Hi Maxim and vvt@mail-on.us, I'm including 43049@debbugs.gnu.org to keep track of the discussion on this feature request (Add the ability to install GuixSD offline) Maxim Cournoyer writes: > vvt@mail-on.us writes: > >> x86 x64 gnu guix system 1.4.0 iso requires internet connection in order to get >> installed. Same goes for i686 iso. >> >> Why is that so? Why is there no >> iso option for installing off line? Thanks. > > There's this ticket about the same: #43049. If I remember correctly it > may be related by the Guix binary inside the ISO image being from the > Guix package of the Guix used to generate it, perhaps. Sorry I don't understand the problem, could you expand please? The guix (and daemon) versione are those of the channel used when creating the install .iso image; booting the 1.40 installer we get a "guix version" and "guix describe" value of 989a391... Also, the /gnu/store (755MB on 1.4.0 installer image) have all the software needed to run the installer; when installing the (same) linux kernel on the target disk, for example, why the daemon would download the same substitute when it's already in the store? Obviously the connection to a substitute server is needed if the user choose to install some software not already in the store, so the point should "just" be to have all the software the installer allows the user to be installed. > That seems like a tricky problem to solve. ...I feel like I'm missing something important here :-) Thanks! Gio' -- Giovanni Biscuolo Xelera IT Infrastructures