg00452.html

Could you try this operating system definition? I think it should work(it adds XFCE and MATE).
Make a Guix checkout, and put the attached file in the gnu/system directory of the local Guix copy.
Then you can do `guix system image -t iso9660 gnu/system/offline-install.scm` to generate the offline installation ISO.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: offline-install.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 28499 bytes --]

;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
;;; Copyright © 2014-2022 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
;;; Copyright © 2015 Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org>
;;; Copyright © 2016 Andreas Enge <andreas@enge.fr>
;;; Copyright © 2017 Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com>
;;; Copyright © 2017, 2019 Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr>
;;; Copyright © 2020 Florian Pelz <pelzflorian@pelzflorian.de>
;;; Copyright © 2020 Efraim Flashner <efraim@flashner.co.il>
;;; Copyright © 2022 Josselin Poiret <dev@jpoiret.xyz>
;;;
;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
;;; your option) any later version.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
;;;
;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

(define-module (gnu system install)
  #:use-module (gnu)
  #:use-module (gnu system)
  #:use-module (gnu system setuid)
  #:use-module (gnu bootloader u-boot)
  #:use-module (guix gexp)
  #:use-module (guix store)
  #:use-module (guix monads)
  #:use-module (guix modules)
  #:use-module ((guix packages) #:select (package-version supported-package?))
  #:use-module (guix platform)
  #:use-module ((guix store) #:select (%store-prefix))
  #:use-module (guix utils)
  #:use-module (gnu installer)
  #:use-module (gnu system locale)
  #:use-module (gnu services avahi)
  #:use-module (gnu services dbus)
  #:use-module (gnu services networking)
  #:use-module (gnu services shepherd)
  #:use-module (gnu services ssh)
  #:use-module (gnu packages admin)
  #:use-module (gnu packages bash)
  #:use-module (gnu packages bootloaders)
  #:use-module (gnu packages certs)
  #:use-module (gnu packages compression)
  #:use-module (gnu packages cryptsetup)
  #:use-module (gnu packages disk)
  #:use-module (gnu packages file-systems)
  #:use-module (gnu packages fonts)
  #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils)
  #:use-module (gnu packages guile)
  #:use-module (gnu packages linux)
  #:use-module (gnu packages package-management)
  #:use-module (gnu packages texinfo)
  #:use-module (gnu packages xorg)
  #:use-module (ice-9 match)
  #:use-module (srfi srfi-26)
  #:export (installation-os
            a20-olinuxino-lime-installation-os
            a20-olinuxino-lime2-emmc-installation-os
            a20-olinuxino-micro-installation-os
            bananapi-m2-ultra-installation-os
            beaglebone-black-installation-os
            mx6cuboxi-installation-os
            nintendo-nes-classic-edition-installation-os
            novena-installation-os
            firefly-rk3399-installation-os
            pine64-plus-installation-os
            pinebook-installation-os
            rock64-installation-os
            rockpro64-installation-os
            rk3399-puma-installation-os
            wandboard-installation-os
            os-with-u-boot))
(use-service-modules desktop sddm xorg)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

;;; Commentary:
;;;
;;; This module provides an 'operating-system' definition for use on images
;;; for USB sticks etc., for the installation of the GNU system.
;;;
;;; Code:

\f
;;;
;;; Documentation service.
;;;

(define %installation-node-names
  ;; Translated name of the "System Installation" node of the manual.  Ideally
  ;; we'd extract it from the 'guix-manual' gettext domain, but that one is
  ;; usually not available at run time, hence this hack.
  '(("de" . "Systeminstallation")
    ("en" . "System Installation")
    ("es" . "Instalación del sistema")
    ("fr" . "Installation du système")
    ("ru" . "Установка системы")))

(define (log-to-info tty user)
  "Return a script that spawns the Info reader on the right section of the
manual."
  (program-file "log-to-info"
                #~(let* ((tty      (open-file #$(string-append "/dev/" tty)
                                              "r0+"))
                         (locale   (cadr (command-line)))
                         (language (string-take locale
                                                (string-index locale #\_)))
                         (infodir  "/run/current-system/profile/share/info")
                         (per-lang (string-append infodir "/guix." language
                                                  ".info.gz"))
                         (file     (if (file-exists? per-lang)
                                       per-lang
                                       (string-append infodir "/guix.info")))
                         (node     (or (assoc-ref '#$%installation-node-names
                                                  language)
                                       "System Installation")))
                    (redirect-port tty (current-output-port))
                    (redirect-port tty (current-error-port))
                    (redirect-port tty (current-input-port))

