unofficial mirror of guix-devel@gnu.org
* Video narration
@ 2019-03-05 12:52 Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-05 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Guix-devel, pgarlick, Björn Höfling,
	Gábor Boskovits, Ricardo Wurmus, Ludovic Courtès

Hi Paul!

How are you?

I just wanted to ask you if you are still interested in contributing
being the narrator of our videos.

They have my voice now, and a transcript. Of course that I will
mention the timing, and arrange the subtitles for the command line
session videos, so that you just have to speak. For the slide videos
there is no problem, it is just saying what the transcript says and
the video will adapt to your timing.

Please, let me know if you can/want to do it, or if we should ask
someone else :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-05 15:14 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-05 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Guix-devel, Björn Höfling,
	Gábor Boskovits, Ricardo Wurmus, Ludovic Courtès

Hi Laura,

> I just wanted to ask you if you are still interested in contributing
> being the narrator of our videos.

Sure.  Can you give me a few more details about what is required:

i) how many videos are there?
ii) are there two types of video, one for command line sessions and one
for slides?
iii) how big are the files?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-05 16:27   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-05 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> Sure.  Can you give me a few more details about what is required:
Oh, that is really great, thank you very much :)

> i) how many videos are there?
Up to now, six (I have to upload the last one). But we can try with 03-help.
If you want, you can build them by cloning
git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git.

> ii) are there two types of video, one for command line sessions and one
> for slides?
Yes! The slide videos are really easy, there is a transcript and I
home-made recorded the audios to help.  It is just reading the
transcript. For the command line session videos, it is more difficult,
since the timing is not that exact. In the latter case, I will create
the audios too, I did not do it during my internship because creating
the video for Guix days took me like three days for matching the audio
with the commands and I was not going to be able to create new ones.I
don't know which audio format we will need, maybe someone else could
help with that.
In the repo, maybe we could try with 03-help that has no cli session
videos. We could rename my audio files directory to have it like a
reference,and you could add them to the audios subdir. We can give it
a try with just one, there is a  wip-README but basically you have to
run ./build-video, sh 03-help and just wait.
If everything goes well then go on with the following ones. To watch
them, they work fine with mpv and VLC players. After we have them
working, they will be available in a VM for the community to watch
them and give their suggestions, bugs, and so on, so that they don't
have to build the videos. And when we have our final version, they
will be officially uploaded.

> iii) how big are the files?
Do you mean the audio or the video ones? I have just built the 03-help
and the final video weights about 18 Mb.

Regards, and again, thank you for helping with this :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-15 11:48     ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-15 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> If you want, you can build them by cloning
> git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git.

I have cloned the repository and built the first video with:

$ ./build-video.sh 03-help

This generates 03-help.webm which I can play with Parole, for example.
Very nice work!

I can see that there is an 'audios' subdirectory with one audio file
per svg file.  So my task, if I understand correctly, is to move
'audios' to 'audios_laura' and create a new 'audios' subdirectory with
new audio files and then re-build.

On the question of total speaking time, 03-help.webm is about 4 minutes
long.  There are six videos, so is 6x4=24mins a reasonable estimate of
the total speaking time?

Also, are the transcripts available for all the videos?  I will need
these before I go in to do the recordings.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-15 14:27       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-15 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> This generates 03-help.webm which I can play with Parole, for example.
> Very nice work!
Thank you and great! We have another player that plays our videos fine :)

> I can see that there is an 'audios' subdirectory with one audio file
> per svg file.  So my task, if I understand correctly, is to move
> 'audios' to 'audios_laura' and create a new 'audios' subdirectory with
> new audio files and then re-build.
Exactly, The makefile will look for each audio in an audios subdir, so
moving my audios subdir to audios_laura or will make it look for your
audios instead of mine's. And Sth important is to have them named
1.mp3 (or the format that is better), 2.mp3 so that it matches the
slide name.

> On the question of total speaking time, 03-help.webm is about 4 minutes
> long.  There are six videos, so is 6x4=24mins a reasonable estimate of
> the total speaking time?
You mean the timing of the total number of final vidoes, right?  I
still have to upload the last part of the last one, will test sth and
do it in a minute.
But most videos are about 3-4 minutes length. So your estimate time
should be right. In fact you will see that some of them have the
number of video duplicated because if not they would last too long.

> Also, are the transcripts available for all the videos?  I will need
> these before I go in to do the recordings.
Yes :) if you go, to videos/<videoName>/, ie videos/03-help/ you
should find a file named transcriptHelp.txt with which is said. If
not, let me know because these transcripts should appear for each
video.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-16  3:27         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-16  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

HI Paul!

I have realized that I have a typo and have to make a minor change in
04-packaging2, that will affect the audio and of course the
transcript. Just wanted to let you know. Will push it ASAP.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-18 17:07           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-18 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I have realized that I have a typo and have to make a minor change in
> 04-packaging2, that will affect the audio and of course the
> transcript. Just wanted to let you know. Will push it ASAP.

Thank you.  I will also check through the transcripts and make any
slight changes needed to make the narration more-natural-for-me to
speak.  I will be careful not to alter the timings or meanings.

Also, I will have more information on Wednesday about the time slots
available for the recording process.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-19  5:00             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-19  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul ;)

> Thank you.  I will also check through the transcripts and make any
> slight changes needed to make the narration more-natural-for-me to
> speak.  I will be careful not to alter the timings or meanings.
Thank you. The transcripts have a timing as an idea, but speak
spontaneously, like you normally do.
And of course you are welcome to make changes to sound more natural :)
I will start git pulling before making some comments.

> Also, I will have more information on Wednesday about the time slots
> available for the recording process.
Please, let me know whatever information you need and also that you
can share. And sorry for the delay. My recording process is difficult:
I use my headsets in my phone, try to avoid environmental noise as
much as possible, then I put it on my computer and change the format
to mp3. Tried Audacity but my recording sounds horrible.

Regards :)
Laura

PS: please git pull because I go on adding/updating stuff :)

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-19 21:02               ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-19 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

I have just pushed the last video.
Please, let me know if everything is fine.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-20 12:39                 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-20 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I have just pushed the last video.
> Please, let me know if everything is fine.

'git pull' and 'git push' are working for me.  I have updated the
README file as an initial test commit.  Please check that you are happy
with the changes.

Also, I have provisionally booked next Friday 29th March to do the
recordings.  I will be getting some help from a sound engineer to use
the gear in the studio.  All being well it should be possible to do all
the recordings in one session :)

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-20 13:38                   ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-03-20 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> writes:

> Also, I have provisionally booked next Friday 29th March to do the
> recordings.  I will be getting some help from a sound engineer to use
> the gear in the studio.  All being well it should be possible to do all
> the recordings in one session :)

Excellent!

@Laura, Are the texts for the narrations already finalized?  I don’t
remember if they have been discussed here on guix-devel.  Ideally this
would happen before recording ;)

--
Ricardo

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-20 16:20                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-20 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi!

> Excellent!
Yeah! That's really GREAT! And I git pulled without any issue :),
thank you! And let me know how we can do with the cli session videos,
since they don't have a reference.

> @Laura, Are the texts for the narrations already finalized?  I don’t
> remember if they have been discussed here on guix-devel.  Ideally this
> would happen before recording ;)
Hi  transcript changer ;). I don't remember which transcripts have
been discussed. I believe I only did so with my mentors, sending the
full videos to them.
People can make all the videos from the repo, there they can find
everything, they can create the videos as well as find the
transcripts. I don't see the point in sending only the transcripts,
since they have to watch the video like to match it. And they have my
voice like a reference.
What we agreed with my mentors and I guess with you too was that the
open discussion was about the video and its content, then, after the
deadline for that, I created the video, transcript, everything, and
sent it to them, because we were not going to have enough time to
create videos at all. Gábor has a client that allows us to upload
videos already created, but they were going to be uploaded there after
the recordings I guess, and only for the community, so that they could
watch them. And when approved, have them online on the site.
Was it like that or I misunderstood sth?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-22 17:11                       ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-22 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

I have updated the transcript for the 03-help video and the changes are
ready to view in the repo.

Next I have built the 01-installation-from-script video.  I notice that
there is no sound for the cli sessions.  Will you adding transcripts
for these?

