unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-23 17:22 Alex Sassmannshausen
From: Alex Sassmannshausen @ 2014-11-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Hello,

I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
a first draft may help other owners.

You can read my experience at http://glean.eu/guix-gluglug.html.

HTH,

Alex

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-23 18:36 ` David Thompson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: David Thompson @ 2014-11-23 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.sassmannshausen, Guix-devel

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
> standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
> reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
> a first draft may help other owners.
>
> You can read my experience at http://glean.eu/guix-gluglug.html.

Awesome!  The Gluglug X60 was the laptop I tested the Guix 0.7 release
image on.  I didn't document the process, so I'm glad that you are!

--
David Thompson
Web Developer - Free Software Foundation - http://fsf.org

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-25  3:58 ` Jason Self
From: Jason Self @ 2014-11-25  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> wrote ..
> Hello,
>
> I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
> standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
> reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
> a first draft may help other owners.
>
> You can read my experience at http://glean.eu/guix-gluglug.html.
>
> HTH,
>
> Alex

This it great - Thanks! Can you please make it available under an
appropriate Free license [0]?

[0] http://freedomdefined.org/Licenses#Comparison_of_Licenses

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-25  9:56 ` 白熊
From: 白熊 @ 2014-11-25  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alex.sassmannshausen, Guix-devel

On 2014年11月23日 20:22:24 GMT+03:00, Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
>standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
>reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
>a first draft may help other owners.

I hope you can get the wireless working! Especially during Guix install...

If you make progress on this, definitely share as this would be enough for me to purchase the Gluglug X60 to experiment with Guix on it.
--
白熊@相撲道

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-11-25 12:42 ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-25 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Sassmannshausen; +Cc: Guix-devel

Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> skribis:

> I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
> standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
> reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
> a first draft may help other owners.

Nice job!

Do you know what WiFi chipset is included?  If it’s an Atheros thing,
for which we have the free firmware, it shouldn’t be too hard.

Ludo’.

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-25 13:22   ` Amirouche Boubekki
From: Amirouche Boubekki @ 2014-11-25 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel

> Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> skribis:
>
> > I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
> > standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
> > reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
> > a first draft may help other owners.
>
> Nice job!
>
> Do you know what WiFi chipset is included?  If it’s an Atheros thing,
> for which we have the free firmware, it shouldn’t be too hard.

I also have a gluglug x60. I'm doing the installation right now.

The wireless card is showing up in iwconfig and lspci (driver ath9k).
Still, I can't connect using it because wpa_supplicant is missing. So it
will wait that the system is finished installing.

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-11-25 14:40     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-11-25 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Amirouche Boubekki; +Cc: Guix-devel

Amirouche Boubekki <amirouche.boubekki@gmail.com> skribis:

> The wireless card is showing up in iwconfig and lspci (driver ath9k).
> Still, I can't connect using it because wpa_supplicant is missing. So it
> will wait that the system is finished installing.

Indeed.  I’ve just added wpa-supplicant to the image, so that’ll be
doable on the next release.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-12-03  5:00   ` Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2014-12-03  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 白熊; +Cc: Guix-devel

白熊 <guix-devel_gnu.org@sumou.com> writes:

> On 2014年11月23日 20:22:24 GMT+03:00, Alex Sassmannshausen <alex.sassmannshausen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>I received a request for instructions on how to get Guix running as
>>standalone on the Gluglug X60 — my work is ongoing (I haven't
>>reconfigured the Grub BIOS, nor have I got wireless working yet), but
>>a first draft may help other owners.
>
> I hope you can get the wireless working! Especially during Guix install...

I run standalone Guix on my Gluglug X60 with wireless.  All you have to
do is create a wpa_supplicant.conf file containing stanzas like this:

network={
        ssid="my network name"
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        psk="my network password"
}

and then run:

  wpa_supplicant -i wlp2s0 -c /path/to/wpa_supplicant.conf -B
  dhclient wlp2s0

If you have problems connecting to wireless, you can replace the "-B"
with "-d" in the wpa_supplicant command, which will run it in the
foreground with debugging output enabled.

     Regards,
       Mark

* Re: Gluglug X60 Guix howto
@ 2014-12-03 16:48     ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2014-12-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: Guix-devel

Mark H Weaver <mhw@netris.org> skribis:

>   dhclient wlp2s0

Alternately, you should be able to use ‘dhcp-client-service’, which will
pick up all the available network interfaces.

BTW, I’m jealous, because the name of my wifi interface is much less
memorable: wlp0s29u1u2 (probably because it’s an external USB dongle.)

Ludo’.