                    (let ((pw (getpwnam #$user)))
                      (setgid (passwd:gid pw))
                      (setuid (passwd:uid pw)))

                    ;; 'gunzip' is needed to decompress the doc.
                    (setenv "PATH" (string-append #$gzip "/bin"))

                    ;; Change this process' locale so that command-line
                    ;; arguments to 'info' are properly encoded.
                    (catch #t
                      (lambda ()
                        (setlocale LC_ALL locale)
                        (setenv "LC_ALL" locale))
                      (lambda _
                        ;; Sometimes LOCALE itself is not available.  In that
                        ;; case pick the one UTF-8 locale that's known to work
                        ;; instead of failing.
                        (setlocale LC_ALL "en_US.utf8")
                        (setenv "LC_ALL" "en_US.utf8")))

                    (execl #$(file-append info-reader "/bin/info")
                           "info" "-d" infodir "-f" file "-n" node))))

(define (documentation-shepherd-service tty)
  (list (shepherd-service
         (provision (list (symbol-append 'term- (string->symbol tty))))
         (requirement '(user-processes host-name udev virtual-terminal))
         (start #~(lambda* (#:optional (locale "en_US.utf8"))
                    (fork+exec-command
                     (list #$(log-to-info tty "documentation") locale)
                     #:environment-variables
                     `("GUIX_LOCPATH=/run/current-system/locale"
                       "TERM=linux"))))
         (stop #~(make-kill-destructor)))))

(define %documentation-users
  ;; User account for the Info viewer.
  (list (user-account (name "documentation")
                      (system? #t)
                      (group "nogroup")
                      (home-directory "/var/empty"))))

(define documentation-service-type
  ;; Documentation viewer service.
  (service-type (name 'documentation)
                (extensions
                 (list (service-extension shepherd-root-service-type
                                          documentation-shepherd-service)
                       (service-extension account-service-type
                                          (const %documentation-users))))
                (description "Run the Info reader on a tty.")))

\f
(define %backing-directory
  ;; Sub-directory used as the backing store for copy-on-write.
  "/tmp/guix-inst")

(define cow-store-service-type
  (shepherd-service-type
   'cow-store
   (lambda _
     (define (import-module? module)
       ;; Since we don't use deduplication support in 'populate-store', don't
       ;; import (guix store deduplication) and its dependencies, which
       ;; includes Guile-Gcrypt.
       (and (guix-module-name? module)
            (not (equal? module '(guix store deduplication)))))

     (shepherd-service
      (requirement '(root-file-system user-processes))
      (provision '(cow-store))
      (documentation
       "Make the store copy-on-write, with writes going to \
the given target.")

      ;; This is meant to be explicitly started by the user.
      (auto-start? #f)

      (modules `((gnu build install)
                 ,@%default-modules))
      (start
       (with-imported-modules (source-module-closure
                               '((gnu build install))
                               #:select? import-module?)
         #~(case-lambda
             ((target)
              (mount-cow-store target #$%backing-directory)
              target)
             (else
              ;; Do nothing, and mark the service as stopped.
              #f))))
      (stop #~(lambda (target)
                ;; Delete the temporary directory, but leave everything
                ;; mounted as there may still be processes using it since
                ;; 'user-processes' doesn't depend on us.  The 'user-file-systems'
                ;; service will unmount TARGET eventually.
                (delete-file-recursively
                 (string-append target #$%backing-directory))))))
   (description "Make the store copy-on-write, with writes going to \
the given target.")))

(define (cow-store-service)
  "Return a service that makes the store copy-on-write, such that writes go to
the user's target storage device rather than on the RAM disk."
  ;; See <http://bugs.gnu.org/18061> for the initial report.
  (service cow-store-service-type 'mooooh!))

