unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-14 19:48 Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-14 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hi,

I've built python-matplotlib with the patched gobject-introspection
and it appears to have achieved the desired goal: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
not required anymore at run time.

To achieve that I updated gtk+ and atk. The version currently in
master of those packages failed with an error which looked identical
to the one produced by eudev. An update was enough to fix the problem.
However, it is likely that a fix similar to the one I used for eudev
would have worked as well.

At this point I would welcome the offer made several weeks ago to make
hydra build the branch to get feedback. Alternatively, if for some
reason that is not desirable anymore, we could merge the branch into
master and see how it goes.

Thanks for your feedback,
Fede

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-14 20:51 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-14 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> I've built python-matplotlib with the patched gobject-introspection
> and it appears to have achieved the desired goal: LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
> not required anymore at run time.
>
> To achieve that I updated gtk+ and atk. The version currently in
> master of those packages failed with an error which looked identical
> to the one produced by eudev. An update was enough to fix the problem.
> However, it is likely that a fix similar to the one I used for eudev
> would have worked as well.

Excellent!

> At this point I would welcome the offer made several weeks ago to make
> hydra build the branch to get feedback. Alternatively, if for some
> reason that is not desirable anymore, we could merge the branch into
> master and see how it goes.

Given that core-updates will soon be fully built (hopefully within 24h)
and ready to be merged, I would prefer to wait until that is done, and
then rebase wip-gobject-introspection on it and get it built.

How does that sound?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-15  8:12   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-15  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
> Given that core-updates will soon be fully built (hopefully within 24h)
> and ready to be merged, I would prefer to wait until that is done, and
> then rebase wip-gobject-introspection on it and get it built.
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds good to me. Just be warned that there may be other packages to
update/adjust.

Regards,

@ 2015-01-16 20:33     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> skribis:

> On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM, Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Given that core-updates will soon be fully built (hopefully within 24h)
>> and ready to be merged, I would prefer to wait until that is done, and
>> then rebase wip-gobject-introspection on it and get it built.
>>
>> How does that sound?
>
> Sounds good to me. Just be warned that there may be other packages to
> update/adjust.

It will start building shortly:

  http://hydra.gnu.org/jobset/gnu/wip-gobject-introspection

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-17 17:32     ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-01-17 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Federico,

Thanks for your work on 'wip-gobject-introspection'.

At this point, it would be good to rebase (not merge) the
'wip-gobject-introspection' branch on current master.  Presently, the
branch is based on master before core-updates was merged, which means a
considerably different core system than what we currently have.

Note that since 'udev' was removed completely in core-updates, and now
'eudev' is its own package that doesn't inherit from, your 'eudev'
commits will have to be manually adjusted.

    Thanks!
      Mark

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-17 18:57       ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-17 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
> At this point, it would be good to rebase (not merge) the
> 'wip-gobject-introspection' branch on current master.  Presently, the
> branch is based on master before core-updates was merged, which means a
> considerably different core system than what we currently have.

I would like to double check if I'm the only one having done any
commits to wip-gobject-introspection branch (even local, not pushed
ones.  This is because the git manual warns people away from rebasing
branches which have been made public and on which somebody else has
done some work. So, I would like to make sure I don't mess up with
anyone.

If I understand correctly this is the command I would issue from the
wip-gobject-introspection branch:

git rebase master

> Note that since 'udev' was removed completely in core-updates, and now
> 'eudev' is its own package that doesn't inherit from, your 'eudev'
> commits will have to be manually adjusted.

OK

I've also noticed that xorg-server failed to pass a test on hydra. I'm
surprised because on my x86_64 machine everything goes smooth.  Maybe
the rebase will help as I see that master has a newer xorg-server
version.

@ 2015-01-17 21:38         ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-01-17 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> writes:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
>> At this point, it would be good to rebase (not merge) the
>> 'wip-gobject-introspection' branch on current master.  Presently, the
>> branch is based on master before core-updates was merged, which means a
>> considerably different core system than what we currently have.
>
> I would like to double check if I'm the only one having done any
> commits to wip-gobject-introspection branch (even local, not pushed
> ones.  This is because the git manual warns people away from rebasing
> branches which have been made public and on which somebody else has
> done some work. So, I would like to make sure I don't mess up with
> anyone.

You're right to be wary of rebasing public branches, but I think it's
okay with short-lived experimental branches like this.  If it turns out
that someone else has done work on it, the situation is easily remedied.

> If I understand correctly this is the command I would issue from the
> wip-gobject-introspection branch:
>
> git rebase master

Yes.  It will need help rebasing your 'eudev' commits.  As with 'git
merge', it will insert merge conflict markers which you must fix up
yourself.  Then 'git add <files>' and 'git rebase --continue'.

Then, after some testing, it would be good to push it to savannah.
Because of the rebase, you'll have to delete the branch on savannah and
then remake it, as follows:

  git push origin :wip-gobject-introspection  # delete it on savannah
  git push origin wip-gobject-introspection   # push the new one

    Thanks!
      Mark

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-17 22:51           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-17 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel, Federico Beffa

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

> You're right to be wary of rebasing public branches, but I think it's
> okay with short-lived experimental branches like this.  If it turns out
> that someone else has done work on it, the situation is easily remedied.

