unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* About donation to GNU Guix project
@ 2023-06-04 13:52 Mert Gör
From: Mert Gör @ 2023-06-04 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

hi people !

I want to learn if I can donate hardware(server and other hardware for
GNU Guix infrastructure) or donate with some money if they all possible
I'll be happy

happy hacking !

hwpplayer1 on Libera.chat

Mert Gör

* Re: About donation to GNU Guix project
@ 2023-06-12  1:43 ` Maxim Cournoyer
From: Maxim Cournoyer @ 2023-06-12  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mert Gör; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi Mert,

Mert Gör <mertgor@masscollabs.xyz> writes:

> hi people !
>
> I want to learn if I can donate hardware(server and other hardware for
> GNU Guix infrastructure) or donate with some money if they all
> possible I'll be happy
>
> happy hacking !
>
> hwpplayer1 on Libera.chat

Donating hardware is a bit tricky because it needs to be hosted
somewhere, but it can be discussed and welcome, especially if the
hosting can also be provided somehow (we have a couple machines running
in people's home connecting via a WireGuard tunnel to the build farm
from which we can get packages built via Cuirass).

Money is easy to keep for when it is needed.  It gets spent on various
things such as hardware replacements (e.g. SSDs), hosting fees, Guix
events, etc.

There are at least two places you can donate money two:

1. Free Software Foundation (FSF):
https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=50

2. Guix Europe
http://foundation.guix.info/

I'm actually not sure how donating to Guix Europe works (I know you can
become a member for a small fee), but you could ask for the bank account
number and wire the funds there.

I'd use the one closest to you geographically, as the processing costs
(e.g. the cost of a wire transfer) should be lower.  The FSF does take a
10% cut on any new deposit, but I that's fair since they provide the
Guix project with valuable services such as the Savannah hosting and
Debbugs service, mailing lists, etc. (on top of their excellent mission
to spread the word and defend free software).

Maxim

* Re: About donation to GNU Guix project
@ 2023-06-13  2:08   ` Leo Famulari
From: Leo Famulari @ 2023-06-13  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer; +Cc: Mert Gör, guix-devel

On Sun, Jun 11, 2023 at 09:43:52PM -0400, Maxim Cournoyer wrote:
> Donating hardware is a bit tricky because it needs to be hosted
> somewhere, but it can be discussed and welcome, especially if the
> hosting can also be provided somehow (we have a couple machines running
> in people's home connecting via a WireGuard tunnel to the build farm
> from which we can get packages built via Cuirass).

+1

Donation of hosting may be more impactful than donating hardware.

Thanks for your interest!

* Re: About donation to GNU Guix project
@ 2023-06-13 16:30   ` mertgor
From: mertgor @ 2023-06-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, guix-devel

As I understand hosting is possible for a quick solution but please give me some time to think about how to get involved deeply with the community. Thanks for your understanding. And ... Happy Hacking !... :)

@ 2023-06-19 14:30   ` Simon Tournier
From: Simon Tournier @ 2023-06-19 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maxim Cournoyer, Mert Gör; +Cc: guix-devel

Hi,

On Sun, 11 Jun 2023 at 21:43, Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mert Gör <mertgor@masscollabs.xyz> writes:

>>                             donate with some money if they all
>> possible I'll be happy

[...]

> 2. Guix Europe
> http://foundation.guix.info/
>
> I'm actually not sure how donating to Guix Europe works (I know you can
> become a member for a small fee), but you could ask for the bank account
> number and wire the funds there.

In addition to what Maxim said, Guix Foundation (previously known as
Guix Europe) is a non-profit supporting the Guix project.  Indeed, the
bank information is lacking on the website.  Feel free to ping me if you
would like to wire there.

Cheers,
simon