unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
       [not found]       ` <87367nydku.fsf@dustycloud.org>
@ 2020-05-26 17:27         ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-05-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

[moving from help-guix to guix-devel]

On help-guix this exchange occured when discussing trying to install
Vanilla Firefox... two things struck me:

 - Firefox's source code is itself free, but it doesn't follow the FSDG
   (An assertion was made that Firefox was itself nonfree software,
   but this seems like an inaccurate characterization.  I agree it
   doesn't follow the FSDG, however.)
 - It is probably possible, with minimal changes, to resolve that.

So this page explains the problem:

  https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines

"Problem: Recommends non-free addons and plugins; automatically downloads cisco's binary h.264 codecs"

I agree the latter is a problem.  The former is kind of maybe a problem,
but mostly because it isn't clear that it's happening to the user.

However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
resolved:

 - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
 - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
   to the same one that Icecat already uses.

Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.

(Yes, I know that IceCat also provides LibreJS and some other plugins,
and that's nice to have, but Guix already ships several other browsers
that do not have those plugins, so this does not seem to be a strict
impediment and I don't think it should be either.  We could change the
default Firefox homepage to point at one that recommends installing some
of these plugins, if that would be helpful.)

 - Chris

* Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
@ 2020-05-26 17:34           ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-05-26 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

(An obvious win from this also being that we will be able to have more
Guix users running, on average, a more up-to-date on security browser
more often.)

@ 2020-05-26 17:45           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2020-05-26 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 01:27:40PM -0400, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> So this page explains the problem:
>
>   https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
>
> "Problem: Recommends non-free addons and plugins; automatically downloads cisco's binary h.264 codecs"
>
> I agree the latter is a problem.  The former is kind of maybe a problem,
> but mostly because it isn't clear that it's happening to the user.
>
> However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
> resolved:
>
>  - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
>  - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
>    to the same one that Icecat already uses.
>
> Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
> It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.

I agree, it would be a good addition.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
@ 2020-05-27  4:33           ` Carlo Zancanaro
From: Carlo Zancanaro @ 2020-05-27  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Lemmer Webber; +Cc: guix-devel

Hey Chris,

On Wed, May 27 2020, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
> resolved:
>
>  - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
>  - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
>    to the same one that Icecat already uses.
>
> Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
> It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.

We would need to watch out for Mozilla's requirements to use the "Firefox" trademark[1]. Of particular note is the section titled "Modified Versions Require Prior Written Permission":

  The open source nature of Firefox and other Mozilla software allows you to freely download and modify the source code. However, if you make any changes to Firefox or other Mozilla software, you may not redistribute that product using any Mozilla trademark without Mozilla’s prior written consent and, typically, a distribution agreement with Mozilla. For example, you may not distribute a modified form of Firefox and continue to call it Firefox.

  Changes requiring Mozilla’s prior written permission include (but are not limited to):
   - Changing the default home page or adding bookmarks,
   - Adding, modifying, or deleting source files,
   - Adding, modifying, or deleting content from installer files,
   - File location changes,
   - Adding extensions, add-ons or plugins, or
   - Installing themes other than those available in the most recent stable version of Firefox available at Mozilla.org.

  If you wish to distribute a modified version of Firefox or other Mozilla software with Mozilla trademarks please contact us with your request at trademark-permissions@mozilla.com.

Carlo

[1]: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/

* Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
@ 2020-05-27 11:53             ` Christopher Lemmer Webber
From: Christopher Lemmer Webber @ 2020-05-27 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlo Zancanaro; +Cc: guix-devel

Carlo Zancanaro writes:

> Hey Chris,
>
> On Wed, May 27 2020, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
>> However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
>> resolved:
>>
>>  - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
>>  - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
>>    to the same one that Icecat already uses.
>>
>> Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
>> It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.
>
> We would need to watch out for Mozilla's requirements to use the
> "Firefox" trademark[1]. Of particular note is the section titled
> "Modified Versions Require Prior Written Permission":
>
>   The open source nature of Firefox and other Mozilla software allows
>   you to freely download and modify the source code. However, if you
>   make any changes to Firefox or other Mozilla software, you may not
>   redistribute that product using any Mozilla trademark without
>   Mozilla’s prior written consent and, typically, a distribution
>   agreement with Mozilla. For example, you may not distribute a
>   modified form of Firefox and continue to call it Firefox.
>
>   Changes requiring Mozilla’s prior written permission include (but are not limited to):
>    - Changing the default home page or adding bookmarks,
>    - Adding, modifying, or deleting source files,
>    - Adding, modifying, or deleting content from installer files,
>    - File location changes,
>    - Adding extensions, add-ons or plugins, or
>    - Installing themes other than those available in the most recent
>      stable version of Firefox available at Mozilla.org.
>
>   If you wish to distribute a modified version of Firefox or other
>   Mozilla software with Mozilla trademarks please contact us with your
>   request at trademark-permissions@mozilla.com.
>
> Carlo
>
> [1]: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/

I agree this is a concern and is in the list of things to address.

I forget, but I remember reading somewhere that Firefox's codebase does
ship in such a way where rebranding it isn't as hard as it used to be,
or that the development version already did have some of this branding
stripped out.

Am I misremembering?
 - Chris