unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Missing code comments in guix source: 2 examples from gnu/services
@ 2018-11-05  8:30 swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-05  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: guix-devel

Hi

Reading this
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/monitoring.scm

I would like to know what darkstat is without having to look elsewhere.

None of the (define-s have docstrings and the top comment

;;;
;;; darkstat
;;;

does not help much.

prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is just as little documented
in the same file. From the file I have no idea what this does as its
only documentation is:

|(shepherd-service (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.")|

---

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/admin.scm

Is generally a little better documented with docstrings. But here a
header like

;;;
;;; darkstat
;;;

is missing for rottlog and also a short description of what rottlog
does. (from the name and peeking at the code I'm guessing it rotates
logs but many services have arbitrary names, especially to newcomers on
GNU/Linux)

--
Cheers
Swedebugia

* Re: Missing code comments in guix source: 2 examples from gnu/services
@ 2018-11-05  8:40 ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-05  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 5., H, 9:33):

> Hi
>
> Reading this http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/monitoring.scm
>
> I would like to know what darkstat is without having to look elsewhere.
>
> None of the (define-s have docstrings and the top comment
>
> ;;;
> ;;; darkstat
> ;;;
>
> does not help much.
>
> prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is just as little documented in the same file. From the file I have no idea what this does as its only documentation is:
>
>      (shepherd-service
>       (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.")
>
> ---

Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix this in prometheus-node-exporter.
Can you point me to a service where the documentation is statisfactory?

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/gnu/services/admin.scm
>
> Is generally a little better documented with docstrings. But here a header like
>
> ;;;
> ;;; darkstat
> ;;;
>
> is missing for rottlog and also a short description of what rottlog does. (from the name and peeking at the code I'm guessing it rotates logs but many services have arbitrary names, especially to newcomers on GNU/Linux)
>
> --
> Cheers
> Swedebugia

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Missing code comments in guix source: 2 examples from gnu/services
@ 2018-11-05  9:14   ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-05  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits, guix-devel

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply :)

On 2018-11-05 09:40, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> Hello,  > > swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov.
5., > H, 9:33): >> >> >> prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is
just as little >> documented in the same file. From the file I have no
idea what this >> does as its only documentation is: >> >>
(shepherd-service (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.") >> >> ---
prometheus-node-exporter. Thank you :)
>  > Can you point me to a service where the documentation is >
statisfactory?

Actually I cannot yet as I have only read these two files. I will get
back to you on that one.

I'm going to install geiser to try the autodoc function, but if I
understood correctly this only works with docstrings, NOT say package
records.

Do we have a tool in emacs/geiser for looking up a package synopsis
based on the package-name at point?

Anyway when printing on paper and reading via a git client/git web this
won't help.

--

@ 2018-11-05 10:39     ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2018-11-05 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: swedebugia; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello,

swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 5., H, 10:14):

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the quick reply :)
>

> On 2018-11-05 09:40, Gábor Boskovits wrote:
> > Hello, > > swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 5., > H, 9:33): >> >> >> prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is just as little >> documented in the same file. From the file I have no idea what this >> does as its only documentation is: >> >> (shepherd-service (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.") >> >> --- >> > > Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix this in > prometheus-node-exporter. Thank you :)
> > > Can you point me to a service where the documentation is > statisfactory?
>
> Actually I cannot yet as I have only read these two files. I will get back to you on that one.
>
> I'm going to install geiser to try the autodoc function, but if I understood correctly this only works with docstrings, NOT say package records.
>
> Do we have a tool in emacs/geiser for looking up a package synopsis based on the package-name at point?

I guess there is something like this in emacs-guix, but I do not use
that extensively.

> Anyway when printing on paper and reading via a git client/git web this won't help.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Swedebugia

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Missing code comments in guix source: 2 examples from gnu/services
@ 2018-11-06 14:15   ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2018-11-06 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi,

Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:

> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 5., H, 9:33):

[...]

>> prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is just as little documented in the same file. From the file I have no idea what this does as its only documentation is:
>>
>>      (shepherd-service
>>       (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.")
>>
>> ---
>>

> Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix this in prometheus-node-exporter.
> Can you point me to a service where the documentation is statisfactory?

Note that the ‘documentation’ field that you see above is what “herd doc
prometheus-node-exporter” shows.  It should be terse compared to the
‘documentation’ field of ‘service-type’.

Thanks,
Ludo’.

* Re: Missing code comments in guix source: 2 examples from gnu/services
@ 2018-11-08 23:12     ` swedebugia
From: swedebugia @ 2018-11-08 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès, Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel

On 2018-11-06 15:15, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gábor Boskovits <boskovits@gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> swedebugia <swedebugia@riseup.net> ezt írta (időpont: 2018. nov. 5., H, 9:33):
> [...]
>
>>> prometheus-node-exporter-shepherd-service is just as little documented in the same file. From the file I have no idea what this does as its only documentation is:
>>>
>>>       (shepherd-service
>>>        (documentation "Prometheus node exporter.")
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>> Thanks for pointing this out, I will fix this in prometheus-node-exporter.
>> Can you point me to a service where the documentation is statisfactory?
> Note that the ‘documentation’ field that you see above is what “herd doc
> prometheus-node-exporter” shows.  It should be terse compared to the
> ‘documentation’ field of ‘service-type’.
Ok, thanks.

--
Cheers Swedebugia