unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Package variation
@ 2018-10-23  6:51 Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-23  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi all,

I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
installed with the gnome-desktop-service.

My strategy here has been to define a gnome-custom package in my
config.scm which inherits the gnome package, and remove the dependencies
that I do not use (such as gedit or nautilus).

However, I am not successful. Below is my config.scm, does anybody have
any ideas?

--

;; This is an operating system configuration template
;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix packages))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(define-public gnome-custom
  (package (inherit gnome)
    (name "gnome-custom")
    (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))

(define %my-gnome
  (modify-services %desktop-services
		   (gnome-desktop-service-type config =>
					       (gnome-desktop-configuration
							      (gnome-package gnome-custom)))))

(operating-system
  (host-name "oryxpro")
  (timezone "America/Chicago")
  (locale "en_US.utf8")

  ;; Use the UEFI variant of GRUB with the EFI System
  ;; Partition mounted on /boot/efi.
  (bootloader (bootloader-configuration
                (bootloader grub-efi-bootloader)
                (target "/boot/efi")))

  (file-systems (cons (file-system
                        (device (file-system-label "my-root"))
                        (mount-point "/")
                        (type "ext4"))
                      %base-file-systems))

  (users (cons (user-account
                (name "brettg")
                (comment "Brett Gilio")
                (group "users")
                (supplementary-groups '("wheel" "netdev"
                                        "audio" "video"))
                (home-directory "/home/brettg"))
               %base-user-accounts))

  ;; This is where we specify system-wide packages.
  (packages (cons* nss-certs         ;for HTTPS access
                   gvfs              ;for user mounts
                   %base-packages))

  ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
  ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
  ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
  ;; NetworkManager, and more.
  (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
                   %my-gnome))

  ;; Allow resolution of '.local' host names with mDNS.
  (name-service-switch %mdns-host-lookup-nss))

Brett M. Gilio
Free Software Foundation, Member
https://gnu.org/s/guix | https://emacs.org

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-23  7:33 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2018-10-23  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 01:51:21AM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
> installed with the gnome-desktop-service.
>
> My strategy here has been to define a gnome-custom package in my
> config.scm which inherits the gnome package, and remove the dependencies
> that I do not use (such as gedit or nautilus).
>
> However, I am not successful. Below is my config.scm, does anybody have
> any ideas?
>
> --
>
> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>
> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix packages))
> (use-service-modules desktop)
> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>
> (define-public gnome-custom
>   (package (inherit gnome)
>     (name "gnome-custom")
>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))
>
> (define %my-gnome
>   (modify-services %desktop-services
> 		   (gnome-desktop-service-type config =>
> 					       (gnome-desktop-configuration
> 							      (gnome-package gnome-custom)))))

<snip>

>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>   (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
>                    %my-gnome))

Here you still have the default gnome-desktop-service in the list, and
I'd assume you'd have a 50-50 chance of getting the right one when
logging in. I would change it to (untested!):

    (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
                              config =>
                              (gnome-desktop-configuration
                                (inherit config)
                                (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
                     %desktop-services))

and just remove %my-gnome from above.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-23 18:04   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-23 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

Efraim Flashner writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 01:51:21AM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
>> installed with the gnome-desktop-service.
>>
>> My strategy here has been to define a gnome-custom package in my
>> config.scm which inherits the gnome package, and remove the dependencies
>> that I do not use (such as gedit or nautilus).
>>
>> However, I am not successful. Below is my config.scm, does anybody have
>> any ideas?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ;; This is an operating system configuration template
>> ;; for a "desktop" setup with GNOME and Xfce where the
>> ;; root partition is encrypted with LUKS.
>>
>> (use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix packages))
>> (use-service-modules desktop)
>> (use-package-modules certs gnome)
>>
>> (define-public gnome-custom
>>   (package (inherit gnome)
>>     (name "gnome-custom")
>>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))
>>
>> (define %my-gnome
>>   (modify-services %desktop-services
>> 		   (gnome-desktop-service-type config =>
>> 					       (gnome-desktop-configuration
>> 							      (gnome-package gnome-custom)))))
>>
> <snip>
>>
>>   ;; Add GNOME and/or Xfce---we can choose at the log-in
>>   ;; screen with F1.  Use the "desktop" services, which
>>   ;; include the X11 log-in service, networking with
>>   ;; NetworkManager, and more.
>>   (services (cons* (gnome-desktop-service)
>>                    %my-gnome))
>
> Here you still have the default gnome-desktop-service in the list, and
> I'd assume you'd have a 50-50 chance of getting the right one when
> logging in. I would change it to (untested!):
>
>     (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
>                               config =>
>                               (gnome-desktop-configuration
>                                 (inherit config)
>                                 (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
>                      %desktop-services))
>
> and just remove %my-gnome from above.