Agreed.  There’s the unwritten rule inherited from Guile that a branch
prefixed with “wip-” may be rebased.

Ludo’.

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-18  9:44           ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-18  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 10:38 PM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> writes:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 6:32 PM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
>>> At this point, it would be good to rebase (not merge) the
>>> 'wip-gobject-introspection' branch on current master.  Presently, the
>>> branch is based on master before core-updates was merged, which means a
>>> considerably different core system than what we currently have.
>>
>> I would like to double check if I'm the only one having done any
>> commits to wip-gobject-introspection branch (even local, not pushed
>> ones.  This is because the git manual warns people away from rebasing
>> branches which have been made public and on which somebody else has
>> done some work. So, I would like to make sure I don't mess up with
>> anyone.
>
> You're right to be wary of rebasing public branches, but I think it's
> okay with short-lived experimental branches like this.  If it turns out
> that someone else has done work on it, the situation is easily remedied.
>
>> If I understand correctly this is the command I would issue from the
>> wip-gobject-introspection branch:
>>
>> git rebase master
>
> Yes.  It will need help rebasing your 'eudev' commits.  As with 'git
> merge', it will insert merge conflict markers which you must fix up
> yourself.  Then 'git add <files>' and 'git rebase --continue'.
>
> Then, after some testing, it would be good to push it to savannah.
> Because of the rebase, you'll have to delete the branch on savannah and
> then remake it, as follows:
>
>   git push origin :wip-gobject-introspection  # delete it on savannah
>   git push origin wip-gobject-introspection   # push the new one

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

@ 2015-01-18 17:26             ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-18 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM, Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> [...]

[...]

>>> If I understand correctly this is the command I would issue from the
>>> wip-gobject-introspection branch:
>>>
>>> git rebase master
>>
>> Yes.  It will need help rebasing your 'eudev' commits.  As with 'git
>> merge', it will insert merge conflict markers which you must fix up
>> yourself.  Then 'git add <files>' and 'git rebase --continue'.
>>
>> Then, after some testing, it would be good to push it to savannah.
>> Because of the rebase, you'll have to delete the branch on savannah and
>> then remake it, as follows:
>>
>>   git push origin :wip-gobject-introspection  # delete it on savannah
>>   git push origin wip-gobject-introspection   # push the new one

I've rebased the branch, checked that eudev builds fine after
adjusting it and re-created the branch on savannah.

@ 2015-01-18 18:03         ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-18 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sat, Jan 17, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> I've also noticed that xorg-server failed to pass a test on hydra. I'm
> surprised because on my x86_64 machine everything goes smooth.  Maybe
> the rebase will help as I see that master has a newer xorg-server
> version.

After rebasing the branch I've re-built xorg-server locally and seen
the same test failure that occurred on hydra. I thought: "Good, now I
have a way to investigate" and rebuilt with "--keep-failed" and ...
the test passed!
I then rebuilt a couple of times the package and it appears that some
tests (not always the same and not always) fail randomly. Any thought?

@ 2015-01-18 18:45           ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-18 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Sun, Jan 18, 2015 at 7:03 PM, Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> wrote:
> After rebasing the branch I've re-built xorg-server locally and seen
> the same test failure that occurred on hydra. I thought: "Good, now I
> have a way to investigate" and rebuilt with "--keep-failed" and ...
> the test passed!
> I then rebuilt a couple of times the package and it appears that some
> tests (not always the same and not always) fail randomly. Any thought?

It appears that disabling parallel tests solves the issue.

@ 2015-01-25 18:22             ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

I think that the wip-gobject-introspection branch is ready for
integration into master.

WDYT?

@ 2015-01-25 23:42               ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-01-25 23:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> writes:
> I think that the wip-gobject-introspection branch is ready for
> integration into master.

Sounds good to me.  Ludovic?

     Mark

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-26  2:26                 ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2015-01-26  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> writes:

> Federico Beffa <beffa@ieee.org> writes:
>> I think that the wip-gobject-introspection branch is ready for
>> integration into master.
>
> Sounds good to me.  Ludovic?

I went ahead and merged this to master.

      Mark

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-26  8:11                   ` Federico Beffa
From: Federico Beffa @ 2015-01-26  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 3:26 AM, Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> wrote:
> I went ahead and merged this to master.

Thanks!

One question that occurred me: do all patch files belong in
gnu-system.am? If that's the case I have to add the two
'gobject-introspection' patches that I added to that file.

@ 2015-01-26  9:18                     ` Andreas Enge
From: Andreas Enge @ 2015-01-26  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Federico Beffa; +Cc: Guix-devel

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 09:11:57AM +0100, Federico Beffa wrote:
> One question that occurred me: do all patch files belong in
> gnu-system.am? If that's the case I have to add the two
> 'gobject-introspection' patches that I added to that file.

Yes, they need to be added, to become part of the distribution.

Andreas

* Re: wip-gobject-introspection
@ 2015-01-26 20:20               ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2015-01-26 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)