Also, there is a brief flicker in the transition from slide view to
screen view.  Can anything be done about that?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-22 17:35                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I have updated the transcript for the 03-help video and the changes are
> ready to view in the repo.
This is GREAT!!! :)

> Next I have built the 01-installation-from-script video.  I notice that
> there is no sound for the cli sessions.  Will you adding transcripts
> for these?
Yes, this is what I was trying to explain. They have no sound because
it is quite difficult matching. I will try to add sound, but it can
take longer for me, since I have to record each sentence and match it
with what is happening in the cli session (I guess I mentioned
somewhere that for adding sound to the Guix Days demo I spent three
days, but now, I can do it with more time, I don't have to rush to
create new ones. )

> Also, there is a brief flicker in the transition from slide view to
> screen view.  Can anything be done about that?
Which player are you using?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-22 19:39                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-22 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Which player are you using?

I have tried with Parole (XFCE) and Videos (GNOME).  The flicker seems
to display something like slide-screen-slide-screen in rapid
succession.  I would expect a simple slide->screen jump at the
beginning of the session and a screen->slide jump at the end.

Have you seen this too?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-24  3:47                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-24  3:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul and Ricardo

> Have you seen this too?
We have been using mpv and VLC, don't know, Ricardo, WDYT? should we
fix this or go on with the narration?

I have just thought, may you see the transcripts of all the videos,
and arrange them if you find a better way of saying things in native
English, and then I record the CLI session videos and create subtitles
for them? Do you find this workflow fine?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-24 10:17                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-03-24 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
márc. 24., V, 4:48):

> Hi Paul and Ricardo
>
> > Have you seen this too?
> We have been using mpv and VLC, don't know, Ricardo, WDYT? should we
> fix this or go on with the narration?

I belive if the timing is not disturbed to much by this, then the narration and
fixing the video can go on in parallel. Wdyt?

> I have just thought, may you see the transcripts of all the videos,
> and arrange them if you find a better way of saying things in native
> English, and then I record the CLI session videos and create subtitles
> for them? Do you find this workflow fine?
>
> Regards :)
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-24 18:52                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-24 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi :)

Sorry Gábor for not asking all of you, noticed were ccd's after
sending the mail. Miss having both of you as mentors :/

> I believe if the timing is not disturbed to much by this, then the narration and
> fixing the video can go on in parallel. Wdyt?
It's true, they are separate things.
I would like to have the final transcripts to work on the audios of
the CLI videos, they really take time and sometimes I have to adjust
the input file timings, and that kind of stuff. And I guess Paul
mentioned that was going to record them this week. They are really
handmade, that was why I was asking maybe what to see first.
Then, maybe even other people of the community that might be
interested in the videos, could join us to see what is going wrong,
suggest ideas, and so on. Like Paul that offered their voice. WDYT?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-25 12:55                               ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-25 12:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I have just thought, may you see the transcripts of all the videos,
> and arrange them if you find a better way of saying things in native
> English, and then I record the CLI session videos and create
> subtitles for them? Do you find this workflow fine?

Yes, sounds a good plan.  I will aim to work through the videos to
build each one, then listen to the playback and then edit the
transcript at a rate of one-per-day this week.  That should mean
finishing them all by the end of this week.

If you can do the cli sessions as well that would fit in perfectly.  I
have put back the recording session to next Tuesday 2nd April so that
there is a little more time to get everything finished.

The question about flickering could take some investigation.  Do we
know yet whether this is consistent across all players? or are there
examples where flickering does not happen?

If others could test with their own players that may give us a clue.

One other suggestion was to check the codecs.  Do the slides and the
cli sessions use the same codec?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-25 22:49                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-25 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi :)
Sorry for my late response today, have just arrived home.

> Yes, sounds a good plan.  I will aim to work through the videos to
> build each one, then listen to the playback and then edit the
> transcript at a rate of one-per-day this week.  That should mean
> finishing them all by the end of this week.
>
> If you can do the cli sessions as well that would fit in perfectly.  I
> have put back the recording session to next Tuesday 2nd April so that
> there is a little more time to get everything finished.
SGTM, hope I can have all the cli sessions with sound, like I said,
they take much longer and sometimes it is mixing, arranging cli file,
mixing again, arranging and so on.

> The question about flickering could take some investigation.  Do we
> know yet whether this is consistent across all players? or are there
> examples where flickering does not happen?
With VLC and mpv they are fine. Please, try them ant let us know :)

> If others could test with their own players that may give us a clue.
Sure, as many players, the better.

> One other suggestion was to check the codecs.  Do the slides and the
> cli sessions use the same codec?
I don't want to give wrong information, I don't remember now  :/ I'd
rather do the recordings this week (at least me).

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-25 23:16                                   ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-03-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

El 25/03/19 a las 5:49 p. m., Laura Lazzati escribió:

[...]

>> The question about flickering could take some investigation.  Do we
>> know yet whether this is consistent across all players? or are there
>> examples where flickering does not happen?
> With VLC and mpv they are fine. Please, try them ant let us know :)
>>
>> If others could test with their own players that may give us a clue.
> Sure, as many players, the better.

I haven't checked the flickering problem yet, but I'd like to add again
that the resulting videos don't play in the browser because there seems
to be a corruption issue. Maybe the flickering could be related to this
corruption?

So, maybe it would be better to investigate the cause of the corruption
first? And then one could think of possible ways to add transitions
between the slides and CLI videos if the flickering is caused by
something else.

I think :)

[...]

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-26 17:08                                   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-26 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> If others could test with their own players that may give us  clue.
> Sure, as many players, the better.

I have found that the flickering is caused by the change in aspect
ratio as the video moves from the slide view to the screen view (and
back).  Parole and Videos have a default 'Auto' setting for aspect
ratio that re-sets the aspect ratio during playback.  If I change to a
constant aspect ratio (4:3, for example) the flickering stops.

The snag with a constant aspect ratio is that one or other of the views
then looks stretched.

Padding on the left and right of the screen view might be the best fix.
Then the two views could share the same aspect ratio.

Is this something that you could look into?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-26 17:58                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-26 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I have found that the flickering is caused by the change in aspect
> ratio as the video moves from the slide view to the screen view (and
> back).  Parole and Videos have a default 'Auto' setting for aspect
> ratio that re-sets the aspect ratio during playback.  If I change to a
> constant aspect ratio (4:3, for example) the flickering stops.
Great thank you!

> Is this something that you could look into?
Sure! But I am struggling with finishing the audios now. I have just
pushed the cli sessions for the first video. Believe me that they take
long. Promise to check this after that.

Regards and thank you for your finding :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-27 21:00                                       ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-27 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

I am 4/7ths of the way through the transcripts :)

On the latest one , 02-daily-use2, line 9, there is the URL:

https://audio.video.gnu.org/guix/everyday-use-part1.webm

Is this correct?  The output in the videos subdirectory is '02-daily-
use1.webm'

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-27 22:01                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-27 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I am 4/7ths of the way through the transcripts :)
Great! I am recording the audios in the late evening to have the less
environmental noise as possible.

> On the latest one , 02-daily-use2, line 9, there is the URL:
>
> https://audio.video.gnu.org/guix/everyday-use-part1.webm
>
> Is this correct?  The output in the videos subdirectory is '02-daily-
> use1.webm'
Yes, maybe we should change the subdirectory name (and final video),
but it would be just renaming them.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-29 22:32                                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-03-29 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

I am working on the 04-packaging2 transcript.  I have a question on
Slide 2.

Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:

$ guix environment --pure r-aspi

after defining the package first.  Then I would attempt to build the
package.

WDYT?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-03-29 22:45                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-03-29 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
> If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:
>
> $ guix environment --pure r-aspi
The environment was set up in the first packaging video. As far as I
am concerned, the idea is to have a clean guix environment and package
everything there. If you are using a foreign distro then I believe
that it could not be reproducible if you package it first.
Please, let the others correct me if I am wrong.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-01 15:16                                               ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-01 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

I have finished updating the transcripts and I am preparing to do the
recordings tomorrow.

One question about the makefile: am I right in thinking that the
makefile automatically adjusts the duration of each slide according to
the duration of the corresponding audio file?  In other words it would
not matter if I supply audio files that are slightly longer (or
shorter) than your originals?

> Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
> If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:
>
> $ guix environment --pure r-aspi
> The environment was set up in the first packaging video. As far as I
> am concerned, the idea is to have a clean guix environment and
> package
> everything there. If you are using a foreign distro then I believe
> that it could not be reproducible if you package it first.
> Please, let the others correct me if I am wrong.

I think that this question has to do with the complexity of the
package.  The aspi example is a simple case that does not have any
dependencies outside the R build system.  For a more complex package
(newPackage, for example) using:

$ guix environment --pure guix
$ guix build newPackage

would fail if newPackage has extra inputs.  Instead, the commands
should be:

$ guix environment --pure newPackage
$ guix build newPackage

I think this would be easy to communicate to new users if steps 1 and 2
are switched on Slide 2 and I add some extra words to the transcript.