(define (/etc/configuration-files _)
  "Return a list of tuples representing configuration templates to add to
/etc."
  (define directory
    (computed-file "configuration-templates"
                   (with-imported-modules '((guix build utils))
                     #~(begin
                         (mkdir #$output)
                         (for-each (lambda (file target)
                                     (copy-file file
                                                (string-append #$output "/"
                                                               target)))
                                   '(#$(local-file "examples/bare-bones.tmpl")
                                     #$(local-file "examples/beaglebone-black.tmpl")
                                     #$(local-file "examples/desktop.tmpl")
                                     #$(local-file "examples/lightweight-desktop.tmpl"))
                                   '("bare-bones.scm"
                                     "beaglebone-black.scm"
                                     "desktop.scm"
                                     "lightweight-desktop.scm"))
                         #t))))

  `(("configuration" ,directory)))

(define configuration-template-service-type
  (service-type (name 'configuration-template)
                (extensions
                 (list (service-extension etc-service-type
                                          /etc/configuration-files)))
                (description "Install the operating system configuration file
templates under @file{/etc/configuration}.")))

(define %configuration-template-service
  (service configuration-template-service-type #t))

(define %nscd-minimal-caches
  ;; Minimal in-memory caching policy for nscd.
  (list (nscd-cache (database 'hosts)
                    (positive-time-to-live (* 3600 12))

                    ;; Do not cache lookup failures at all since they are
                    ;; quite likely (for instance when someone tries to ping a
                    ;; host before networking is functional.)
                    (negative-time-to-live 0)

                    (persistent? #f)
                    (max-database-size (* 5 (expt 2 20)))))) ;5 MiB

\f
;; These define a service to load the uvesafb kernel module with the
;; appropriate options.  The GUI installer needs it when the machine does not
;; support Kernel Mode Setting.  Otherwise kmscon is missing /dev/fb0.
(define (uvesafb-shepherd-service _)
  (define modprobe
    (program-file "modprobe-wrapper"
                  #~(begin
                      ;; Use a wrapper because shepherd 0.9.3 won't let us
                      ;; pass environment variables to the child process:
                      ;; <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/60106>.
                      (setenv "LINUX_MODULE_DIRECTORY"
                              "/run/booted-system/kernel/lib/modules")
                      (apply execl #$(file-append kmod "/bin/modprobe")
                             "modprobe" (cdr (command-line))))))

  (list (shepherd-service
         (documentation "Load the uvesafb kernel module if needed.")
         (provision '(maybe-uvesafb))
         (requirement '(file-systems))
         (start #~(lambda ()
                    (or (file-exists? "/dev/fb0")
                        (invoke #+modprobe
                                "uvesafb"
                                (string-append "v86d=" #$v86d "/sbin/v86d")
                                "mode_option=1024x768"))))
         (respawn? #f)
         (one-shot? #t))))

(define uvesafb-service-type
  (service-type
   (name 'uvesafb)
   (extensions
    (list (service-extension shepherd-root-service-type
                             uvesafb-shepherd-service)))
   (description
    "Load the @code{uvesafb} kernel module with the right options.")
   (default-value #t)))

(define* (%installation-services #:key (system (or (and=>
                                                    (%current-target-system)
                                                    platform-target->system)
                                                   (%current-system))))
  ;; List of services of the installation system.
  (let ((motd (plain-file "motd" "
\x1b[1;37mWelcome to the installation of GNU Guix!\x1b[0m

\x1b[2m\
Using this shell, you can carry out the installation process \"manually.\"
Access documentation at any time by pressing Alt-F2.\x1b[0m
")))
    (define (normal-tty tty)
      (service mingetty-service-type
               (mingetty-configuration (tty tty)
                                       (auto-login "root")
                                       (login-pause? #t))))

    (define bare-bones-os
      (load "examples/bare-bones.tmpl"))

    (append
     ;; Generic services
     (list (service virtual-terminal-service-type)

           (service kmscon-service-type
                    (kmscon-configuration
                     (virtual-terminal "tty1")
                     (login-program (installer-program))))

           (service login-service-type
                    (login-configuration
                     (motd motd)))

           ;; Documentation.  The manual is in UTF-8, but
           ;; 'console-font-service' sets up Unicode support and loads a font
           ;; with all the useful glyphs like em dash and quotation marks.
           (service documentation-service-type "tty2")

