unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net>
To: "Ludovic Courtès" <ludo@gnu.org>
Cc: Guix-devel <guix-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Package variation
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 16:02:02 -0500	[thread overview]

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hi!
>
> Brett Gilio <brettg@posteo.net> skribis:
>
>> I am trying to customize my the default gnome-package which gets
>> installed with the gnome-desktop-service.
>
> On this topic, don’t miss Chris’s excellent tutorial:
>
>   https://gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2018/customize-guixsd-use-stock-ssh-agent-everywhere/
>
> :-)
>
> Ludo’.

Thank you for the feedback Ludo. I read the article and made some
customizations, but something about setting the gnome-custom package is
still resulting in the regular gnome meta-package being used. I did some
interactive debugging using Guile, and it seems like nautilus is being
successfully removed, which is why my suspicion is on the package
setting being invalid. I've also tried a myriad of different ways of
setting the gnome-custom package, none of which seem to be resulting in
nautilus being removed. This isn't about "nautilus" per-say, but rather
being able to customize how gnome is used on my system.

Here is my current config.

(use-modules (gnu) (gnu system nss) (guix packages) (srfi srfi-1) (ice-9 match))
(use-service-modules desktop)
(use-package-modules certs gnome)

(define-public gnome-custom
    (package (inherit gnome)