Do you (and others) agree?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-01 18:02                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-01 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I have finished updating the transcripts and I am preparing to do the
> recordings tomorrow.
Great! Could you remind me in UTC at which time of the day? Because I
generally have to record them at 00 UTC to reduce the environmental
noise. And then match them.

> One question about the makefile: am I right in thinking that the
> makefile automatically adjusts the duration of each slide according to
> the duration of the corresponding audio file?  In other words it would
> not matter if I supply audio files that are slightly longer (or
> shorter) than your originals?
Yes, the slides videos take the duration of the audio file. And the
cli session videos, let me check, but they are easier in terms that
you have to say what is said during while listening to the audio, to
match the command.

> > Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
> > If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:
> >
> > $ guix environment --pure r-aspi
> > The environment was set up in the first packaging video. As far as I
> > am concerned, the idea is to have a clean guix environment and
> > package
> > everything there. If you are using a foreign distro then I believe
> > that it could not be reproducible if you package it first.
> > Please, let the others correct me if I am wrong.
>
> I think that this question has to do with the complexity of the
> package.  The aspi example is a simple case that does not have any
> dependencies outside the R build system.  For a more complex package
> (newPackage, for example) using:
>
> $ guix environment --pure guix
> $ guix build newPackage
>
> would fail if newPackage has extra inputs.  Instead, the commands
> should be:
>
> $ guix environment --pure newPackage
> $ guix build newPackage
>
> I think this would be easy to communicate to new users if steps 1 and 2
> are switched on Slide 2 and I add some extra words to the transcript.
>
> Do you (and others) agree?
When I packaged, I did it the other way, and my mentors approved them.
Recall that you are "touching" .scm files from your the guix you have
installed if you do it the other way around. But if the others can
shed some light it would be great. In case I am wrong, I would need to
change not only the slides but also the cli sessions :/. In that case,
could you reschedule the day for the recordings?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-02  8:34                                                   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-02  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Great! Could you remind me in UTC at which time of the day? Because I
> generally have to record them at 00 UTC to reduce the environmental
> noise. And then match them.

Thank  you for uploading the cli audios for the packaging3 video.  That
completes the set!

I will be going to the studio in half an hour (11.00am UTC).  They have
a space with low background noise.  However, I will ask for a short
'silence' recording too, so that we can use it for joining sections if
we need to.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-02 17:21                                                   ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-04-02 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
ápr. 1., H, 20:02):

> Hi Paul!
>

> > I have finished updating the transcripts and I am preparing to do the
> > recordings tomorrow.
> Great! Could you remind me in UTC at which time of the day? Because I
> generally have to record them at 00 UTC to reduce the environmental
> noise. And then match them.
> >
> > One question about the makefile: am I right in thinking that the
> > makefile automatically adjusts the duration of each slide according to
> > the duration of the corresponding audio file?  In other words it would
> > not matter if I supply audio files that are slightly longer (or
> > shorter) than your originals?
> Yes, the slides videos take the duration of the audio file. And the
> cli session videos, let me check, but they are easier in terms that
> you have to say what is said during while listening to the audio, to
> match the command.
> >
> > > Shouldn't the 'guix environment' step be later in the list of steps?
> > > If I was packaging the aspi package I would do:
> > >
> > > $ guix environment --pure r-aspi
> > > The environment was set up in the first packaging video. As far as I
> > > am concerned, the idea is to have a clean guix environment and
> > > package
> > > everything there. If you are using a foreign distro then I believe
> > > that it could not be reproducible if you package it first.
> > > Please, let the others correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > I think that this question has to do with the complexity of the
> > package.  The aspi example is a simple case that does not have any
> > dependencies outside the R build system.  For a more complex package
> > (newPackage, for example) using:
> >
> > $ guix environment --pure guix
> > $ guix build newPackage
> >
> > would fail if newPackage has extra inputs.  Instead, the commands
> > should be:
> >
> > $ guix environment --pure newPackage
> > $ guix build newPackage
> >
> > I think this would be easy to communicate to new users if steps 1 and 2
> > are switched on Slide 2 and I add some extra words to the transcript.
> >
> > Do you (and others) agree?
> When I packaged, I did it the other way, and my mentors approved them.
> Recall that you are "touching" .scm files from your the guix you have
> installed if you do it the other way around. But if the others can
> shed some light it would be great. In case I am wrong, I would need to
> change not only the slides but also the cli sessions :/. In that case,
> could you reschedule the day for the recordings?

Sorry, I am late to the party. To clarify things, the following is
happening here:
1. at first guix is built from source, in a guix environment guix
2. the package is added
3. the package build is tested using pre-inst-env guix build package

So, the environment is not for r-aspi, but to get to the exact environment where
the pre-inst-env was built, so the third step is reproducible.

Does that make sense?

> Regards :)
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-02 18:16                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-02 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi :)

> Sorry, I am late to the party. To clarify things, the following is
> happening here:
> 1. at first guix is built from source, in a guix environment guix
> 2. the package is added
> 3. the package build is tested using pre-inst-env guix build package
>
> So, the environment is not for r-aspi, but to get to the exact environment where
> the pre-inst-env was built, so the third step is reproducible.
>
> Does that make sense?
Yes, that was the way I packaged and what was trying to explain, and
asked the others in case I was wrong.
Regards :)

Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-02 18:19                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-02 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> Thank  you for uploading the cli audios for the packaging3 video.  That
> completes the set!
Yeah!

> I will be going to the studio in half an hour (11.00am UTC).  They have
> a space with low background noise.  However, I will ask for a short
> 'silence' recording too, so that we can use it for joining sections if
> we need to.
Great!  :)  Let me know when you have time to push them  - no rush,
just to test  :) -

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-03 14:05                                                       ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-03 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

The recording session went very well yesterday.  We were able to make
all the recordings in a studio without having to worry about background
noise.

I had help from a sound engineer who is familiar with the microphone
set-up and the recording process.

> Great!  :)  Let me know when you have time to push them  - no rush,
> just to test  :) -

I have pushed the first set of audio files, for the 01-installation-
from-script video.  I have been able to re-build the video to check
that it works.  It does!

For the cli sessions we used the timings in your recordings as a guide
to synchronize my voice with the screen.  I notice that there are
'sleep' commands in the session files so it might be possible to fine-
tune the timing if necessary.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-03 14:25                                                         ` sirgazil
                                                                           ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: sirgazil @ 2019-04-03 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick, Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

El 3/04/19 a las 9:05 a. m., Paul Garlick escribió:
> Hi Laura,
>
> The recording session went very well yesterday.  We were able to make
> all the recordings in a studio without having to worry about background
> noise.
>
> I had help from a sound engineer who is familiar with the microphone
> set-up and the recording process.
>
>> Great!  :)  Let me know when you have time to push them  - no rush,
>> just to test  :) -
>
> I have pushed the first set of audio files, for the 01-installation-
> from-script video.  I have been able to re-build the video to check
> that it works.  It does!

Yay!

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-03 15:38                                                         ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-04-03 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hello Paul,

Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019.
ápr. 3., Sze 16:05):

> Hi Laura,
>
> The recording session went very well yesterday.  We were able to make
> all the recordings in a studio without having to worry about background
> noise.

That's wonderful. Thanks so much. I will listen to them as soon as I get
better.

> I had help from a sound engineer who is familiar with the microphone
> set-up and the recording process.
>
> > Great!  :)  Let me know when you have time to push them  - no rush,
> > just to test  :) -
>
> I have pushed the first set of audio files, for the 01-installation-
> from-script video.  I have been able to re-build the video to check
> that it works.  It does!
>
> For the cli sessions we used the timings in your recordings as a guide
> to synchronize my voice with the screen.  I notice that there are
> 'sleep' commands in the session files so it might be possible to fine-
> tune the timing if necessary.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-03 16:45                                                         ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-04-03 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick, Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

El 3/04/19 a las 9:05 a. m., Paul Garlick escribió:
> Hi Laura,
>
> The recording session went very well yesterday.  We were able to make
> all the recordings in a studio without having to worry about background
> noise.
>
> I had help from a sound engineer who is familiar with the microphone
> set-up and the recording process.

Nice and clear voice. Great!

--
Luis Felipe López Acevedo
http://sirgazil.bitbucket.io/

* Re: Video narration
                                                                           ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-03 19:11                                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> I had help from a sound engineer who is familiar with the microphone
> set-up and the recording process.

GREAT!