           ;; Documentation add-on.
           %configuration-template-service

           ;; A bunch of 'root' ttys.
           (normal-tty "tty3")
           (normal-tty "tty4")
           (normal-tty "tty5")
           (normal-tty "tty6")

           ;; The usual services.
           (service syslog-service-type)

           ;; Use the Avahi daemon to discover substitute servers on the local
           ;; network.  It can be faster than fetching from remote servers.
           (service avahi-service-type)

           ;; The build daemon.
           (service guix-service-type
                    (guix-configuration
                     ;; Register the default substitute server key(s) as
                     ;; trusted to allow the installation process to use
                     ;; substitutes by default.
                     (authorize-key? #t)

                     ;; Install and run the current Guix rather than an older
                     ;; snapshot.
                     (guix (current-guix))))

           ;; Start udev so that useful device nodes are available.
           ;; Use device-mapper rules for cryptsetup & co; enable the CRDA for
           ;; regulations-compliant WiFi access.
           (service udev-service-type
                    (udev-configuration
                     (rules (list lvm2 crda))))

           ;; Add the 'cow-store' service, which users have to start manually
           ;; since it takes the installation directory as an argument.
           (cow-store-service)

           ;; Install Unicode support and a suitable font.
           (service console-font-service-type
                    (map (match-lambda
                           ("tty2"
                            ;; Use a font that contains characters such as
                            ;; curly quotes as found in the manual.
                            '("tty2" . "LatGrkCyr-8x16"))
                           (tty
                            ;; Use a font that doesn't have more than 256
                            ;; glyphs so that we can use colors with varying
                            ;; brightness levels (see note in setfont(8)).
                            `(,tty . "lat9u-16")))
                         '("tty1" "tty2" "tty3" "tty4" "tty5" "tty6")))

           ;; To facilitate copy/paste.
           (service gpm-service-type)

           ;; Add an SSH server to facilitate remote installs.
           (service openssh-service-type
                    (openssh-configuration
                     (port-number 22)
                     (permit-root-login #t)
                     ;; The root account is passwordless, so make sure
                     ;; a password is set before allowing logins.
                     (allow-empty-passwords? #f)
                     (password-authentication? #t)

                     ;; Don't start it upfront.
                     (%auto-start? #f)))

           ;; Since this is running on a USB stick with a overlayfs as the root
           ;; file system, use an appropriate cache configuration.
           (service nscd-service-type
                    (nscd-configuration
                     (caches %nscd-minimal-caches)))

           ;; Having /bin/sh is a good idea.  In particular it allows Tramp
           ;; connections to this system to work.
           (service special-files-service-type
                    `(("/bin/sh" ,(file-append bash "/bin/sh"))))

           ;; Loopback device, needed by OpenSSH notably.
           (service static-networking-service-type
                    (list %loopback-static-networking))

           (service wpa-supplicant-service-type)
           (service dbus-root-service-type)
           (service connman-service-type
                    (connman-configuration
                     (disable-vpn? #t)))

           ;;; Add XFCE and MATE to the installation ISO.
           (service elogind-service-type)
           (service mate-desktop-service-type)
           (service xfce-desktop-service-type)
           (set-xorg-configuration
            (xorg-configuration
             (keyboard-layout #f))
            sddm-service-type)

           ;; Keep a reference to BARE-BONES-OS to make sure it can be
           ;; installed without downloading/building anything.  Also keep the
           ;; things needed by 'profile-derivation' to minimize the amount of
           ;; download.
           (service gc-root-service-type
                    (append
                     (list bare-bones-os
                           (libc-utf8-locales-for-target system)
                           texinfo
                           guile-3.0)
                     %default-locale-libcs)))

     ;; Specific system services

     ;; Machines without Kernel Mode Setting (those with many old and
     ;; current AMD GPUs, SiS GPUs, ...) need uvesafb to show the GUI
     ;; installer.  Some may also need a kernel parameter like nomodeset
     ;; or vga=793, but we leave that for the user to specify in GRUB.
     `(,@(if (supported-package? v86d system)
             (list (service uvesafb-service-type))
             '())))))

(define %issue
  ;; Greeting.
  "
\x1b[1;37mThis is an installation image of the GNU system.  Welcome.\x1b[0m

