unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Replace Youtube-DL with HyperVideo
@ 2019-08-05 18:56 Raghav Gururajan
From: Raghav Gururajan @ 2019-08-05 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hello Guix!

I came across this project called HyperVideo (https://libregit.org/heck
yel/hypervideo). It is a fork of Youtube-DL, without non-free JS and
SWF bytecode.

Hyperbola GNU/Linux-Libre (FSDG Compliant) have replaced youtube-dl
with hypervideo (https://www.hyperbola.info/packages/community/any/hype
rvideo/).

I was thinking, would it be wise to do the same for our Guix System?
This may reduce time while packaging/upgrading, as de-blobbing of yt-dl
will not be necessary.

Thank you!

Regards,
RG.

* Re: Replace Youtube-DL with HyperVideo
@ 2019-08-07  9:02 ` Hartmut Goebel
From: Hartmut Goebel @ 2019-08-07  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Am 05.08.19 um 20:56 schrieb Raghav Gururajan:
> I came across this project called HyperVideo (https://libregit.org/heck
> yel/hypervideo). It is a fork of Youtube-DL, without non-free JS and
> SWF bytecode.

Huh? youtube-dl does not include any JS or SWF bytecode - so there is
nothing to remove.

And I just checked the diff, and there are not blobs removed (which is
what I would have expected). The only things changed are:

  * Signature decryption for youtube signatures is removed.
      o The JS bytecode interpreter is removed - which AFAIU is not a
        complete interpreter, but only tried to fetch the calculated URL
        from the code.
      o The SWF bytecode interpreter is removed - which also AFAIU is
        not a complete interpreter.
  * The IqiyiSDKInterpreter removed in youtube_dl/extractor/iqiyi.py -
    theses seem to use some hard-coded authentication tokens for login
    at http://kylin.iqiyi.com/

I can't see why this would require to replace youttube-dl by hypervideo.

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel

| Hartmut Goebel          | h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com               |

* Re: Replace Youtube-DL with HyperVideo
@ 2019-08-07  9:39   ` rain1
From: rain1 @ 2019-08-07  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hartmut Goebel; +Cc: guix-devel, Guix-devel

On 2019-08-07 10:02, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 05.08.19 um 20:56 schrieb Raghav Gururajan:
>> I came across this project called HyperVideo
>> (https://libregit.org/heck
>> yel/hypervideo). It is a fork of Youtube-DL, without non-free JS and
>> SWF bytecode.
>
> Huh? youtube-dl does not include any JS or SWF bytecode - so there is
> nothing to remove.
>
> And I just checked the diff, and there are not blobs removed (which is
> what I would have expected). The only things changed are:
>
>   * Signature decryption for youtube signatures is removed.
>       o The JS bytecode interpreter is removed - which AFAIU is not a
>         complete interpreter, but only tried to fetch the calculated
> URL
>         from the code.
>       o The SWF bytecode interpreter is removed - which also AFAIU is
>         not a complete interpreter.
>   * The IqiyiSDKInterpreter removed in youtube_dl/extractor/iqiyi.py -
>     theses seem to use some hard-coded authentication tokens for login
>     at http://kylin.iqiyi.com/
>
> I can't see why this would require to replace youttube-dl by
> hypervideo.

Hello

According to my analysis youtube-dl is libre software.

there was some confusion at some point because it was thought that it
has a "javascript interpreter" and "executes non-free javascript
downloaded from the youtube website". I put these in quotes because they
are not really true. The "interpreter" is actually just a regex that
strips out a certain snippet and an simple arithmetic expression
evaluator, it doesn't handle much of javascript and it's very much below
turing complete. It uses this to compute a key that's needed to access
certain videos.

Here is my post about it on gnu-linux-libre
https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnu-linux-libre/2017-07/msg00000.html

I think the fork will divide our efforts and reduce our ability to
cooperate with each other as a free software community. I don't
recommend it.