unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* haskell changes
@ 2019-08-16 17:57 Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2019-08-16 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi,

I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
on wip-haskell-updates.

I’ve tested them locally to the extent I managed; is CI broken or did I break
something there? http://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/wip-haskell-updates

Changes are:
1. move libraries out of haskell.scm (mostly into haskell-xyz.scm, those
without ghc- prefix into haskell-apps.scm), as per
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-07/msg00070.html
(I’m happy to remove haskell-apps also as suggested there, would you prefer
I do that right away?)
2. apply John Soo’s patches to add hoogle (#36545)
3. apply my patch to add the elm compiler (#36665)

Cheers
Robert

* Re: haskell changes
@ 2019-08-16 18:07 ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-08-16 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Vollmert; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Robert,

> I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
> on wip-haskell-updates.
>
> I’ve tested them locally to the extent I managed; is CI broken or did I break
> something there? http://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/wip-haskell-updates

These errors usually mean that Cuirass didn’t even get to compute the
evaluation.  Have you tried compiling your branch locally to see if
perhaps there’s an obstacle to compiling Guix?

(I can check the Cuirass logs later.)

--
Ricardo

* Re: haskell changes
@ 2019-08-16 18:14   ` Robert Vollmert
From: Robert Vollmert @ 2019-08-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> On 16. Aug 2019, at 20:07, Ricardo Wurmus <rekado@elephly.net> wrote:
>
>> I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
>> on wip-haskell-updates.
>>
>> I’ve tested them locally to the extent I managed; is CI broken or did I break
>> something there? http://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/wip-haskell-updates
>
> These errors usually mean that Cuirass didn’t even get to compute the
> evaluation.  Have you tried compiling your branch locally to see if
> perhaps there’s an obstacle to compiling Guix?

thanks for the pointer, I will try a clean build now. I did build locally in
the sense of calling “make”, but it’s possible that I missed some missing
imports — I sometimes get warnings about unresolved variable names that
don’t cause the build to fail, though trying to `guix build` the corresponding
package later does fail.

Is there some `guix build` invocation I could call to build whatever `guix pull`
would build? I imagine that might be where cuirass is failing now?

While running the clean make, I got the following warnings I remember seeing
before — might these be the root of the problem? In that case I’ll see if I’m
too far behind master.

[ 11%] LOAD     guix/scripts/archive.scm
WARNING: (guix scripts archive): `error-source' imported from both (gcrypt common) and (gcrypt pk-crypto)
WARNING: (guix scripts archive): `error-string' imported from both (gcrypt common) and (gcrypt pk-crypto)

Cheers
Robert

* Re: haskell changes
@ 2019-08-16 20:16 ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-08-16 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Vollmert; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Robert,

Robert Vollmert <rob@vllmrt.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
> on wip-haskell-updates.

Sounds good.  I’ll take a look at that branch soon.

> I’ve tested them locally to the extent I managed; is CI broken or did I break
> something there? http://ci.guix.gnu.org/jobset/wip-haskell-updates
>
> Changes are:
> 1. move libraries out of haskell.scm (mostly into haskell-xyz.scm, those
> without ghc- prefix into haskell-apps.scm), as per
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-07/msg00070.html
> (I’m happy to remove haskell-apps also as suggested there, would you prefer
> I do that right away?)

I think we should keep it until we hear from Ludovic about it.  It’s
probably an important optimization of the module dependency graph.

> 2. apply John Soo’s patches to add hoogle (#36545)
> 3. apply my patch to add the elm compiler (#36665)

Thanks!

-- Tim

* Re: haskell changes
@ 2019-08-19  1:09   ` Timothy Sample
From: Timothy Sample @ 2019-08-19  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Vollmert; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Robert,

Timothy Sample <samplet@ngyro.com> writes:

> Robert Vollmert <rob@vllmrt.net> writes:
>
>> I have some Haskell-related changes ready for review and ideally merge
>> on wip-haskell-updates.
>
> Sounds good.  I’ll take a look at that branch soon.
>
>> Changes are:
>> 1. move libraries out of haskell.scm (mostly into haskell-xyz.scm, those
>> without ghc- prefix into haskell-apps.scm), as per
>> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-07/msg00070.html

There’s a bit too much going on this commit.  Would it be possible to
make the first commit do nothing but delete packages from “haskell.scm”
and move them to the “apps”, “check”, and “xyz” modules, and update the
module references?  Then, you can have another commit to move the SDL
packages from “apps” to “xyz”, and another for the module commentaries.
This way, it will be a lot easier to see what’s going on.

Also, it looks like you’ve reordered some packages in “haskell-xyz” in
this commit, too.  I agree with Ricardo that it’s probably best to leave
the ordering alone, but if it needs to be done, it should be it’s own
commit.

About the commit message, you don’t need to write each variable name out
twice.  You can group all the files that have updated module references,
too.  See commit 0791437f972caa7e48de91ad5cb150a614f617c2 for Ricardo’s
message when moving the Guile packages into “guile-xyz”.  I don’t think
you need the “[A]s discussed on guix-devel” part, but if you want to
keep it, you should provide a link to the discussion.

I know last time I made a lot of fixes myself, but I’m hoping this
feedback is useful for getting a better feel for Guix’s conventions.
Let me know if you feel differently.  :)

-- Tim