unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
@ 2023-01-02 17:34 jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-02 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

hi guixers,

what am I missing from qutebrowser to render text from sites like wikipedia and g-golf documentation site?

See this screenshot (will expire in a week):

https://up.nixnet.services/j80xqgx7.png

has anyone else run into this issue?

I'm on guix system and I installed qutebrowser via my guix home profile

Does qutebrowser on guix system require me to explicitly install fonts for it?

all best

* Re: What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
@ 2023-01-02 17:35 ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-01-02 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel, jgart

Which fonts do you have installed?

Kind regards,

T G-R

Sent on the go.  Excuse or enjoy my brevity.

* Re: What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
@ 2023-01-02 17:39 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-02 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

> Which fonts do you have installed?

font-google-noto
        font-jetbrains-mono

and whatever comes with gnome and the desktop-services

* Re: What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
@ 2023-01-02 17:48   ` Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice @ 2023-01-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart, guix-devel

Thanks.  Could you try adding a few mainstays, such as Bitstream Vera & DejaVu, and make sure that fc-cache -rv returns no errors?  (Some being ENOENT is fine).

That usually placates IceCat, at least.

@ 2023-01-02 18:08   ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-02 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice, guix-devel

I still get an empty wiki after doing everything you recommended ;()

https://up.nixnet.services/y6p1ynig.png

unwox,

Hi, Do you use qutebrowser on Guix system?

Do you know if you had to do anything extra or special to get text font rendering to work on sites like wikipedia?

* Re: What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
@ 2023-01-03  3:45 ` Zhu Zihao
From: Zhu Zihao @ 2023-01-03  3:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jgart; +Cc: guix-devel

This is a known bug of qtwebengine, it's not related to your font
settings. It's about glibc and the sandbox of qtwebengine.

See here for more detail:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1164975

It's not fixed because the open source support of Qt 5 series is end. Only
commercial support can get the patch(Qt 5.15.8).

If we want to fix this, we may give the KDE's Qt branch a look. AFAIK,
Archlinux use it.

A simple workaround for your problem is: Disable the sandbox.

--
Retrieve my PGP public key:

  gpg --recv-keys B3EBC086AB0EBC0F45E0B4D433DB374BCEE4D9DC

Zihao

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: What's missing from qutebrowser for text rendering?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-01-04  0:55 ` jgart
From: jgart @ 2023-01-04  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhu Zihao; +Cc: guix-devel

Just adding this here as a note to self:

oriansj
jgart: the answer to your qutebrowser problem is a known defect with an easy work around: --qt-arg disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox true

mroh
ah, that explains why I have no fonts in kiwix-desktop.  thx!
jgart

oriansj: [THANKS 💯]: Yay.