\x1b[1;33mUse Alt-F2 for documentation.\x1b[0m
")

(define %installer-disk-utilities
  ;; A well-rounded set of packages for interacting with disks, partitions and
  ;; file systems, included with the Guix installation image.
  (list parted gptfdisk ddrescue
        ;; Use the static LVM2 because it's already pulled in by the installer.
        lvm2-static
        ;; We used to provide fdisk from GNU fdisk, but as of version 2.0.0a
        ;; it pulls Guile 1.8, which takes unreasonable space; furthermore
        ;; util-linux's fdisk is already available, in %base-packages-linux.
        cryptsetup mdadm
        dosfstools
        btrfs-progs
        e2fsprogs
        f2fs-tools
        jfsutils
        xfsprogs))

(define installation-os
  ;; The operating system used on installation images for USB sticks etc.
  (operating-system
    (host-name "gnu")
    (timezone "Europe/Paris")
    (locale "en_US.utf8")
    (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss)
    ;(keyboard-layout (keyboard-layout "us" "altgr-intl"))
    (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                 (bootloader grub-bootloader)
                 (targets '("/dev/sda"))))
    (label (string-append "GNU Guix installation "
                          (or (getenv "GUIX_DISPLAYED_VERSION")
                              (package-version guix))))

    ;; XXX: The AMD Radeon driver is reportedly broken, which makes kmscon
    ;; non-functional:
    ;; <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00441.html>.
    ;; Thus, blacklist it.
    (kernel-arguments '("quiet" "modprobe.blacklist=radeon,amdgpu"))

    (file-systems
     ;; Note: the disk image build code overrides this root file system with
     ;; the appropriate one.
     (append %base-live-file-systems

            ;; XXX: This should be %BASE-FILE-SYSTEMS but we don't need
            ;; elogind's cgroup file systems.
            (list %pseudo-terminal-file-system
                  %shared-memory-file-system
                  %efivars-file-system
                  %immutable-store)))

    (users (list (user-account
                  (name "guest")
                  (group "users")
                  (supplementary-groups '("wheel")) ; allow use of sudo
                  (password "")
                  (comment "Guest of GNU"))))

    (issue %issue)
    (services (%installation-services))

    ;; We don't need setuid programs, except for 'passwd', which can be handy
    ;; if one is to allow remote SSH login to the machine being installed.
    (setuid-programs (list (setuid-program
                            (program (file-append shadow "/bin/passwd")))))

    (pam-services
     ;; Explicitly allow for empty passwords.
     (base-pam-services #:allow-empty-passwords? #t))

    (packages (append
                (list glibc         ; for 'tzselect' & co.
                      fontconfig
                      font-dejavu font-gnu-unifont
                      grub          ; mostly so xrefs to its manual work
                      nss-certs)    ; To access HTTPS, use git, etc.
                %installer-disk-utilities
                %base-packages))))

(define* (os-with-u-boot os board #:key (bootloader-target "/dev/mmcblk0")
                         (triplet "arm-linux-gnueabihf"))
  "Given OS, amend it with the u-boot bootloader for BOARD,
installed to BOOTLOADER-TARGET (a drive), compiled for TRIPLET.

If you want a serial console, make sure to specify one in your
operating-system's kernel-arguments (\"console=ttyS0\" or similar)."
  (operating-system (inherit os)
    (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                 (bootloader (bootloader (inherit u-boot-bootloader)
                              (package (make-u-boot-package board triplet))))
                 (targets (list bootloader-target))))))

(define* (embedded-installation-os bootloader bootloader-target tty
                                   #:key (extra-modules '()))
  "Return an installation os for embedded systems.
The initrd gets the extra modules EXTRA-MODULES.
A getty is provided on TTY.
The bootloader BOOTLOADER is installed to BOOTLOADER-TARGET."
  (operating-system
    (inherit installation-os)
    (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                 (bootloader bootloader)
                 (targets (list bootloader-target))))
    (kernel linux-libre)
    (kernel-arguments
     (cons (string-append "console=" tty)
           (operating-system-user-kernel-arguments installation-os)))
    (initrd-modules (append extra-modules %base-initrd-modules))))

