unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Carlo Zancanaro <carlo@zancanaro.id.au>
To: Christopher Lemmer Webber <cwebber@dustycloud.org>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Vanilla Firefox recipe?
Date: Wed, 27 May 2020 14:33:30 +1000	[thread overview]

Hey Chris,

On Wed, May 27 2020, Christopher Lemmer Webber wrote:
> However, I wonder if, with a matter of just two patches, this could be
> resolved:
>
>  - Patch out the automatic download of Cisco's h.264 plugin.
>  - Add a warning banner *above* the extensions page, or simply switch it
>    to the same one that Icecat already uses.
>
> Is that all that's necessary, then, to get "vanilla Firefox" in Guix?
> It strikes me that with those two changes, the criteria would be met.

We would need to watch out for Mozilla's requirements to use the "Firefox" trademark[1]. Of particular note is the section titled "Modified Versions Require Prior Written Permission":

  The open source nature of Firefox and other Mozilla software allows you to freely download and modify the source code. However, if you make any changes to Firefox or other Mozilla software, you may not redistribute that product using any Mozilla trademark without Mozilla’s prior written consent and, typically, a distribution agreement with Mozilla. For example, you may not distribute a modified form of Firefox and continue to call it Firefox.

  Changes requiring Mozilla’s prior written permission include (but are not limited to):
   - Changing the default home page or adding bookmarks,
   - Adding, modifying, or deleting source files,
   - Adding, modifying, or deleting content from installer files,
   - File location changes,
   - Adding extensions, add-ons or plugins, or
   - Installing themes other than those available in the most recent stable version of Firefox available at Mozilla.org.

  If you wish to distribute a modified version of Firefox or other Mozilla software with Mozilla trademarks please contact us with your request at trademark-permissions@mozilla.com.

Carlo

[1]: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/distribution-policy/