unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3
@ 2019-05-31 13:41 Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-05-31 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ganeti, guix-devel

Hello,

I am happy to announce a new version of 'instance-guix', a Ganeti OS
provider that creates Guix systems.  It is a <100 line shell script.

This is a complete rewrite over 0.2 that adjusts for the new 'guix pull'
interface in recent versions of Guix.  Passing a configuration file is
now also optional: if no configuration is provided a default one will be
used.

Tarballs can be downloaded from here:
<https://github.com/mbakke/ganeti-instance-guix/releases>.

Guix is a functional package manager that can be installed on any
GNU/Linux distribution, and offers a declarative operating system
interface.  Ganeti is an API-driven clustered virtual machine manager
with strong consistency guarantees.  Together they form a very powerful
abstraction for building infrastructure with code.

Enjoy,
Marius

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3
@ 2019-06-07 20:17 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-06-07 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Bakke; +Cc: guix-devel, ganeti

Hi Marius,

Marius Bakke <marius@devup.no> skribis:

> I am happy to announce a new version of 'instance-guix', a Ganeti OS
> provider that creates Guix systems.  It is a <100 line shell script.

Congrats!

> Guix is a functional package manager that can be installed on any
> GNU/Linux distribution, and offers a declarative operating system
> interface.  Ganeti is an API-driven clustered virtual machine manager
> with strong consistency guarantees.  Together they form a very powerful
> abstraction for building infrastructure with code.

I think you should write a blog article about the use cases and how this
fits together, for someone not familiar with Ganeti (like me!) or with
Guix.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3
@ 2019-06-08  7:23   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-06-08  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel; +Cc: ganeti, Marius Bakke

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> Guix is a functional package manager that can be installed on any
>> GNU/Linux distribution, and offers a declarative operating system
>> interface.  Ganeti is an API-driven clustered virtual machine manager
>> with strong consistency guarantees.  Together they form a very powerful
>> abstraction for building infrastructure with code.
>
> I think you should write a blog article about the use cases and how this
> fits together, for someone not familiar with Ganeti (like me!) or with
> Guix.

Oh yes, this sounds like a good idea.  I’d love to read more about
this.

I’m not familiar with Ganeti, but it looks like it would simplify our
complicated VM management setup that cobbles together DRBD, libvirt,
etc.

Thanks for sharing!

--
Ricardo

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] ganeti-instance-guix 0.3
@ 2019-06-08 21:40     ` Marius Bakke
From: Marius Bakke @ 2019-06-08 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, guix-devel