unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* How to answer all people in a thread?
@ 2024-01-04  7:27 Christian Miller
From: Christian Miller @ 2024-01-04  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello,

I created this thread[0].  Now instead of answering each individual
person, I want to answer all to say thanks.  The structure would
probably look like this in that case.

    Questions about packages because of license and other, Christian Miller <=
        Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Andreas Enge, 2023/12/06
        Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Felix Lechner, 2023/12/06
        Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Ada Stevenson, 2023/12/07
    Questions about packages because of license and other, Christian Miller, 2024/01/04

Would I just write to "guix-devel@gnu.org" with the subject "Questions
about packages because of license and other" and Cc all people?

I use Emacs Rmail if anyone uses the same tool as well.

[0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00022.html
--
Christian Miller

* Re: How to answer all people in a thread?
@ 2024-01-04 10:44 ` Tomas Volf
From: Tomas Volf @ 2024-01-04 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Miller; +Cc: guix-devel

On 2024-01-04 08:27:53 +0100, Christian Miller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I created this thread[0].  Now instead of answering each individual
> person, I want to answer all to say thanks.  The structure would
> probably look like this in that case.
>

>     Questions about packages because of license and other, Christian Miller <=
>         Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Andreas Enge, 2023/12/06
>         Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Felix Lechner, 2023/12/06
>         Re: Questions about packages because of license and other, Ada Stevenson, 2023/12/07
>     Questions about packages because of license and other, Christian Miller, 2024/01/04
>
> Would I just write to "guix-devel@gnu.org" with the subject "Questions
> about packages because of license and other" and Cc all people?

I do not think creating a new, completely separate thread is ideal.  I would, in your place, just respond to my own top-level message

>     Questions about packages because of license and other, Christian Miller <=

thanking all the people in it.  That would create Re: ..., properly putting it
into the (already existing) thread.

There might however be a different custom over here, so I am looking forward to
what other people have to say about this.

> I use Emacs Rmail if anyone uses the same tool as well.
>
> [0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2023-12/msg00022.html
> --
> Christian Miller

Have a nice day,
Tomas Volf

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to answer all people in a thread?
@ 2024-01-04 15:43   ` Yarl via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.
From: Yarl via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution. @ 2024-01-04 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I think 'In-Reply-To' and 'References' headers are important.

* Re: How to answer all people in a thread?
@ 2024-01-04 15:47     ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-01-04 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yarl via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.; +Cc: Yarl

Hi,

<guix-devel@gnu.org> writes:

> I think 'In-Reply-To' and 'References' headers are important.

The safest/best way is to use 'reply all'; this preserves filtering
using Return-Path working as expected for the recipients.

Maxim

From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-01-04 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yarl via Development of GNU Guix and the GNU System distribution.; +Cc: Yarl

Hi,

@ 2024-01-14 13:11 ` Christian Miller
From: Christian Miller @ 2024-01-14 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Miller; +Cc: guix-devel

Let's see if this works.  Does everyone get an email?

--

@ 2024-01-23 15:20   ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2024-01-23 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Miller; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Christian,

Christian Miller <christian.miller@dadoes.de> writes:

> Let's see if this works.  Does everyone get an email?

Ack.  I use 'S W' in Gnus, which is the shortcut to send a wide reply
(it CCs everyone from the message being wide replied to).

Maxim