unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
From: Maxim Cournoyer <maxim.cournoyer@gmail.com>
To: "Mert Gör" <mertgor@masscollabs.xyz>
Cc: guix-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: About donation to GNU Guix project
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2023 21:43:52 -0400	[thread overview]

Hi Mert,

Mert Gör <mertgor@masscollabs.xyz> writes:

> hi people !
>
> I want to learn if I can donate hardware(server and other hardware for
> GNU Guix infrastructure) or donate with some money if they all
> possible I'll be happy
>
> happy hacking !
>
> hwpplayer1 on Libera.chat

Donating hardware is a bit tricky because it needs to be hosted
somewhere, but it can be discussed and welcome, especially if the
hosting can also be provided somehow (we have a couple machines running
in people's home connecting via a WireGuard tunnel to the build farm
from which we can get packages built via Cuirass).

Money is easy to keep for when it is needed.  It gets spent on various
things such as hardware replacements (e.g. SSDs), hosting fees, Guix
events, etc.

There are at least two places you can donate money two:

1. Free Software Foundation (FSF):
https://my.fsf.org/civicrm/contribute/transact?reset=1&id=50

2. Guix Europe
http://foundation.guix.info/

I'm actually not sure how donating to Guix Europe works (I know you can
become a member for a small fee), but you could ask for the bank account
number and wire the funds there.

I'd use the one closest to you geographically, as the processing costs
(e.g. the cost of a wire transfer) should be lower.  The FSF does take a
10% cut on any new deposit, but I that's fair since they provide the
Guix project with valuable services such as the Savannah hosting and
Debbugs service, mailing lists, etc. (on top of their excellent mission
to spread the word and defend free software).

Maxim