> For the cli sessions we used the timings in your recordings as a guide
> to synchronize my voice with the screen.  I notice that there are
> 'sleep' commands in the session files so it might be possible to fine-
> tune the timing if necessary.
Yes! I am working on them to have the best match we can :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-05 14:36                                                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-05 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi All,

> Yes! I am working on them to have the best match we can :)
Nice, thanks Laura!

I have pushed all of the new audio recordings to guix/videos.git.

There were two extra svg images needed (for 02-daily-use2 and 04-
packaging1) to match up with the audio.  I have added templates for
them.

One question that cropped up was about the frame rate of the videos.  I
checked the cli and nocli videos and noticed that the nocli videos have
a frame rate of 30 frames per second (fps) and the cli videos have a
frame rate of 20 fps.

Was there a reason for the difference?

It may make it easier for the players to have a constant frame rate
throughout.  I gather that 25 fps is a common standard.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-05 18:23                                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-05 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I have pushed all of the new audio recordings to guix/videos.git.
Yeah :) I saw them, that is why I didn't answer back, was planning to
see the matching of the other these days :)
> There were two extra svg images needed (for 02-daily-use2 and 04-
> packaging1) to match up with the audio.  I have added templates for
> them.
I haven't created them yet, but will. For the audios? That is weird,
they take the duration of the audio for their duration :/

> Was there a reason for the difference?
My honest answer is: i don't know. If you like the project, I am not
an intern anymore. I will go on contributing, but you are really more
than welcome if you have video and audio knowledge that you can share
:). I would love to see the videos uploaded <3

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-05 18:49                                                               ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-04-05 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> writes:

>> Was there a reason for the difference?
> My honest answer is: i don't know.

This is probably my mistake.  I didn’t pay much attention to frame rates
when I first built the scripts for generating the CLI videos.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-08 16:19                                                                 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-08 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus, Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> This is probably my mistake.  I didn’t pay much attention to frame
> rates when I first built the scripts for generating the CLI videos.

Ok, thanks.  This is fixed in commit
7180fff4ecb46cfed41c6214579a53af6a636a21.

The new frame rate is 25 fps.  This is the European standard for PAL/HD
video.

The file sizes are not dramatically affected by the change.  The first
video is reduced in size from 11MB to 10 MB, for example.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-09 10:46                                                                   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-09 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul :)

O is fixed in commit
> 7180fff4ecb46cfed41c6214579a53af6a636a21.
>
> The new frame rate is 25 fps.  This is the European standard for PAL/HD
> video.
>
> The file sizes are not dramatically affected by the change.  The first
> video is reduced in size from 11MB to 10 MB, for example.

Thank you so much for fixing this. It was in my TODO list, but it is
GREAT and if you can share your knowledge we can work and make the
videos available asap :) I will go back tomorrow with fixing the
timing, sorry for the delay :(

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-09 14:10                                                                     ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-09 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Thank you so much for fixing this. It was in my TODO list, but it is
> GREAT and if you can share your knowledge we can work and make the
> videos available asap :)

I have been able to match the aspect ratio of the cli videos to the
nocli videos.  With ffmpeg there is a filtergraph that can be added to
pad the images.  The result is a smooth transition between the two
types.  There is no longer flickering or crashing in the players I have
tested.

The fix is commit 7c5db139081c37cbd4896628e38f5bff8dc5427e.

>  I will go back tomorrow with fixing the timing

Great.  One thought I had on the timing of the cli videos is that there
are two durations at work.  Firstly, the frame rate and the number of
frames:

duration1 (in seconds) = number of frames x 25

Secondly, there is the duration of the audio file (duration2).

Should we check that duration1 approximately equals duration2?  Or
possibly the audio file should always be slightly shorter than the
duration of the frame display.

WDYT?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-17 19:44                                                                       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-17 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!
Sorry fot the delay.

> I have been able to match the aspect ratio of the cli videos to the
> nocli videos.  With ffmpeg there is a filtergraph that can be added to
> pad the images.  The result is a smooth transition between the two
> types.  There is no longer flickering or crashing in the players I have
> tested.
Can you tell me which players work for you? I tried with my browser
and it still tells me that the file is corrupt :/

> The fix is commit 7c5db139081c37cbd4896628e38f5bff8dc5427e.

> Great.  One thought I had on the timing of the cli videos is that there
> are two durations at work.  Firstly, the frame rate and the number of
> frames:
>
> duration1 (in seconds) = number of frames x 25
>
> Secondly, there is the duration of the audio file (duration2).
>
> Should we check that duration1 approximately equals duration2?  Or
> possibly the audio file should always be slightly shorter than the
> duration of the frame display.
>
> WDYT?
I didn't notice this. Is it possible to make the audio shorter than
the first duration?
Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-17 22:11                                                                         ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Can you tell me which players work for you? I tried with my browser
> and it still tells me that the file is corrupt :/

I have tested Parole and Videos media players and Firefox and Midori
browsers.  All work except Firefox, which gives the message:

'Video can't be played because the file is corrupt'

Is Firefox the browser you are testing with?

Possibly another tweak to the ffmpeg encoding might be needed to
support Firefox.

> I didn't notice this. Is it possible to make the audio shorter than
> the first duration?

Ah, the expression for duration1 should be:

duration1 (in seconds) = number of frames / 25

What I was thinking was that the cli sessions should end with a short
pause.  This will be the case as long as either duration1 is greater
than duration2 or the audio file has a silent section at the end.

If any of the transitions are too abrupt we can add some silence to the
relevant audio file.  The command I used for the silent slide in 02-
daily-use2 was:

$ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc=r=4800:cl=mono -t <ts> -q:a 9 -c:a
libmp3lame <audiofile>.mp3

This creates an mp3 file with <ts> seconds of silence.

So a one second pause, say, could be concatenated (with ffmpeg) at the
beginning or end of an audio file to improve the transition.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-18 17:12                                                                           ` Ludovic Courtès
From: Ludovic Courtès @ 2019-04-18 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul,

Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> skribis:

>> Can you tell me which players work for you? I tried with my browser
>> and it still tells me that the file is corrupt :/
>
> I have tested Parole and Videos media players and Firefox and Midori
> browsers.  All work except Firefox, which gives the message:
>
> 'Video can't be played because the file is corrupt'

Ricardo and I encountered that problem before… but I don’t remember how
Ricardo solved it.  I think it had to do with the choice of codecs and
all.

Ludo’.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-18 17:20                                                                           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-18 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!
Sorry, I've got up to date with this.

> Is Firefox the browser you are testing with?
Yes, I tested both with Firefox and Icecat and get the same message,
that it is corrupt :/
You mentioned you tried totem, right? In my case it runs and I can
watch the video but the colours are changed. Ie: the dark gray turns
green, and the white turns somewhat pink.
I only tested the first video.
I have a question about the Makefile. Why are we having an if in the
ffmpeg rule regarding the soundname being empty?
> What I was thinking was that the cli sessions should end with a short
> pause.  This will be the case as long as either duration1 is greater
> than duration2 or the audio file has a silent section at the end.
>
> If any of the transitions are too abrupt we can add some silence to the
> relevant audio file.  The command I used for the silent slide in 02-
> daily-use2 was:
>
> $ ffmpeg -f lavfi -i anullsrc=r=4800:cl=mono -t <ts> -q:a 9 -c:a
> libmp3lame <audiofile>.mp3
>
> This creates an mp3 file with <ts> seconds of silence.
>
> So a one second pause, say, could be concatenated (with ffmpeg) at the
> beginning or end of an audio file to improve the transition.
I see, then we can create a script for this, that runs before the
script for creating the cli session videos, WDYT?
I am really amazed about how much you know about audio and video creation :)
I have a question, what happens when duration2 > duration1?

> Best regards,
>
> Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-19  0:25                                                                             ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-19  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura and Ludo,

> the colours are changed. Ie: the dark gray turns
> green, and the white turns somewhat pink.

Commit 4bd2e78b893fef5ce1f12bec895ee8234cabaf1f fixes the colors.
ffmpeg needed a different pixel format to set the chroma subsampling
correctly [1].

I have been able to play the newly built cli and nocli videos in
Firefox.  Also, the combined video now starts in Firefox but stops just
before the first transition.  I think the concatenation step in the
Makefile could be the cause.

Best regards,

Paul.

1. https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/VP9

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-19 12:14                                                                             ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-04-19 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ludovic Courtès; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi,

Ludovic Courtès <ludo@gnu.org> writes:

>> I have tested Parole and Videos media players and Firefox and Midori
>> browsers.  All work except Firefox, which gives the message:
>>
>> 'Video can't be played because the file is corrupt'
>
> Ricardo and I encountered that problem before… but I don’t remember how
> Ricardo solved it.  I think it had to do with the choice of codecs and
> all.