(define beaglebone-black-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-beaglebone-black-bootloader
                            "/dev/sda"
                            "ttyO0"
                            #:extra-modules
                            ;; This module is required to mount the sd card.
                            '("omap_hsmmc")))

(define a20-olinuxino-lime-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-a20-olinuxino-lime-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define a20-olinuxino-lime2-emmc-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-a20-olinuxino-lime2-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk1" ; eMMC storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define a20-olinuxino-micro-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-a20-olinuxino-micro-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define bananapi-m2-ultra-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-bananapi-m2-ultra-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk1" ; eMMC storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define firefly-rk3399-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-firefly-rk3399-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card/eMMC (SD priority) storage
                            "ttyS2")) ; UART2 connected on the Pi2 bus

(define mx6cuboxi-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-mx6cuboxi-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttymxc0"))

(define novena-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-novena-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk1" ; SD card storage
                            "ttymxc1"))

(define nintendo-nes-classic-edition-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-nintendo-nes-classic-edition-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card (solder it yourself)
                            "ttyS0"))

(define pine64-plus-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-pine64-plus-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define pinebook-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-pinebook-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define rock64-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-rock64-rk3328-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card/eMMC (SD priority) storage
                            "ttyS2")) ; UART2 connected on the Pi2 bus

(define rockpro64-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-rockpro64-rk3399-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card/eMMC (SD priority) storage
                            "ttyS2")) ; UART2 connected on the Pi2 bus

(define rk3399-puma-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-puma-rk3399-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttyS0"))

(define wandboard-installation-os
  (embedded-installation-os u-boot-wandboard-bootloader
                            "/dev/mmcblk0" ; SD card storage
                            "ttymxc0"))

;(define my-installation-os
 ; (operating-system
  ;(inherit installation-os)
  ;(kernel tainted-linux-libre-5.19)))

;; Return the default os here so 'guix system' can consume it directly.
;my-installation-os
installation-os

;;; install.scm ends here

[-- Attachment #1.1.3: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: guix installation why internet connection required?
@ 2023-12-29  4:06 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-12-29  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vvt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

vvt@mail-on.us writes:

> x86 x64 gnu guix system 1.4.0 iso requires internet connection in order to get
> installed. Same goes for i686 iso.
>
> Why is that so? Why is there no
> iso option for installing off line? Thanks.

There's this ticket about the same: #43049.  If I remember correctly it
may be related by the Guix binary inside the ISO image being from the
Guix package of the Guix used to generate it, perhaps.

That seems like a tricky problem to solve.

Maxim

* Re: guix installation why internet connection required?
@ 2024-02-05 17:33   ` Giovanni Biscuolo
From: Giovanni Biscuolo @ 2024-02-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 43049, Maxim Cournoyer, vvt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Maxim and vvt@mail-on.us,

I'm including 43049@debbugs.gnu.org to keep track of the discussion on
this feature request (Add the ability to install GuixSD offline)

Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> writes:

> vvt@mail-on.us writes:
>
>> x86 x64 gnu guix system 1.4.0 iso requires internet connection in order to get
>> installed. Same goes for i686 iso.
>>
>> Why is that so? Why is there no
>> iso option for installing off line? Thanks.
>
> There's this ticket about the same: #43049.  If I remember correctly it
> may be related by the Guix binary inside the ISO image being from the
> Guix package of the Guix used to generate it, perhaps.

Sorry I don't understand the problem, could you expand please?

The guix (and daemon) versione are those of the channel used when
creating the install .iso image; booting the 1.40 installer we get a
"guix version" and "guix describe" value of 989a391...

Also, the /gnu/store (755MB on 1.4.0 installer image) have all the
software needed to run the installer; when installing the (same) linux
kernel on the target disk, for example, why the daemon would download
the same substitute when it's already in the store?

Obviously the connection to a substitute server is needed if the user
choose to install some software not already in the store, so the point
should "just" be to have all the software the installer allows the user
to be installed.

> That seems like a tricky problem to solve.

...I feel like I'm missing something important here :-)

Thanks! Gio'

--
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#43049: guix installation why internet connection required?
@ 2024-02-06 10:58     ` Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix
From: Josselin Poiret via Bug reports for GNU Guix @ 2024-02-06 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Biscuolo, 43049, Maxim Cournoyer, vvt; +Cc: guix-devel