unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 13:27 John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2016-09-22 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
appeared in the archives.

Is there a problem somewhere?

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encrypted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 14:00 ` James Richardson
From: James Richardson @ 2016-09-22 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

John Darrington writes:

> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
> appeared in the archives.

I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 15:40   ` Aljosha Papsch
From: Aljosha Papsch @ 2016-09-22 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Richardson, guix-devel

On 22.09.2016 16:00, James Richardson wrote:
> John Darrington writes:
>
>> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
>> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
>> appeared in the archives.
>>
> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.

https://savannah.gnu.org/maintenance/MailSystem/ says archives are
updated every 30 minutes, albeit with a (?) beside it... Might be worth
opening a ticket in the savannah-administration group[1]. I can only
imagine it being an issue of server load. It seems current Savannah VMs
are used to their capacity. A migration to more powerful VMs is in
progress but it's not going to be finished too soon.

[1] https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?group=administration

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 16:54   ` Theodoros Foradis
From: Theodoros Foradis @ 2016-09-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Richardson; +Cc: guix-devel

James Richardson writes:

> John Darrington writes:
>
>> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
>> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
>> appeared in the archives.
>>

> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.

A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent after about
16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the mailing
list. There seems to be some issue.
--
Theodoros Foradis

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 19:16     ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2016-09-22 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodoros Foradis; +Cc: guix-devel

Theodoros Foradis <theodoros.for@openmailbox.org> writes:

> James Richardson writes:
>
>> John Darrington writes:
>>
>>> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
>>> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
>>> appeared in the archives.
>>>

>> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.
>
> A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent after about
> 16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the mailing
> list. There seems to be some issue.

Usually, the first emails to the lists take a little while longer to
appear.  After that things should be faster.

~~ Ricardo

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-22 23:48       ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-09-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:16:55PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
> Theodoros Foradis <theodoros.for@openmailbox.org> writes:
> > James Richardson writes:
> >>
> >> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.
> >
> > A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent after about
> > 16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the mailing
> > list. There seems to be some issue.
>
> Usually, the first emails to the lists take a little while longer to
> appear.  After that things should be faster.

I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam mitigation.
Generally these mailing lists deliver mail more or less instantaneously,
but the first time is slow.

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-23  2:40         ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2016-09-23  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: leo, john; +Cc: guix-devel

John & others,

On 23/09/16 01:48, Leo Famulari wrote:
> I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam mitigation.

I can't speak for the FSF admins, but that[0] is almost certainly the
reason.

On the other hand, I often receive others' mail with delays up to
several hours. I hope this isn't a common experience, and blame my mail
host. They'll soon be replaced with GuixSD.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-23  4:51         ` John Darrington
From: John Darrington @ 2016-09-23  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 07:48:35PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
     On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:16:55PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
     > Theodoros Foradis <theodoros.for@openmailbox.org> writes:
     > > James Richardson writes:
     > >>
     > >> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.
     > >
     > > A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent after about
     > > 16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the mailing
     > > list. There seems to be some issue.
     >
     > Usually, the first emails to the lists take a little while longer to
     > appear.  After that things should be faster.

     I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam mitigation.
     Generally these mailing lists deliver mail more or less instantaneously,
     but the first time is slow.

I don't understand what is meant by "the first time".  Are you saying the first
ever email the list receives is slow, but all subsequent ones are faster - or
are you saying something else?

--

@ 2016-09-23  5:11           ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2016-09-23  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:51:23AM +0200, John Darrington wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 07:48:35PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>      On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:16:55PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>      > Theodoros Foradis <theodoros.for@openmailbox.org> writes:
>      > > James Richardson writes:
>      > >> John Darrington writes:
>      > >>> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes a long time to
>      > >>> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches have not (yet)
>      > >>> appeared in the archives.
>      > >>
>      > >> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in the archives.
>      > >
>      > > A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent after about
>      > > 16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the mailing
>      > > list. There seems to be some issue.
>      >
>      > Usually, the first emails to the lists take a little while longer to
>      > appear.  After that things should be faster.
>
>      I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam mitigation.
>      Generally these mailing lists deliver mail more or less instantaneously,
>      but the first time is slow.
>
> I don't understand what is meant by "the first time".  Are you saying the first
> ever email the list receives is slow, but all subsequent ones are faster - or
> are you saying something else?

The first time that a person sends an email to a given list.

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-23  7:43             ` Aljosha Papsch
From: Aljosha Papsch @ 2016-09-23  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari, John Darrington; +Cc: guix-devel

Am 23. September 2016 07:11:12 MESZ, schrieb Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name>:
>On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 06:51:23AM +0200, John Darrington wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 07:48:35PM -0400, Leo Famulari wrote:
>>      On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 09:16:55PM +0200, Ricardo Wurmus wrote:
>>      > Theodoros Foradis <theodoros.for@openmailbox.org> writes:
>>      > > James Richardson writes:
>>      > >> John Darrington writes:
>>      > >>> A number of people have said that mail to this list takes
>a long time to
>>      > >>> show up.  Today I too have noticed that some of my patches
>have not (yet)
>>      > >>> appeared in the archives.
>>      > >>
>>      > >> I've posted a patch several hours ago, haven't seen it in
>the archives.
>>      > >
>>      > > A couple of days ago, I sent a patch series, which I resent
>after about
>>      > > 16 hours , and only then it appeared duplicate in the
>mailing
>>      > > list. There seems to be some issue.
>>      >
>>      > Usually, the first emails to the lists take a little while
>longer to
>>      > appear.  After that things should be faster.
>>
>>      I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam
>mitigation.
>>      Generally these mailing lists deliver mail more or less
>instantaneously,
>>      but the first time is slow.
>>
>> I don't understand what is meant by "the first time".  Are you saying
>the first
>> ever email the list receives is slow, but all subsequent ones are
>faster - or
>> are you saying something else?
>
>The first time that a person sends an email to a given list.

This doesn't fit with John Darrington who is regularly posting, still experiencing delays. I'd still open that ticket to let Savannah admins give feedback. They are the persons most capable to give feedback here.

* Re: Mail to this list is slow?
@ 2016-09-23 22:48           ` ng0
From: ng0 @ 2016-09-23 22:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, leo, john; +Cc: guix-devel

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <me@tobias.gr> writes:

> [ Unknown signature status ]
> John & others,
>
> On 23/09/16 01:48, Leo Famulari wrote:
>> I had this experience, too. I assume it's some sort of spam mitigation.
>
> I can't speak for the FSF admins, but that[0] is almost certainly the
> reason.
>
> On the other hand, I often receive others' mail with delays up to
> several hours. I hope this isn't a common experience, and blame my mail
> host. They'll soon be replaced with GuixSD.

No, I use an commercial email hoster (just started to drop my own domain
name recently which used runbox already) with lots of resources and
bandwith, and I experience long delays in the last days.