My notes say:

   “The working video was generated with the default value for pix_fmt.”

Not much to go by, but if the video generating pipeline tells ffmpeg to
override “pix_fmt” then try without.

--
Ricardo

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-20 21:11                                                                               ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-20 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi everybody!

These days I will be migrating my VM since I am running out of space,
so sorry for the delay :/

I am testing right now.

> Commit 4bd2e78b893fef5ce1f12bec895ee8234cabaf1f fixes the colors.
> ffmpeg needed a different pixel format to set the chroma subsampling
> correctly [1].
>
> I have been able to play the newly built cli and nocli videos in
> Firefox.  Also, the combined video now starts in Firefox but stops just
> before the first transition.  I think the concatenation step in the
> Makefile could be the cause.
The same happens to me with Firefox.
Now, as regards the colours, it works with totem too :)
But the cli sessions are at kind of super speed now, it happens
watching the full video, or the separate cli session videos. I've
tried it with totem, mvp and vlc. Any clue about it?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-22 12:29                                                                                 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-22 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Now, as regards the colours, it works with totem too :)
> But the cli sessions are at kind of super speed now, it happens
> watching the full video, or the separate cli session videos. I've
> tried it with totem, mvp and vlc. Any clue about it?

I have not seen this effect on the playback speed.  I am using the
first video for testing.  I do:

$  make clean VIDEO=01-installation-from-script

then,

$ ./build-video.sh 01-installation-from-script

This plays at the right speed for me in Videos/Totem (version 3.26).

However, the concatenation question (for Firefox) may also be related
to the speed question.  Is super-speed very different from the expected
speed?  In the case of the first cli session for the first video there
is a difference between the duration of the audio and video streams:

duration1 (video stream):  1 minute 29 seconds
duration2 (audio stream):  1 minute 18 seconds

This difference may be treated in a different manner by different
players.  It may be necessary to add silence to the audio stream to
equalize the durations and allow reliable concatenation without re-
encoding.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-22 18:27                                                                                   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-22 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> This plays at the right speed for me in Videos/Totem (version 3.26).
Don't know what happened. I deleted all the videos and made them again
and now I don't see that issue anymore.

> duration1 (video stream):  1 minute 29 seconds
> duration2 (audio stream):  1 minute 18 seconds
>
> This difference may be treated in a different manner by different
> players.  It may be necessary to add silence to the audio stream to
> equalize the durations and allow reliable concatenation without re-
> encoding.
For this, what I could do is generate the cli sesison video with the
"silence1.mp3" to have duration1, and then compare it with the
duration of cli1.mp3 (for instance).  Then, run a script comparing the
durations while duration2 < duration1 append silence1.mp3 to cli1.mp3.
And finally use the generated cli1.mp3 as the input matching the video
stream.
I find a little bit manual, but I don't mind doing it if you find it OK.
WDYT?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-22 22:29                                                                                     ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-22 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I deleted all the videos and made them again
> and now I don't see that issue anymore.

Ah, good news!

> For this, what I could do is generate the cli sesison video with the
> "silence1.mp3" to have duration1, and then compare it with the
> duration of cli1.mp3 (for instance).  Then, run a script comparing
> the durations while duration2 < duration1 append silence1.mp3 to
> cli1.mp3.  And finally use the generated cli1.mp3 as the input
> matching the video stream.
> I find a little bit manual, but I don't mind doing it if you find it
> OK.
> WDYT?

We may have to experiment a little to solve the question of combining
the cli and nocli videos in a manner than can be replayed by
Firefox/Icecat.

One test I can try tomorrow is to concatenate the nocli videos on their
own.  Will the combined video play in Firefox?  If so, it would suggest
that the mismatch of the audio and video stream durations is the cause
of the stoppage.

There is a way to concatenate audio files with ffmpeg.  So if we know
we need an extra <ts> seconds of silence, say, we can generate the file
with the command I previously posted and join the silence to the end of
the narration.

This would be a script-free alternative method.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-26 22:01                                                                                     ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-26 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura and All,

I have determined the cause of the playback problems with Firefox and
pushed a fix to the  videos.git repository.

Essentially, a limitation of the treatment of opus audio streams in
Firefox means that videos with gaps in the audio stream are not played
properly.

There were two parts to the fix.  First, the audio streams need to be
padded with silence to match the duration of the video streams.  Then,
the concatenation of the audio streams needs to be done separately from
the video streams.  The two streams are the same duration and may be
joined without re-encoding.

A consequence of the new approach is that the cli sessions need to be
checked to ensure that the duration of the video streams are (slightly)
longer than the audio streams.  Otherwise, the audio streams will be
truncated.

I have made a start with the 01-installation-from-script video.  I am
using Firefox version 66.0.3 to test.

Can others confirm that the new method works with their browsers and
players?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-26 22:54                                                                                       ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-26 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi! :)

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 7:01 PM Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> Hi Laura and All,
>
> I have determined the cause of the playback problems with Firefox and
> pushed a fix to the  videos.git repository.
Great :)

> Essentially, a limitation of the treatment of opus audio streams in
> Firefox means that videos with gaps in the audio stream are not played
> properly.
>
> There were two parts to the fix.  First, the audio streams need to be
> padded with silence to match the duration of the video streams.  Then,
> the concatenation of the audio streams needs to be done separately from
> the video streams.  The two streams are the same duration and may be
> joined without re-encoding.
>
> A consequence of the new approach is that the cli sessions need to be
> checked to ensure that the duration of the video streams are (slightly)
> longer than the audio streams.  Otherwise, the audio streams will be
> truncated.
>
> I have made a start with the 01-installation-from-script video.  I am
> using Firefox version 66.0.3 to test.
Ok I will go on with the followings then!

> Can others confirm that the new method works with their browsers and
> players?
Sure :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-29 17:53                                                                                         ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-29 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> > I have made a start with the 01-installation-from-script video.  I
> > am using Firefox version 66.0.3 to test.

> Ok I will go on with the followings then!

Working on the timings for 02-daily-use1 I have found that I have
needed to make a couple of changes to the 'hesitate' procedure in the
screen script.  I have been finding that the pause introduced by the
sleep command is not accurate, making it difficult to set the right
values in the sessions files.

I wonder whether you have noticed the same effect?

To improve the accuracy I have changed the procedure definition to use
a scaling factor of one thousand, to go from milliseconds to
microseconds, and have increased the chunk size to 2 ms.  The Guile
documentation for usleep notes that many systems round the interval
specified up or down and are unable to achieve accuracy to the
microsecond level.

After some testing on the system I am using to build the videos I found
that 2 ms was the optimum value.  With this value '#:sleep 30000', for
example, produces a pause of 30 s.

I will commit the change so that you can test it too.  If we keep the
change it will mean re-checking the timings in the session files.
However, I think that this will be necessary to make the adjustments in
the total durations for Firefox.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-29 19:50                                                                                           ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-29 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> Working on the timings for 02-daily-use1 I have found that I have
> needed to make a couple of changes to the 'hesitate' procedure in the
> screen script.  I have been finding that the pause introduced by the
> sleep command is not accurate, making it difficult to set the right
> values in the sessions files.
>
> I wonder whether you have noticed the same effect?
I didn't, but I have to admit that my timing was kind of homemade, I
tried to match the audio with the video as exact as possible.

> To improve the accuracy I have changed the procedure definition to use
> a scaling factor of one thousand, to go from milliseconds to
> microseconds, and have increased the chunk size to 2 ms.  The Guile
> documentation for usleep notes that many systems round the interval
> specified up or down and are unable to achieve accuracy to the
> microsecond level.
>
> After some testing on the system I am using to build the videos I found
> that 2 ms was the optimum value.  With this value '#:sleep 30000', for
> example, produces a pause of 30 s.
>
> I will commit the change so that you can test it too.  If we keep the
> change it will mean re-checking the timings in the session files.
> However, I think that this will be necessary to make the adjustments in
> the total durations for Firefox.
I see. I was testing with the current screen file. Please, let me know
when you push the changes so that I make all the videos again and
adjust what is necessary. And thank you for helping with this :) I am
really amazed at how much you know!

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-29 20:06                                                                                             ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-29 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I see. I was testing with the current screen file. Please, let me
> know when you push the changes so that I make all the videos again
> and adjust what is necessary.

Many thanks.  I have pushed the changes to the repository.

It would be great if you can test the accuracy on your system too.  If
you add '#:sleep 10000' to one of the session files, for example, does
it make the cli video 10 seconds longer?

