unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
@ 2020-02-18 14:58 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-02-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi!

Some packages are frequently without substitutes, like Racket and MAME.
Link between the two?  They both take a long time to build.  So I wonder
if this is not because the build somehow timeouts.

I see that there is a `timeout' property on packages like chromium,
qtwebkit, etc.

Would it make sense to add, say, a 6-hour timeout to the offending packages?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
@ 2020-03-02 11:50 ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-02 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Friendly ping! :)

--

@ 2020-03-02 17:29 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-03-02 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 03:58:19PM +0100, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Some packages are frequently without substitutes, like Racket and MAME.
> Link between the two?  They both take a long time to build.  So I wonder
> if this is not because the build somehow timeouts.

The logs of the failing builds should say if the failure was caused by
timeout or exceeding the maximum "silent time" (time without any output
from the build).

* Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
@ 2020-03-03  9:42   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:

> The logs of the failing builds should say if the failure was caused by
> timeout or exceeding the maximum "silent time" (time without any output
> from the build).

If I look at failed builds for Racket or MAME, I get this:

http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2290964/details
http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2293173/details

It says

Status	Failed (dependency)

and does not have any logs.
Something is fishy.

--

@ 2020-03-03 13:48     ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-03-03 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Leo Famulari

Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt 写道:
> Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> writes:
>
>> The logs of the failing builds should say if the failure was
>> caused by
>> timeout or exceeding the maximum "silent time" (time without
>> any output
>> from the build).
>
> If I look at failed builds for Racket or MAME, I get this:
>
> http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2290964/details
> http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2293173/details
>
> It says
>
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------start------------->8---
> Status	Failed (dependency)
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---

Cuirass should link to the failing dependencies for further
inspection, but doesn't (yet?).  You have to guess.  It's fun.

> and does not have any logs.

Since these builds were never attempted, they never produced any
logs.  I think that's the correct approach.

This is also why blindly raising time-outs for these packages
isn't the solution: there's nothing to time out.

> Something is fishy.

Not fishy, just -ETODO.

Kind regards,

T G-R

@ 2020-03-03 14:09       ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-03 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> Cuirass should link to the failing dependencies for further
> inspection, but doesn't (yet?).  You have to guess.  It's fun.

Hmmm, not easy considering it builds on my machine :p

> Since these builds were never attempted, they never produced any
> logs.  I think that's the correct approach.

Makes sense.

--

@ 2020-03-03 14:35       ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2020-03-03 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: Leo Famulari

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice 写道:
> Since these builds were never attempted, they never produced any
> logs.

Not the same architecture, but here's a staging MAME that was
built and killed without explanation after a non-magical-looking
number of seconds:

http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2337230/details

I don't understand.  There has to be a better way to query Cuirass
than endlessly clicking ‘Next’…  :-/

@ 2020-03-03 17:01         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2020-03-03 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Tobias,

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> ezt írta (időpont: 2020. márc. 3., Ke
15:35):

> Tobias Geerinckx-Rice 写道:
> > Since these builds were never attempted, they never produced any
> > logs.
>
> Not the same architecture, but here's a staging MAME that was
> built and killed without explanation after a non-magical-looking
> number of seconds:
>
> http://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/2337230/details
>
> I don't understand.  There has to be a better way to query Cuirass
> than endlessly clicking ‘Next’…  :-

You can try to get failing dependency information from the guix data
service. Last time I checked that did work. It should list all the failed
dependencies that failed directly.

@ 2020-03-04 14:17           ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-04 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits, Tobias Geerinckx-Rice; +Cc: Guix-devel

Do you have an example link?

For me:

http://data.guix.gnu.org/repository/1/branch/master/package/mame

and

http://data.guix.gnu.org/revision/1d9b4664e30ce3f79606bf1167a2fca9bf4abba2/package/mame/0.218

only shows "unknown" build status.

--

@ 2020-03-12 13:26 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-03-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:

> Some packages are frequently without substitutes, like Racket and MAME.
> Link between the two?  They both take a long time to build.  So I wonder
> if this is not because the build somehow timeouts.
>
> I see that there is a `timeout' property on packages like chromium,
> qtwebkit, etc.

Few people know that this property has absolutely no effect.  :-)

It used to be that Hydra would honor it.  But Cuirass has never honored it.

It’s not clear to me whether Cuirass should honor it, in fact.

At the Guix level, timeouts are per session: you set them for all your
session with ‘set-build-options’.  So if you want them per-derivation,
you basically need to create one session per derivation build; that’s
what Hydra did.

But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.

* Re: Missing substitutes and TIMEOUT property (Racket, MAME)
@ 2020-03-12 13:45   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2020-03-12 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
> to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
> rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.

This makes sense, but for now it seems that it's hard to know whether
the build failed because of a timeout or something else.
I suppose some improvements should be done on the Cuirass / Data service
fronts.

If we confirm that timeouts really cause the issue, then I suppose the Berlin
admin can increase the timeout so that the offending packages build.

Thoughts?

--

@ 2020-03-15 16:52   ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2020-03-15 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: guix-devel

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi!
>
> Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> skribis:
>
>> Some packages are frequently without substitutes, like Racket and MAME.
>> Link between the two?  They both take a long time to build.  So I wonder
>> if this is not because the build somehow timeouts.
>>
>> I see that there is a `timeout' property on packages like chromium,
>> qtwebkit, etc.
>
> Few people know that this property has absolutely no effect.  :-)
>
> It used to be that Hydra would honor it.  But Cuirass has never honored it.
>
> It’s not clear to me whether Cuirass should honor it, in fact.
>
> At the Guix level, timeouts are per session: you set them for all your
> session with ‘set-build-options’.  So if you want them per-derivation,
> you basically need to create one session per derivation build; that’s
> what Hydra did.
>
> But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
> to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
> rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.

Maybe we could create a separate jobset for the jobs that require a
longer max-silent-time, IIUC?

@ 2020-03-15 21:41     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2020-03-15 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

Marius Bakke <mbakke@fastmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

[...]

>> At the Guix level, timeouts are per session: you set them for all your
>> session with ‘set-build-options’.  So if you want them per-derivation,
>> you basically need to create one session per derivation build; that’s
>> what Hydra did.
>>
>> But there’s a good reason for it to be per-session: the admin may want
>> to be in control of those parameters.  For example, on berlin, we’d
>> rather make sure machines don’t stay idle for too long.
>
> Maybe we could create a separate jobset for the jobs that require a
> longer max-silent-time, IIUC?

Not really, because Cuirass does not use per-jobset sessions.

So really, we’d have to change the timeouts globally for guix-daemon, or
for all of Cuirass.

Perhaps we should start by creating a list of affected package/system
pairs, and from there we could make a more informed decisions.

Thoughts?

Ludo’.