unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
@ 2017-11-26  0:43 Mark H Weaver
From: Mark H Weaver @ 2017-11-26  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix,

I'd like to propose that we deprecate the practice of simply writing
"Update snapshot" in the summary line of software updates, and instead
consistently write "Update to <version>", as we do for the vast majority
of updates.

This practice seems to have originated with our 'guix-devel' package,
and iirc for a long time that was the sole exception to our usual
convention.  However, recently I've seen this practice gradually
spreading to other packages, e.g. gcl, kodi, xf86-video-intel, cuirass,
guile2.2-ssh, etc.  I've CC'd the few Guix developers who have started
doing this.

In my opinion, the version number is a very useful piece of information
to see for update commits when browsing the commit history.  I regard
the practice of omitting the version number to be a slowly creeping
regression in our otherwise exceptionally good conventions for commit
logs.  I humbly propose that we nip this regression in the bud.

What do you think?

      Mark

* Re: Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
@ 2017-11-26  1:21       ` Kei Kebreau
From: Kei Kebreau @ 2017-11-26  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

I thought "Update snapshot." had become customary for updating to
different VCS commits. I am in favor of keeping "Update to <version>."
where <version> is the Guix version string of the package in
question. This practice is especially useful when using "git shortlog"
and related tools.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
@ 2017-11-26 19:03 ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2017-11-26 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H Weaver; +Cc: guix-devel

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 07:43:11PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
> In my opinion, the version number is a very useful piece of information
> to see for update commits when browsing the commit history.  I regard
> the practice of omitting the version number to be a slowly creeping
> regression in our otherwise exceptionally good conventions for commit
> logs.  I humbly propose that we nip this regression in the bud.

I agree that the commit message should always include the new version of
the package being updated.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Please write "Update to <version>" instead of "Update snapshot"
@ 2017-11-26 22:09   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2017-11-26 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Famulari; +Cc: guix-devel

Heya,

Leo Famulari <leo@famulari.name> skribis:

> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 07:43:11PM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
>> In my opinion, the version number is a very useful piece of information
>> to see for update commits when browsing the commit history.  I regard
>> the practice of omitting the version number to be a slowly creeping
>> regression in our otherwise exceptionally good conventions for commit
>> logs.  I humbly propose that we nip this regression in the bud.
>
> I agree that the commit message should always include the new version of
> the package being updated.

I plaid guilty here, but yes, I agree with giving a commit ID in the
summary line when updating the ‘guix’ package and others.

Apologies for the confusion.

Ludo’.