If so, I think it will make finishing off the timings and checking the
durations much easier.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-29 20:19                                                                                               ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-29 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> It would be great if you can test the accuracy on your system too.  If
> you add '#:sleep 10000' to one of the session files, for example, does
> it make the cli video 10 seconds longer?
With the new changes, right?

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-29 22:50                                                                                                 ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-29 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> With the new changes, right?

Yes.

In my case I was noticing erratic intervals produced by the sleep
commands.  So '#:sleep 1000' gave a 6 s pause and '#:sleep 13000' gave
a 26 s pause, for example.  After the changes the commands produce the
expected results.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-30  8:52                                                                                                   ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-30  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> In my case I was noticing erratic intervals produced by the sleep
> commands.  So '#:sleep 1000' gave a 6 s pause and '#:sleep 13000' gave
> a 26 s pause, for example.  After the changes the commands produce the
> expected results
I am creating the videos with the cli session as it was, and then
adding extra silence. Will write back to let you know my results asap
they finish  :)
Currently I changed the cli sessions for dailyuse1

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-30 13:22                                                                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-04-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul :)

I ran made the videos for 02dalyuse1 with the cli session files
untouched, using the new screen script.
Then I added :#sleep 10000 in the end of each cli file and got weird timings :$

firstCli originally gives me a length of 00:01:54.847000000
Then, adding the sleep metacommand I get 00:02:18.248000000

As regards secondCli, originally: 00:00:59.608000000
And adding the sleep metacommand: 00:01:11.648000000

Hope this helps.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-04-30 23:36                                                                                                       ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-04-30 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> firstCli originally gives me a length of 00:01:54.847000000
> Then, adding the sleep metacommand I get 00:02:18.248000000
>
> As regards secondCli, originally: 00:00:59.608000000
> And adding the sleep metacommand: 00:01:11.648000000

Thank you for testing.  The results are different from my system.

I think we are seeing a difference between wall-clock time and cpu
time.  In the screen file I can see there is a snap! procedure that
writes a frame to disk after each interval.  It looks as if the disk
i/o is interrupting the sleep counter and introducing a delay that
depends on the system activity.

We may need to change tack to get accurate time delays.  One thought is
to replace the timer with a 'repeat' procedure that repeats the
previous frame.  If we know the sleep duration, s, and the interval, i,
we can calculate the number of repeats, N, needed:

N = s / i

This method would be unaffected by disk write times or rounding errors.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-01 14:05                                                                                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-01 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> Thank you for testing.  The results are different from my system.
You are welcome :) I like testing (and trying to break) stuff - I
wished this worked well though :/

> I think we are seeing a difference between wall-clock time and cpu
> time.  In the screen file I can see there is a snap! procedure that
> writes a frame to disk after each interval.  It looks as if the disk
> i/o is interrupting the sleep counter and introducing a delay that
> depends on the system activity.
>
> We may need to change tack to get accurate time delays.  One thought is
> to replace the timer with a 'repeat' procedure that repeats the
> previous frame.  If we know the sleep duration, s, and the interval, i,
> we can calculate the number of repeats, N, needed:
>
> N = s / i
>
> This method would be unaffected by disk write times or rounding errors.
I understand the issue. I definitely HAVE TO learn Guile. During the
internship -and now- I am able to understand what the code is doing
and change it a little bit, or set the configuration of the distro for
instance, but I don't know to write from scratch :/
While writing this I am opening a tutorial :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-02 21:36                                                                                                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-02 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I like testing (and trying to break) stuff - I
> wished this worked well though :/

I have a new version to test.  It's unbreakable though, this one!

I have implemented the repeat procedure and pushed the commit to the
repository.

> I definitely HAVE TO learn Guile.

This is a good example.

There is some arithmetic needed to convert the sleep durations, in
milliseconds, to frames, using the frame rate.  If you have seen
reverse polish notation before you will recognise the way the
arithmetic expressions are built up.

The function comes first and the arguments afterwards.  So (/ wait
1000), for example, means divide the variable 'wait' by one thousand.

The repeat procedure uses a 'named let' for recursion.  This calls the
snap! procedure the correct number of times to generate the extra
frames.

The slightly tricky part was making sure that the snap! procedure and
the repeat procedure are in the same scope.  Otherwise, an 'unbound
variable' error is generated.  I was able to do this by moving the
repeat procedure, plus the other procedures that are needed for
processing the session files, inside the same let construct in the main
body.

To test I used the firstCli session file from 02-daily-use1.  I changed
the last line from '#:sleep 30000' to '#:sleep 40000'.  The time
durations were:

before:  78.408000
after:  88.408000

That's more like it!   a delay of ten seconds, as it should be.

Can you confirm that you get  the same result?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-04 19:34                                                                                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-04 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I have implemented the repeat procedure and pushed the commit to the
> repository.
>
> > I definitely HAVE TO learn Guile.
>
> This is a good example.
>
> There is some arithmetic needed to convert the sleep durations, in
> milliseconds, to frames, using the frame rate.  If you have seen
> reverse polish notation before you will recognise the way the
> arithmetic expressions are built up.
>
> The function comes first and the arguments afterwards.  So (/ wait
> 1000), for example, means divide the variable 'wait' by one thousand.
>
> The repeat procedure uses a 'named let' for recursion.  This calls the
> snap! procedure the correct number of times to generate the extra
> frames.
>
> The slightly tricky part was making sure that the snap! procedure and
> the repeat procedure are in the same scope.  Otherwise, an 'unbound
> variable' error is generated.  I was able to do this by moving the
> repeat procedure, plus the other procedures that are needed for
> processing the session files, inside the same let construct in the main
> body.

Thanks for your explanation, I did a tutorial and I will be playing
with Guile <3

> To test I used the firstCli session file from 02-daily-use1.  I changed
> the last line from '#:sleep 30000' to '#:sleep 40000'.  The time
> durations were:
>
> before:  78.408000
> after:  88.408000
My good news are that I get the 10 secs difference, the bad ones that
the timing is different:
00:01:18.408000000
and
00:01:28.407000000
Any clue?

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-06 11:22                                                                                                               ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-06 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> My good news are that I get the 10 secs difference, the bad ones that
> the timing is different:
> 00:01:18.408000000
> and
> 00:01:28.407000000
> Any clue?

Great.  These are the same, my timings expressed in seconds yours in
minutes and seconds.

I think we can live the millisecond difference in the last significant
digit!

So we should be able to finish from here without major obstacles.
However, I suspect that the cli timings that you did previously will
need to be re-checked as we will now be using the accurate 'sleep'
command.

If you could check the inner sleep commands in the way that you did
before I can adjust the ending sleep to make sure that the 'apad'
filter works correctly.  How about that?

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-06 13:35                                                                                                         ` Ricardo Wurmus
From: Ricardo Wurmus @ 2019-05-06 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Paul Garlick <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> writes:

> I think we are seeing a difference between wall-clock time and cpu
> time.  In the screen file I can see there is a snap! procedure that
> writes a frame to disk after each interval.  It looks as if the disk
> i/o is interrupting the sleep counter and introducing a delay that
> depends on the system activity.

Oof.

> We may need to change tack to get accurate time delays.  One thought is
> to replace the timer with a 'repeat' procedure that repeats the
> previous frame.

I only wrote snap! because we don’t know how long it takes for output to
be produced by command line tools.  Not everything is instantaneous.
A regularly timed snap! was supposed to capture intermediate output such
as progress bars.

Are you saying you want to take snapshots in larger intervals and pad
the intermediate frames with duplicates of previous frames?

--
Ricardo

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-06 20:34                                                                                                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-06 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Wurmus; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Ricardo,

> Are you saying you want to take snapshots in larger intervals and pad
> the intermediate frames with duplicates of previous frames?

Thank you for writing the snap! procedure.  It is writing the output as
intended.

The problem we ran into was to do with the timing.  If you go back in
this thread you will see the history.

In order to produce .webm files that are compatible with the Firefox
browser it is necessary to eliminate gaps in the audio streams.  ffmpeg
can do this automatically using the 'apad' filter.  However, it will
truncate the audio stream if the video stream is shorter in duration
than the audio stream.

So, in preparing the cli session files we need to be able to accurately
set the duration of the last 'sleep' command.  Since we know the frame
rate (25 fps) it is straightforward to calculate the number of repeated
frames we need for any given duration.  This is the job of the new
'repeat' procedure.

In this way we effectively replace the timer with a counter.

The session files now need to be checked to tune the sleep commands to
synchronize with the audio stream.  I will be able to look at 02-daily-
use1 again tomorrow.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-08 20:47                                                                                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-08 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!
> Great.  These are the same, my timings expressed in seconds yours in
> minutes and seconds.
Oh, didn't notice that.