Hi Efraim,

What you said makes sense, and I think we are on the right track
here. This is what I have now.

(define-public gnome-custom
  (package (inherit gnome)
    (name "gnome-custom")
    (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))

;; .......

(services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
			    config =>
			    (gnome-desktop-configuration
			     (inherit config)
			     (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
		   %desktop-services))

However, it doesn't seem to recognize the gnome-desktop-service-type,
which I know is coming from the desktop service. Perhaps we are defining
it incorrectly? The documentation on the configuration system seems to
suggest we use the gnome-desktop-service and then place the
gnome-desktop-service, and then inherit and set the gnome-custom
package. But I could be misreading it. Regardless, I am still
unsuccessful here.

Thank you for your time.

--

@ 2018-10-23 18:13     ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2018-10-23 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 01:04:05PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:

> [...]
>
> (define-public gnome-custom
>   (package (inherit gnome)
>     (name "gnome-custom")
>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))
>
> ;; .......
>
> (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
> 			    config =>
> 			    (gnome-desktop-configuration
> 			     (inherit config)
> 			     (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
> 		   %desktop-services))
>

> However, it doesn't seem to recognize the gnome-desktop-service-type,
> which I know is coming from the desktop service. Perhaps we are defining
> it incorrectly? The documentation on the configuration system seems to
> suggest we use the gnome-desktop-service and then place the
> gnome-desktop-service, and then inherit and set the gnome-custom
> package. But I could be misreading it. Regardless, I am still

according to gnu/services/desktop.scm gnome-desktop-service-type should
work, but since it doesn't seem to like it then go ahead and try

(service gnome-desktop-service
    config => ...

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-23 19:50       ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-23 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Efraim Flashner; +Cc: Guix-devel

Efraim Flashner writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 01:04:05PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
>>
>> Efraim Flashner writes:

>> > <snip>

>> > Here you still have the default gnome-desktop-service in the list, and
>> > I'd assume you'd have a 50-50 chance of getting the right one when
>> > logging in. I would change it to (untested!):
>> >
>> >     (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
>> >                               config =>
>> >                               (gnome-desktop-configuration
>> >                                 (inherit config)
>> >                                 (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
>> >                      %desktop-services))
>> >
>> > and just remove %my-gnome from above.
>>
>> Hi Efraim,
>>
>> What you said makes sense, and I think we are on the right track
>> here. This is what I have now.
>>
>> (define-public gnome-custom
>>   (package (inherit gnome)
>>     (name "gnome-custom")
>>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))
>>
>> ;; .......
>>
>> (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
>> 			    config =>
>> 			    (gnome-desktop-configuration
>> 			     (inherit config)
>> 			     (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
>> 		   %desktop-services))
>>

>> However, it doesn't seem to recognize the gnome-desktop-service-type,
>> which I know is coming from the desktop service. Perhaps we are defining
>> it incorrectly? The documentation on the configuration system seems to
>> suggest we use the gnome-desktop-service and then place the
>> gnome-desktop-service, and then inherit and set the gnome-custom
>> package. But I could be misreading it. Regardless, I am still
>> unsuccessful here.
>>
>> Thank you for your time.
>
> according to gnu/services/desktop.scm gnome-desktop-service-type should
> work, but since it doesn't seem to like it then go ahead and try
>
> (service gnome-desktop-service
>     config => ...

I tried that and also simply removing the service definition, but it
still doesn't seem to recognize it. I wonder if it is something to do
with the service-modules being incorrect in the header.

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-24  2:33     ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2018-10-24  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Brett,

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:

> (define-public gnome-custom
>   (package (inherit gnome)
>     (name "gnome-custom")
>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))

The spirit of this is correct, but the implementation isn't quite
right.  The gnome package has no inputs:

  scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (gnu packages gnome)
  scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (guix packages)
  scheme@(guile-user)> (package-inputs gnome)
  $1 = ()

Instead, it has many propagated inputs.  So, you should probably write:

  (define-public gnome-custom
    (package (inherit gnome)
      (name "gnome-custom")
      (propagated-inputs (alist-delete
                           "nautilus"
                           (package-propagated-inputs gnome)))))

This will work as you expect.  It's not incorrect to use alist-delete
here, but FYI you can also use matching to do this as follows:

  (define-public gnome-custom
    (package (inherit gnome)
      (name "gnome-custom")
      (propagated-inputs (remove
                           (match-lambda
                             ;; Ignore the second value.
                             ((name _)
                              (string=? name "nautilus")))
                           (package-propagated-inputs gnome)))))

Whether or not you like that better probably depends on whether or not
you view the value returned by (package-propagated-inputs gnome) as an
alist or a list of 2-element lists.

