unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Add Package FTGL
@ 2013-09-28 15:07 Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant
From: Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant @ 2013-09-28 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

So here's another package expression (attached) -- which is dependent on
glu of the freeglut.scm package, fyi. Everything in the process seems to
build and install, just fine -- but there is a warning when I run
through it, that says:

"WARNING: (gnu packages ftgl): `freetype' imported from both (guix
licenses) and (gnu packages fontutils)"

Seems harmless enough; So when I remove the module fontutils along with
the related freetype input, it complains that it doesn't have freetype
and the build fails.

//

Also, as an expression, I think it would probably be more ideal just to
add this to fontutils.scm --rather than to keep it as a lone-ranger.

-- Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant

[-- Attachment #2: ftgl.scm --]
[-- Type: text/x-scheme, Size: 2438 bytes --]

;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
;;; Copyright © 2013 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>
;;;
;;; This file is part of GNU Guix.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
;;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
;;; the Free Software Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at
;;; your option) any later version.
;;;
;;; GNU Guix is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
;;; WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
;;; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
;;; GNU General Public License for more details.
;;;
;;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
;;; along with GNU Guix.  If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

(define-module (gnu packages ftgl)
   #:use-module (guix licenses)
   #:use-module (guix packages)
   #:use-module (guix download)
   #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
   #:use-module (gnu packages)
   #:use-module (gnu packages xorg)
   #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils) ;;The licenses module calls freetype (and it warns me), but dosen't seem to work without explicitly called as an input.
   #:use-module (gnu packages freeglut))

(define-public ftgl ;Should expression move to fontutils, xorg, or keep here?
  (package
     (name "ftgl")
     (version "2.1.3-rc5")
     (source (origin
	      (method url-fetch)
	      (uri (string-append "mirror://sourceforge/project/ftgl/FTGL%20Source/2.1.3~rc5/ftgl-"
                                   version ".tar.gz"))
              (sha256
	        (base32 "0nsn4s6vnv5xcgxcw6q031amvh2zfj2smy1r5mbnjj2548hxcn2l"))))
         (build-system gnu-build-system)
         (inputs `(("freetype" ,freetype)
                   ("libx11" ,libx11)
                   ("mesa" ,mesa)
                   ("glu" ,glu)))
	 (home-page "http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ftgl/index.php?title=Main_Page")
         (synopsis "A font rendering library for OpenGL applications. ")
         (description
	  "FTGL is a font rendering library for OpenGL applications. Supported rendering modes are:
           Bitmaps, Anti-aliased pixmaps, Texture maps, Outlines, Polygon meshes, and Extruded polygon meshes")
         (license lgpl2.0))) ;Mit or Lgpl at your option, not sure how, or if one can currently dual-license.

* Re: Add Package FTGL
       [not found] <1380381098.864.35.camel@battlestallion>
@ 2013-09-28 15:23 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2013-09-28 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua "Youlysses" S. Grant; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi!

I can’t build it because it depends on freeglut, on your message about
freeglut hasn’t yet reached the mailing list.

So, initial comments inline below:

"Joshua \"Youlysses\" S. Grant" <youlysses@riseup.net> skribis:

> ;;; GNU Guix --- Functional package management for GNU
> ;;; Copyright © 2013 Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org>

This is wrong.  :-)

> (define-module (gnu packages ftgl)
>    #:use-module (guix licenses)
>    #:use-module (guix packages)
>    #:use-module (guix download)
>    #:use-module (guix build-system gnu)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages xorg)
>    #:use-module (gnu packages fontutils) ;;The licenses module calls freetype (and it warns me), but dosen't seem to work without explicitly called as an input.

To address that, use a #:renamer (to rename one of the conflicting
bindings) or #:select (to select the one you want).  Grep the other
packages for examples.

> (define-public ftgl ;Should expression move to fontutils, xorg, or keep here?

Or maybe we could have gl.scm, which would contain freeglut, glu, ftgl,
and all that?

http://ftgl.sourceforge.net maybe?

>          (synopsis "A font rendering library for OpenGL applications. ")

Rather: “Font rendering library for OpenGL applications” (that is: no
“A”, and no period.)

>          (description
> 	  "FTGL is a font rendering library for OpenGL applications. Supported rendering modes are:
>            Bitmaps, Anti-aliased pixmaps, Texture maps, Outlines, Polygon meshes, and Extruded polygon meshes")
>          (license lgpl2.0))) ;Mit or Lgpl at your option, not sure how, or if one can currently dual-license.

If it’s LGPL version 2.0 *or later*, make sure to use ‘lgpl2.0+’.

Overall this looks like a good start!  Indentation is wrong: please
check ‘Coding Style’ in the ‘HACKING’ file and/or existing package
definitions in the other files.

Thanks!

Ludo’.