> So we should be able to finish from here without major obstacles.
> However, I suspect that the cli timings that you did previously will
> need to be re-checked as we will now be using the accurate 'sleep'
> command.
Yes, I checked the 02-daily-use1 and now I get what you mean about the
timings. I tested it with firefox and everything -except the cli
session file's timing- seems to work :)
Now I am generating all the videos and will be pushing the changes asap.

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-08 23:14                                                                                                                   ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-08 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Now I am generating all the videos and will be pushing the changes
> asap.

Great stuff.

I have made a start, setting the durations for the first three videos.
If you pull the changes you can check the inner timings as well.  The
sum of the sleep commands should now be correct for these videos.

I plan to finish the coarse level sleep settings for the remaining
videos in the next few days.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-09 14:57                                                                                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-09 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:14 PM Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> Hi Laura,
>
> > Now I am generating all the videos and will be pushing the changes
> > asap.
>
> Great stuff.
>
> I have made a start, setting the durations for the first three videos.
> If you pull the changes you can check the inner timings as well.  The
> sum of the sleep commands should now be correct for these videos.
>
> I plan to finish the coarse level sleep settings for the remaining
> videos in the next few days.
Oh, I was working on the timing of the cli session files too, after
pulling I see the only one that needs to be finished is 04-packaging3.
Would you like me to adjust it? I will be also testing the previous
ones to check everything is fine :)

Gábor, is your client still offering their storage to upload the
videos there so that the community can see them, give their opinion
and so on without having to spend time generating them?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-09 17:54                                                                                                                       ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-09 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I see the only one that needs to be finished is 04-packaging3.
> Would you like me to adjust it?

I can do the coarse adjustment on that one, to set the overall duration
and make sure that the audio streams are not truncated.

Could you re-build the other videos and check the internal timings?
This is the fine adjustment that synchronizes the audio with the
command line output.

I have briefly checked that this is sensible but there could be
improvements to be made.  The overall duration should stay the same.
So if you remove 1000 ms of sleep from one section, for example, it
needs to be added back in elsewhere.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 19:50                                                                                                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-10 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> I can do the coarse adjustment on that one, to set the overall duration
> and make sure that the audio streams are not truncated.
I have already pulled and I am building all the videos.

> Could you re-build the other videos and check the internal timings?
> This is the fine adjustment that synchronizes the audio with the
> command line output.
By this, do you  mean checking that the audio matches the video,
taking into account that if I have to add some silence in between I
have to remove the same amount of time somewhere else?

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 20:19                                                                                                                       ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-05-10 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello!

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj.
9., Cs, 16:58):

> Hi Paul!
>
> On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:14 PM Paul Garlick
> <pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Laura,
> >
> > > Now I am generating all the videos and will be pushing the changes
> > > asap.
> >
> > Great stuff.
> >
> > I have made a start, setting the durations for the first three videos.
> > If you pull the changes you can check the inner timings as well.  The
> > sum of the sleep commands should now be correct for these videos.
> >
> > I plan to finish the coarse level sleep settings for the remaining
> > videos in the next few days.
> Oh, I was working on the timing of the cli session files too, after
> pulling I see the only one that needs to be finished is 04-packaging3.
> Would you like me to adjust it? I will be also testing the previous
> ones to check everything is fine :)
>
> Gábor, is your client still offering their storage to upload the
> videos there so that the community can see them, give their opinion
> and so on without having to spend time generating them?
>
> I will ask on Monday.

> Regards :)
> Laura

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 21:54                                                                                                                           ` Paul Garlick
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-10 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> Could you re-build the other videos and check the internal timings?
> This is the fine adjustment that synchronizes the audio with the
> command line output.
> By this, do you  mean checking that the audio matches the video,
> taking into account that if I have to add some silence in between I
> have to remove the same amount of time somewhere else?

Yes.  I think that the total duration of each cli session is now good.
However, there may be improvements in a few places to further
synchronize the narration with the screen output.

For example, if a particular output is displayed slightly ahead of the
narration one could add some extra sleep before the section and remove
the same amount after.

That way the total duration, of each session, will stay the same.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 21:57                                                                                                                         ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-10 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi Gábor :)

> I will ask on Monday.
Thank you :)

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 21:58                                                                                                                             ` Laura Lazzati
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-10 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

> Yes.  I think that the total duration of each cli session is now good.
> However, there may be improvements in a few places to further
> synchronize the narration with the screen output.
>
> For example, if a particular output is displayed slightly ahead of the
> narration one could add some extra sleep before the section and remove
> the same amount after.
>
> That way the total duration, of each session, will stay the same.
Great! It was what I understood but wanted to check it :)

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-10 22:34                                                                                                                           ` sirgazil
From: sirgazil @ 2019-05-10 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

---- On Fri, 10 May 2019 16:57:11 -0500 Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> wrote ----

 > Hi Gábor :)
 >
 > > I will ask on Monday.
 > Thank you :)

For what is worth, they could also be uploaded to https://archive.org/

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-21  2:52                                                                                                                             ` Laura Lazzati
  2019-05-21  8:29                                                                                                                               ` Gábor Boskovits
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-21  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sirgazil; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi!

> For what is worth, they could also be uploaded to https://archive.org/
Interesting! I was thinking about sth internal for the community first
but the environment for the creation is available, so no problem for
me. What do the others think?

BTW, I finished generating the videos.
Sth weird happens with totem. I end up having a segmentation fault,
here is the output.
I found the issue with the first cli session video of the installation
tutorial. - I will be updating the output with the new release info ;)

Version: totem    3.26.2, Ubuntu 18.04 foreign distro.
guix (GNU Guix) 7a890145e3bc9d7aebd753ab2ccc3ba1aecfaf06

<---------------------------------start------------------------------------------>
totem 01-installation-from-script.webm
Gtk-Message: 22:12:19.594: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 22:12:19.596: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

(totem:1963): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:12:19.870:
gtk_window_present_with_time() should not be called with 0, or
GDK_CURRENT_TIME as a timestamp, the timestamp should instead be
gathered at the time the user initiated the request for the window to
be shown

(totem:1963): Gtk-WARNING **: 22:12:20.221: Drawing a gadget with
negative dimensions. Did you forget to allocate a size? (node slider
owner GtkScale)

(totem:1963): libpeas-WARNING **: 22:15:13.273: Type not found in
introspection: 'PeasActivatable'

(totem:1963): libpeas-WARNING **: 22:15:13.274: Method
'PeasActivatable.deactivate' was not found
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
<---------------------------------end------------------------------------------>

/var/log/kern.log:
<---------------------------------start------------------------------------------>

May 20 22:11:47 ada kernel: [  101.858689] ..totem-real-re[1841]:
segfault at 0 ip 00007f3a61cc78ad sp 00007fff1fa7f120 error 4 in
libmovie-properties.so[7f3a61cc6000+3000]
May 20 22:15:13 ada kernel: [  307.229149] ..totem-real-re[1963]:
segfault at 0 ip 00007ff15f39c8ad sp 00007fffdb0fe3c0 error 4 in
libmovie-properties.so[7ff15f39b000+3000]