> (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
> 			    config =>
> 			    (gnome-desktop-configuration
> 			     (inherit config)
> 			     (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
> 		   %desktop-services))

It looks like you're using "config =>" from the modify-services syntax
without actually using modify-services.  Try this instead:

  (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
                            (gnome-desktop-configuration
                              (inherit config)
                              (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
                   %desktop-services))

This should create and add a gnome-desktop-service-type service instance
with the configuration you've specified.

Hope that helps!

--
Chris

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-24  6:01       ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-24  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Guix-devel

Chris Marusich writes:

> Hi Brett,
>
> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> writes:
>
>> (define-public gnome-custom
>>   (package (inherit gnome)
>>     (name "gnome-custom")
>>     (inputs (alist-delete "nautilus" (package-inputs gnome)))))
>
> The spirit of this is correct, but the implementation isn't quite
> right.  The gnome package has no inputs:
>
>   scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (gnu packages gnome)
>   scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (guix packages)
>   scheme@(guile-user)> (package-inputs gnome)
>   $1 = ()
>
> Instead, it has many propagated inputs.  So, you should probably write:
>
>   (define-public gnome-custom
>     (package (inherit gnome)
>       (name "gnome-custom")
>       (propagated-inputs (alist-delete
>                            "nautilus"
>                            (package-propagated-inputs gnome)))))
>
> This will work as you expect.  It's not incorrect to use alist-delete
> here, but FYI you can also use matching to do this as follows:
>
>   (define-public gnome-custom
>     (package (inherit gnome)
>       (name "gnome-custom")
>       (propagated-inputs (remove
>                            (match-lambda
>                              ;; Ignore the second value.
>                              ((name _)
>                               (string=? name "nautilus")))
>                            (package-propagated-inputs gnome)))))
>
> Whether or not you like that better probably depends on whether or not
> you view the value returned by (package-propagated-inputs gnome) as an
> alist or a list of 2-element lists.
>
>> (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
>> 			    config =>
>> 			    (gnome-desktop-configuration
>> 			     (inherit config)
>> 			     (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
>> 		   %desktop-services))
>
> It looks like you're using "config =>" from the modify-services syntax
> without actually using modify-services.  Try this instead:
>
>   (services (cons* (service gnome-desktop-service-type
>                             (gnome-desktop-configuration
>                               (inherit config)
>                               (gnome-package gnome-custom)))
>                    %desktop-services))
>
> This should create and add a gnome-desktop-service-type service instance
> with the configuration you've specified.
>
> Hope that helps!

Hi chris! Thank you for your feedback, and your insight. I appreciate it
greatly. I have applied your changes (Both variations) and neither one
seems to be working and nautilus remains on the system. I am honestly at
a loss of what is wrong with the approach.

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-24 13:06 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-10-24 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brett Gilio; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> skribis:

> I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
> installed with the gnome-desktop-service.

On this topic, don’t miss Chris’s excellent tutorial:

  https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/customize-guixsd-use-stock-ssh-agent-everywhere/

:-)

Ludo’.

* Re: Package variation
@ 2018-10-24 21:02   ` Brett Gilio
From: Brett Gilio @ 2018-10-24 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> skribis:
>
>> I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
>> installed with the gnome-desktop-service.
>
> On this topic, don’t miss Chris’s excellent tutorial:
>
>   https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/customize-guixsd-use-stock-ssh-agent-everywhere/
>
> :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Thank you for the feedback Ludo. I read the article and made some
customizations, but something about setting the gnome-custom package is
still resulting in the regular gnome meta-package being used. I did some
interactive debugging using Guile, and it seems like nautilus is being
successfully removed, which is why my suspicion is on the package
setting being invalid. I've also tried a myriad of different ways of
setting the gnome-custom package, none of which seem to be resulting in
nautilus being removed. This isn't about "nautilus" per-say, but rather
being able to customize how gnome is used on my system.

Here is my current config.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix packages) (srfi srfi-1) (ice-9 match))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(define-public gnome-custom
    (package (inherit gnome)