This is a known bug of qtwebengine, it's not related to your font settings. It's about glibc and the sandbox of qtwebengine. See here for more detail: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1164975 It's not fixed because the open source support of Qt 5 series is end. Only commercial support can get the patch(Qt 5.15.8). If we want to fix this, we may give the KDE's Qt branch a look. AFAIK, Archlinux use it. A simple workaround for your problem is: Disable the sandbox. "jgart" writes: > hi guixers, > > what am I missing from qutebrowser to render text from sites like wikipedia and g-golf documentation site? > > See this screenshot (will expire in a week): > > https://up.nixnet.services/j80xqgx7.png > > has anyone else run into this issue? > > I'm on guix system and I installed qutebrowser via my guix home profile > > Does qutebrowser on guix system require me to explicitly install fonts for it? > > all best -- Retrieve my PGP public key: gpg --recv-keys B3EBC086AB0EBC0F45E0B4D433DB374BCEE4D9DC Zihao