<---------------------------------end------------------------------------------>

/var/log/syslog
<---------------------------------start------------------------------------------>
May 20 22:11:00 ada /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[940]: (II) modeset(0):
EDID vendor "VBX", prod id 0
May 20 22:11:00 ada /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[940]: (II) modeset(0):
DDCModeFromDetailedTiming: 1315x669 Warning: We only handle separate
sync.
May 20 22:11:00 ada /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[940]: (II) modeset(0):
Using hsync ranges from config file
May 20 22:11:00 ada /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[940]: (II) modeset(0):
Using vrefresh ranges from config file
May 20 22:11:01 ada org.gnome.Shell.desktop[1113]: Window manager
warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a
timestamp of 0 for 0x2a00013 ()
May 20 22:11:27 ada gnome-software[1864]: plugin appstream took 3,3
seconds to do setup
May 20 22:11:27 ada gnome-software[1864]: enabled plugins: os-release,
packagekit-offline, packagekit-refresh, packagekit-proxy,
packagekit-local, systemd-updates, shell-extensions, fwupd,
packagekit-upgrade, packagekit, packagekit-refine-repos, ubuntuone,
packagekit-url-to-app, desktop-categories, appstream, modalias,
hardcoded-featured, rewrite-resource, hardcoded-popular, odrs,
hardcoded-blacklist, packagekit-refine, generic-updates,
desktop-menu-path, steam, snap, provenance, packagekit-history,
provenance-license, icons, key-colors, key-colors-metadata
May 20 22:11:27 ada gnome-software[1864]: disabled plugins: dummy,
repos, dpkg, epiphany
May 20 22:11:28 ada dbus-daemon[633]: [system] Activating via systemd:
service name='org.freedesktop.fwupd' unit='fwupd.service' requested by
':1.69' (uid=1000 pid=1864 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-software
--gapplication-service " label="unconfined")
May 20 22:11:28 ada systemd[1]: Starting Firmware update daemon...
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: disabling plugin because: failed to
startup dell: Firmware updating not supported
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: disabling plugin because: failed to
startup uefi: UEFI firmware updating not supported
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: disabling plugin because: failed to
coldplug amt: Unable to find a ME interface
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: disabling plugin because: failed to
coldplug thunderbolt_power: No support for force power via kernel or
bolt
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: disabling plugin because: failed to
coldplug synapticsmst: MST firmware updating not supported by OEM
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: using plugins: unifying, ebitdo,
steelseries, thunderbolt, colorhug, udev, upower, altos, wacomhid,
dfu, nitrokey, csr
May 20 22:11:28 ada fwupd[1887]: Daemon ready for requests
May 20 22:11:29 ada dbus-daemon[633]: [system] Successfully activated
service 'org.freedesktop.fwupd'
May 20 22:11:29 ada systemd[1]: Started Firmware update daemon.
May 20 22:11:30 ada PackageKit: get-updates transaction /206_bcbdaaac
from uid 1000 finished with success after 2326ms
May 20 22:11:30 ada gnome-software[1864]: Only 0 apps for recent list, hiding
May 20 22:11:32 ada PackageKit: resolve transaction /207_cabccbbc from
uid 1000 finished with success after 1497ms
May 20 22:11:34 ada PackageKit: resolve transaction /208_deadbcac from
uid 1000 finished with success after 1442ms
May 20 22:11:34 ada gnome-software[1864]: hiding category graphics
featured applications: found only 1 to show, need at least 9
May 20 22:11:36 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /209_aaabdbca
from uid 1000 finished with success after 2583ms
May 20 22:11:38 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /210_ecedaeea
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1495ms
May 20 22:11:39 ada gnome-shell[1113]: [AppIndicatorSupport-DEBUG]
Registering StatusNotifierItem
:1.60/org/ayatana/NotificationItem/software_update_available
May 20 22:11:39 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /211_beedbebe
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1458ms
May 20 22:11:40 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /212_aadeeabe
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1178ms
May 20 22:11:42 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /213_cbdcdbcd
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1441ms
May 20 22:11:43 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /214_eaceaacd
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1180ms
May 20 22:11:44 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /215_babeecbd
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1236ms
May 20 22:11:45 ada PackageKit: get-details transaction /216_dbbcbbcd
from uid 1000 finished with success after 1181ms
May 20 22:11:45 ada gnome-software[1864]: Failed to load snap icon:
local snap has no icon
May 20 22:11:47 ada kernel: [  101.858687] show_signal_msg: 23
callbacks suppressed
May 20 22:11:47 ada kernel: [  101.858689] ..totem-real-re[1841]:
segfault at 0 ip 00007f3a61cc78ad sp 00007fff1fa7f120 error 4 in
libmovie-properties.so[7f3a61cc6000+3000]
<---------------------------------end------------------------------------------>

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-21  8:29                                                                                                                               ` Gábor Boskovits
  2019-05-22 12:54                                                                                                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Gábor Boskovits @ 2019-05-21  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hello Laura,

Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj.
21., K, 4:52):

> Hi!
>

> > For what is worth, they could also be uploaded to https://archive.org/
> Interesting! I was thinking about sth internal for the community first
> but the environment for the creation is available, so no problem for
> me. What do the others think?

My client told me that they are still moving their hardware, and they won't
be able to
reliably serve the content for a few weeks. I believe that we could use
archive.org.

> [...]
> May 20 22:11:42 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /213_cbdcdbcd
> from uid 1000 finished with success after 1441ms
> May 20 22:11:43 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /214_eaceaacd
> from uid 1000 finished with success after 1180ms
> May 20 22:11:44 ada PackageKit: search-file transaction /215_babeecbd
> from uid 1000 finished with success after 1236ms
> May 20 22:11:45 ada PackageKit: get-details transaction /216_dbbcbbcd
> from uid 1000 finished with success after 1181ms
> May 20 22:11:45 ada gnome-software[1864]: Failed to load snap icon:
> local snap has no icon
> May 20 22:11:47 ada kernel: [  101.858687] show_signal_msg: 23
> callbacks suppressed
> May 20 22:11:47 ada kernel: [  101.858689] ..totem-real-re[1841]:
> segfault at 0 ip 00007f3a61cc78ad sp 00007fff1fa7f120 error 4 in
> libmovie-properties.so[7f3a61cc6000+3000]

Best regards,
g_bor

* Re: Video narration
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-22 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gábor Boskovits; +Cc: Guix-devel, Paul Garlick

Hi :)

> Hello Laura,
>
> Laura Lazzati <laura.lazzati.15@gmail.com> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. máj. 21., K, 4:52):
>>
>> Hi!
>>

>> > For what is worth, they could also be uploaded to https://archive.org/
>> Interesting! I was thinking about sth internal for the community first
>> but the environment for the creation is available, so no problem for
>> me. What do the others think?
>>

> My client told me that they are still moving their hardware, and they won't be able to
> reliably serve the content for a few weeks. I believe that we could use archive.org.
Fine! I have already created an account. I am arranging cli session
files / svg files to adapt them to the new release and seeing if I can
improve the timings. Will be uploading the videos ASAP.

Regards :)
Laura

* Re: Video narration
  2019-05-21  8:29                                                                                                                               ` Gábor Boskovits
@ 2019-05-23 10:14                                                                                                                               ` Paul Garlick
  2019-05-23 14:07                                                                                                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-23 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati, sirgazil; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> BTW, I finished generating the videos.
> Sth weird happens with totem. I end up having a segmentation fault,

Did this problem resolve itself?

I tested 01-installation-from-script on my system without seeing any
interruption.  I am testing with totem version 3.26.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.

Best regards,

Paul.

* Re: Video narration
@ 2019-05-23 14:07                                                                                                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
  2019-05-23 21:36                                                                                                                                   ` Paul Garlick
From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-23 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi!

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 7:14 AM Paul Garlick
<pgarlick@tourbillion-technology.com> wrote:

> Did this problem resolve itself?
>
> I tested 01-installation-from-script on my system without seeing any
> interruption.  I am testing with totem version 3.26.0 on Ubuntu 18.04.
I found the reason for this.
I have a minimal installation of Ubuntu 18.04.
I installed all the software I need with guix instead of apt, so I was
using the version of totem that comes with guix. I removed this
version and installed the one that comes with apt, and noticed that it
also installed: gir1.2-totem-1.0, gir1.2-totemplparser-1.0, libtotem0
and  totem-common, and after that, I didn't  find anymore segmentation
faults. I searched just a little on the web and found this:
https://packages.ubuntu.com/bionic-updates/gir1.2-totem-1.0
Then, I removed the version of totem that comes with ubuntu and tried
again with the one that comes with guix and the same result :/
I wanted to take a look at how totem was packaged but I can't find it,
I feel so newbie right now :(

Regards!
Laura

* Re: Video narration
  2019-05-23 14:07                                                                                                                                 ` Laura Lazzati
@ 2019-05-23 21:36                                                                                                                                   ` Paul Garlick
  2019-05-25 18:19                                                                                                                                     ` Laura Lazzati
From: Paul Garlick @ 2019-05-23 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laura Lazzati; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Laura,

> I found the reason for this.

Great.

> I wanted to take a look at how totem was packaged but I can't find
> it.

The method I use to track packages is to search at
https://guix-hpc.bordeaux.inria.fr/browse

In this case a search for 'totem' points to the definition at
gnu/packages/gnome.scm, line 3845.

If you take a look at the definition you can see how the dependencies
are specified.  I am not very familiar with the Gnome packages but I
could imagine there may be a difference between the Debian list of
dependencies and the Guix list.

Perhaps your test has revealed a bug in the Guix packaging of totem.

From: Laura Lazzati @ 2019-05-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Garlick; +Cc: Guix-devel

Hi Paul!

> The method I use to track packages is to search at
> https://guix-hpc.bordeaux.inria.fr/browse
Thanks! My bad, I knew about this site but I never tracked a package,
it is very useful. When I finish with the videos I will see if I can
shed some light at least.

> Perhaps your test has revealed a bug in the Guix packaging of totem.
Hope not :P

Regards :)
Laura