unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Apply Guix patches from debbugs
@ 2019-07-15 10:54 Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-07-15 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel

Question for Emacs users: how do you apply patches directly from the debbugs
interface?

From the summary view, I can press M-m (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch).
It asks me for a directory, I point to guix, and then I get the error

cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable

which after some investigation turns out to be because the command
expects a "lisp" folder (this is made for Emacs development indeed).

There must be some other way then.
I remember doing it in the past, so my memory must be failing me...

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Apply Guix patches from debbugs
@ 2019-07-15 10:56 ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2019-07-15 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt, Guix-devel

On 2019-07-15 12:54, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question for Emacs users: how do you apply patches directly from the debbugs
> interface?
>
>  From the summary view, I can press M-m (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch).
> It asks me for a directory, I point to guix, and then I get the error

> cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
>
> which after some investigation turns out to be because the command
> expects a "lisp" folder (this is made for Emacs development indeed).
>
> There must be some other way then.
> I remember doing it in the past, so my memory must be failing me...

You can ignore that error.
The patches apply fine (silently).

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Apply Guix patches from debbugs
@ 2019-07-15 11:11   ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-07-15 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia, Guix-devel

Indeed it does, thanks for pointing it out! :)

Maybe we should mention this in the manual, and share a wrapper does not
trigger any issue.

While we are at it, is it possible to apply patches of all emails in the
region?
This raises another issue: very often, emails sent by git are not
ordered properly in the Summary, so applying the patches in the region
might fail if order matters.  But then I guess that calling
`gnus-summary-sort-by-subject' is good enough a workaround.

--

@ 2019-07-15 11:58 ` Efraim Flashner
From: Efraim Flashner @ 2019-07-15 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Not exactly the same thing, but I read my mail in mutt and only because
I'm subscribed to the guix-patches maillinglist can I interact with them
nicely.

Does anyone know if it's possible to point mutt at debbugs, or even
specific bugs, as though they were remote mailboxes?

@ 2019-07-19  6:15 ` Chris Marusich
From: Chris Marusich @ 2019-07-19  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Neidhardt; +Cc: Guix-devel

Pierre Neidhardt <mail@ambrevar.xyz> writes:

> Question for Emacs users: how do you apply patches directly from the debbugs
> interface?
>
> From the summary view, I can press M-m (debbugs-gnu-apply-patch).
> It asks me for a directory, I point to guix, and then I get the error
>
> cd: No such directory found via CDPATH environment variable
>
> which after some investigation turns out to be because the command
> expects a "lisp" folder (this is made for Emacs development indeed).
>
> There must be some other way then.
> I remember doing it in the past, so my memory must be failing me...

In Gnus, I press "#" to mark one or more messages with the "process
mark" ((gnus) Other Marks), then I press "|" (gnus-summary-pipe-output),
then I type "(cd ~/guix && git am)" to cd to my Guix checkout and apply
the patches.  This works pretty well for me.

I'm not sure if the parentheses in the "git am" command are required,
but I do it out of habit.  I suppose if I were doing this on a daily
basis, I would create some sort of function or macro to do it all in one
keystroke, but honestly I just type it out when I need to do it, so I
haven't thought about how to make it more automatic.

--
Chris

@ 2019-07-24 17:09   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-07-24 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Marusich; +Cc: Guix-devel

Chris Marusich <cmmarusich@gmail.com> skribis:

> In Gnus, I press "#" to mark one or more messages with the "process
> mark" ((gnus) Other Marks), then I press "|" (gnus-summary-pipe-output),
> then I type "(cd ~/guix && git am)" to cd to my Guix checkout and apply
> the patches.  This works pretty well for me.

Same here!

> I'm not sure if the parentheses in the "git am" command are required,
> but I do it out of habit.  I suppose if I were doing this on a daily
> basis, I would create some sort of function or macro to do it all in one
> keystroke, but honestly I just type it out when I need to do it, so I
> haven't thought about how to make it more automatic.

The parens are not required because Emacs does “sh -c 'what you type…'”.

Ludo’.

* Re: Apply Guix patches from debbugs
@ 2019-07-26 10:15     ` Pierre Neidhardt
From: Pierre Neidhardt @ 2019-07-26 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)